There are 192 users in the forums

Willis uninspired or hurt?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • kray28
  • Veteran
If he's hurt...we need him healthy form the stretch run....hold him out.
trade for tebow now!!!!
Some of you all would've traded or released Joe Montana after few bad games. And yes, he did actually have them.
There's more than 1 person at fault here, as much as i want to point a finger i'd point the finger on the team. Up and down from Special teams to the Coaching it was a bad game.IMO Pat is doing well, can't expect him to have 15 TT a game.
Originally posted by 49ersOnMINE:
There's more than 1 person at fault here, as much as i want to point a finger i'd point the finger on the team. Up and down from Special teams to the Coaching it was a bad game.IMO Pat is doing well, can't expect him to have 15 TT a game.

Can't blame this one on AS, like the AS critics always do. Lousy tie due to a uninspired or hurt, needed to sit if he was, Willis = boring 49er football. Akers miss OT kick didn't help but the 9ers only got a tie cause the rams made undisciplined mistakes, while the 49ers just was playing under par, especially Willis on defense run stopping (that's his #1 job as the MLB).
[ Edited by MrTruth on Nov 12, 2012 at 5:38 AM ]
Rest and the Rams are not the best things for an extremely trained body. That bye week wall may have chilled the motor's oil too much. I saw a productive game from him if you ask me. The zone has no respect for his talents I see. I bet other nfl coaches would take him.
The trend for Stephan Jackson is make him turnover or hurt him. He has to be on the sideline for him to not get a hundred yards. But for the doubters of our Defense it took all of over time and 29 carries just to past the century mark.
I am in shock every time one of these threads starts... it has been well documented that WIllis is put in a lot of schemes that have him covering a tight end, etc... the whole idea of our defense is that each person takes care of his job and doesnt try to do everyone elses job. It is quite possible that teams scheme to get Willis away from the play.
Originally posted by ubaisore:
I am in shock every time one of these threads starts... it has been well documented that WIllis is put in a lot of schemes that have him covering a tight end, etc... the whole idea of our defense is that each person takes care of his job and doesnt try to do everyone elses job. It is quite possible that teams scheme to get Willis away from the play.

Rewatch the game. Didn't shed block to get ball carrier. Didn't rush to tackle ball carrier. Mostly jogging to the ball carrier while ball carrier wasn't down yet.
Shy away from contact when ball carrier was insight/distance for tackle.

This is no usual Willis. Except for one good solo tackle in the 4th quarter and a few assist where he just use his back to lay on the ball carrier, he looked hurt or just didn't want to play football and do his MLB job.

Willis is the heart of the 49er defense while Gore is on offense, but if he is playing hurt and not doing his job, he might as well sit and let Larry Grant play and do the job.
[ Edited by MrTruth on Nov 12, 2012 at 5:55 AM ]
  • Ruhl
  • Veteran
Willis does drop into coverage more often than Bowman in the base 3-4. Go compare boxscores against our vikings game (run heavy) and the Cardinals game (9 runs). Bowman is getting the more traditional mike assignments where as willis is trusted to drop into coverage.

Much to Justin Smiths "loser ball" point, I'd challenge people to look at the body of work as opposed to a stat sheet. This wasn't a good game by any stretch and its easy to question that mantra after the rams drop 24 on us at home, but outside of the 1st quarter and special teams, this was close to a typical defensive game for us. A good slot receiver keeps drives alive and it eventually leads to points.

Originally posted by Ruhl:
Willis does drop into coverage more often than Bowman in the base 3-4. Go compare boxscores against our vikings game (run heavy) and the Cardinals game (9 runs). Bowman is getting the more traditional mike assignments where as willis is trusted to drop into coverage.

TE Lance Kendricks 48 yds, 2nd on rams yesterday. Rewatch the game, Willis did not shed blocks to go after rams RBs and when he was free he jogged to the ball carrier and didn't help at all to tackle. It looked like he sit around on the lazy boy during the bye week and looked past the rams like Spagnuolo was still their HC...

NOT good. When you are suppose to be the best player on your defense, especially when it comes to stopping the run, if you don't do that you don't give your team a chance to win week in week out. AS took a big hit trying to get some yds while there was no one open and then got concussed on a 4th and 1 QB sneak... The least Willis can do is do his job and stop the run.

That's how the 3-5 rams almost BEAT the 9ers yesterday. THEY run the ball all over us, in our own field.
[ Edited by MrTruth on Nov 12, 2012 at 6:54 AM ]
Blaming Willis.............
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Blaming Willis.............

Let's blame AS again
[ Edited by MrTruth on Nov 12, 2012 at 7:27 AM ]
  • Ruhl
  • Veteran
Stats don't tell the whole story. There are too many variable to attribute all of kendricks yardage to one player. People are doing the same with amendola and rogers. Their run game was only super effective in the 1st quarter (nearly half of their production). I plan to watch the game again when the "coaches film" is released.
Originally posted by Ruhl:
Stats don't tell the whole story. There are too many variable to attribute all of kendricks yardage to one player. People are doing the same with amendola and rogers. Their run game was only super effective in the 1st quarter (nearly half of their production). I plan to watch the game again when the "coaches film" is released.

3-5 Rams ran all over the 9ers in their own house, cause Willis took a day off, and won the game if not for their penalties on multiple occasions. Rewatching the game actually makes no difference at this point. I deleted that crap on my DVR as soon as the game was over.
[ Edited by MrTruth on Nov 12, 2012 at 7:37 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone