There are 220 users in the forums

Willis uninspired or hurt?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Willis said he was "rusty". Season is half way over with 9 games done and 7 more to go. Must been going to the steak house once to many in the bye week and sleeping good too many nights...
Willis was just on 95.7 and talked about the 2 plays vs. Stephen Jackson: The one where SJ go the 1st down on a 3rd and long by dragging Willis et al for 4 yards, and the last Rams TD where he blitzed the A-gap.

the first play, he said he thought SJ already passed the 1st down marker and was holding SJ up for another person to strip it
the second play, he said he didnt want to be that guy to pass up the RB and go for the QB and then they hand it off, so he was kind of stuck in the middle
Originally posted by FourNine49:
Willis was just on 95.7 and talked about the 2 plays vs. Stephen Jackson: The one where SJ go the 1st down on a 3rd and long by dragging Willis et al for 4 yards, and the last Rams TD where he blitzed the A-gap.

the first play, he said he thought SJ already passed the 1st down marker and was holding SJ up for another person to strip it
the second play, he said he didnt want to be that guy to pass up the RB and go for the QB and then they hand it off, so he was kind of stuck in the middle

Lots of excuses to go with the rustiness he brought up himself. Willis has pride no doubt, a big name and expectations every week to live up to, but if you can't do your job well, you might as well sit yourself down, cause if you're not playing well you're not really giving your team a chance to win...
[ Edited by MrTruth on Nov 12, 2012 at 3:24 PM ]

Williscuses
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Williscuses

LOL pretty much... he felt guilty after the game Which is a good sign... cause we all know there are tons of NFL players that don't care and would rather keep milking that money till it's dry...
Originally posted by MrTruth:
LOL pretty much... he felt guilty after the game Which is a good sign... cause we all know there are tons of NFL players that don't care and would rather keep milking that money till it's dry...

Willis isn't like that
Thank God.. The dude loves football

still the best MLB in the league in my opinion, not 1 MLB I'd take over him and 1 bad game doesn't change that
It's stephen jackson, dude is hugh. He's bigger than willis. Stephen finally has a better team around him, and got the best of willis he was due one. Great pickup on the blitz too. I think jackson just finally showed up and got the better of him. Not a easy man to bring down by any means.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

Williscuses

It was Alex's fault in all seriousness.

As to Willis, didn't he get married? That explains it...he's soft now and can't concentrate on his craft. When the baby is on the way, we need to trade him QUICK!
LOL I hope you guys are being sarcastic. Easy for us to speculate Willis' play sitting on the couch, but he's a beast and is our best option BY FAR. NT is so damn emotional after a loss, and this wasn't even a loss. #Whiners
The play that S Jax "ran him over" the rams guard came in and pushed S Jax to get the momentum moving the rams way. I don't know about you but I don't expect Willis to be able to overpower almost 600 lbs of humanity pushing violently towards him. And getting pushed back by S Jax is not exactly embarrassing if it happens once or twice. Willis has done an incredible job of tackling this beast (and just about every other back he's faced) one on one through the years. I have a good friend who is a rams fan who marvels at how Willis has owned S Jax (who is his favorite ram) since Willis has come in the league. Missing 3-4 tackles a year for someone who has lead the league in tackles multiple times is going to happen from time to time. More attempts = more failures. Patrick is not having his best year statistically, but that is because he is now surrounded by more talent than ever and doesn't need to make every play like he did earlier in his career. Like all of our players, he plays within the scheme and is not allowed to freelance to boost his own stats. Which is exactly what our coaches want.

• MarkD
  • Veteran
The reason why the Defense and Willis aren't playing as well is because Sopoaga isn't getting the job done. He is not clogging the middle and taking on the double teams like he used to last year. The defensive line isn't getting pressure because of that and teams are getting to the second level taking out Willis.
Originally posted by bpg4980:
The play that S Jax "ran him over" the rams guard came in and pushed S Jax to get the momentum moving the rams way. I don't know about you but I don't expect Willis to be able to overpower almost 600 lbs of humanity pushing violently towards him. And getting pushed back by S Jax is not exactly embarrassing if it happens once or twice. Willis has done an incredible job of tackling this beast (and just about every other back he's faced) one on one through the years. I have a good friend who is a rams fan who marvels at how Willis has owned S Jax (who is his favorite ram) since Willis has come in the league. Missing 3-4 tackles a year for someone who has lead the league in tackles multiple times is going to happen from time to time. More attempts = more failures. Patrick is not having his best year statistically, but that is because he is now surrounded by more talent than ever and doesn't need to make every play like he did earlier in his career. Like all of our players, he plays within the scheme and is not allowed to freelance to boost his own stats. Which is exactly what our coaches want.

Thank you thank you thank you it's about time I see some real talk on here you are 100% right Willis had S.Jackson going backwards and the guard came to the rescue and shifted the momentum. I'm glad I'm not the only one that saw that. Real fans watch every play not just stat watch. Willis is in a different scheme than all the other LB's that have been mentioned on this thread I would like to see L.Briggs, B.Urlacher. D.Washington or any other ILB you want to bring up cover the tight ends runningbacks and wide receivers at that like Willis does. Real fans would know since Jim and Vick came in The Bowman and Willis tandem have been used differently than the Mike Singletarys Spikes and Willis tandem. Oh and let's not forget since 2007 Willis and Jackson have been going at it like two wrecking balls and Willis has pretty much won every battle. Does that mean that Steven Jackson Sucks give Jackson some credit for getting some work in he didn't beat Willis but he did WORK THE TEAM. And Willis wasn't making any excuses he was being honest and he didn't take anything away from the Rams. Real Talk in here please get out of here with all that other BS...
Originally posted by susweel:
Cut him and bring back Derek Smith.

Jeff Ulbrich
Originally posted by MarkD:
The reason why the Defense and Willis aren't playing as well is because Sopoaga isn't getting the job done. He is not clogging the middle and taking on the double teams like he used to last year. The defensive line isn't getting pressure because of that and teams are getting to the second level taking out Willis.

Yes yes yes I have another real fan and you are 100% right ever since he got hurt in the Vikings game he hasnt been the same guy. Something is up with him. Real Niner fans lets school all the other bandwagon statwagon Niner fans on here.
Isn't it the D-lines job to occupy blockers to allow the LBs room to roam. which doesn't explain PW getting pushed backwards but the whole D-line has been unimpressive in most games. McDonald and Justin Smith have 1/2 sack between the 2 of them?
From what I have heard on pregame and post-game shows the defense has changed it's scheme since last year. Last year they played a simplified scheme and this year have gone to more man coverage etc.so maybe this is the reason for the poor play this past game. Made me sick watching the rookie (13 yard) punter chirping after throwing for first downs.

I'm going to chalk it up to too much time off with the extra days off Harbaugh gave them over the bye and looking ahead and under-estimating the Rams with Fisher as coach. Next game against the Rams will be different.
Share 49ersWebzone