There are 288 users in the forums

Did Joe Montana and Steve young ever reconcile?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
You cant have a relationship with a guy that likes the steelers...good for you Steve...dont talk to this guy.to me you are better QB...
Originally posted by Pick6:
That was a BAD situation... there has never been and I don't think ever will be again a QB controversy like Joe and Steve. I actually think considering everything its amazing how well that situation went. I can see where both guys would be understandably unhappy... hell BOTH are all time greats, HOF players two of the best QB's to ever play the game!

I'm trying to come up with a comparable situation today and there just isn't one. Maybe if the Colts had kept Manning and drafted Luck... I think Manning is closer to the end than Montana was when the 9ers signed Steve. But can you see any way possible that Manning and Luck could co exist for 4 years... especially with the Colts giving Luck occasional starts (in which he plays well) because they are unsure of Mannings health?

It would be like the Patriots trading for Cam Newton (or Kaep, Luck, RGIII, Wilson, etc) and putting them on the bench for a couple years, then giving them some spot starts for a couple more because of health concerns. Its not going to happen today because that situation would blow up.
Aaron Rodgers and Bret Favre. When Rodgers got drafted, that's when the whole Bret Favre circus act.
I think the best controversy ever was Alex Smith vs. Tim Rattay/Shaun Hill/JT O' Sullivan/Nate Davis/Troy Smith/Colin Kaepernick.

Alex Smith is the greatest transitional Quarterback in history and he needs to be in the hall of fame for most QB Controversy victories.

Hes 5-1 all time in QB Controversies, and if he goes to New York and beats Sanchez, he will be the greatest QB slayer of QB Controversies in NFL history hands down. Someone get this man a trophy.
[ Edited by Kronos2560 on Jan 15, 2013 at 8:22 PM ]
For christ's sake can we get one thread without an Alex reference?
I heard at a function Joe reffered to Steve as "the other guy"
Originally posted by Kronos2560:
I think the best controversy ever was Alex Smith vs. Tim Rattay/Shaun Hill/JT O' Sullivan/Nate Davis/Troy Smith/Colin Kaepernick.

Alex Smith is the greatest transitional Quarterback in history and he needs to be in the hall of fame for most QB Controversy victories.

Hes 5-1 all time in QB Controversies, and if he goes to New York and beats Sanchez, he will be the greatest QB slayer of QB Controversies in NFL history hands down. Someone get this man a trophy.

Replace Nate Davis with David Carr. Nate never had any chance of starting.
Originally posted by Grifter420:
That was a BAD situation... there has never been and I don't think ever will be again a QB controversy like Joe and Steve. I actually think considering everything its amazing how well that situation went. I can see where both guys would be understandably unhappy... hell BOTH are all time greats, HOF players two of the best QB's to ever play the game!

I'm trying to come up with a comparable situation today and there just isn't one. Maybe if the Colts had kept Manning and drafted Luck... I think Manning is closer to the end than Montana was when the 9ers signed Steve. But can you see any way possible that Manning and Luck could co exist for 4 years... especially with the Colts giving Luck occasional starts (in which he plays well) because they are unsure of Mannings health?

It would be like the Patriots trading for Cam Newton (or Kaep, Luck, RGIII, Wilson, etc) and putting them on the bench for a couple years, then giving them some spot starts for a couple more because of health concerns. Its not going to happen today because that situation would blow up.
Aaron Rodgers and Bret Favre. When Rodgers got drafted, that's when the whole Bret Favre circus act.

about a year and a half ago (after gb wont the sb) i seen an interview with rodgers and he was asked a question about his relationship with brett favre, he dint even say favres name and said something like "i dont have a relationship with that guy".....frosty realtions to say the least
Originally posted by Grifter420:

True. Remembered reading this:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/tim_layden/01/28/rodgers/
Steve ALWAYS talks in the most glowing terms about Joe. E.g. on an ESPN radio show just yesterday (Steve is such a breath of fresh air as a talking head: intelligent, articulate and never pulling any punches).

Joe has always been more aloof about the team in general.
  • mod
  • Veteran
No they hate each others guts, who gives a f**k, seriously what is this cosmo? gonna ask this question once a year?

Originally posted by 49ercrusher:
You cant have a relationship with a guy that likes the steelers...good for you Steve...dont talk to this guy.to me you are better QB...

People forget just how average Joe was in some of those NFC Title games

Joe: 1981 vs Cowboys: 22-35, 3 TDs & 3 INTs, 81.4 rating
Steve: 1992 vs Cowboys: 25-35, 2 TDs, 2 INTs, 84.6 rating

Joe: 1984 vs Bears: 18-34, 1 TD, 2 INTs, 60.0 rating
Steve: 1993 vs Cowboys: 27-45, 2 TD's, 1 INT, 76.8 rating

The difference wasn't Joe....it was the Hall of Fame defense. Sorry Joe fanboys.
Originally posted by KEGster:

The difference wasn't Joe....it was the Hall of Fame defense. Sorry Joe fanboys.

Lol! You must be too young to have seen joe play. He made it look easy. Especially in superbowls.
Originally posted by b9er37:
Originally posted by KEGster:

Lol! You must be too young to have seen joe play. He made it look easy. Especially in superbowls.

this argument will never be settled. the old farts will say joe, the 90s kids will say steve. im a 90s kid and steve is my favorite player of all time,the way things shook out tho joe is the best ever. i do think that if steve didnt take the ziz zag pattern to starting in the nfl that he did and had walsh he wouldve been better than joe. he had the strength, speed, accuracy and intelligence to do it but he had to come from another league, suffer in tampa bay and then sit behind joe for 4 years before he got to start. thats how it happened tho and im happy with joe being number 1 and steve as a really close 2. the two greatest qbs of all time were both niners as far as im concerned
Originally posted by b9er37:

''Especially in superbowls''

As for as I know, Steve Young has the greatest individual Super Bowl performance ever
Share 49ersWebzone