LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 149 users in the forums

Week 7: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Byisgod:
Hey Marv, I know you mentioned that the OL played great, but could you possibly elaborate on how Iupati played specifically? I didn't get a chance to key in on him while watching last night, and someone on one of the Seahawks forums said that he had a monster game.

I'd have to go over it again as I wasn't watching any one specidic lineman. All I can say is that whenever any member of the line needed to move someone, 90% of the time that defender got moved. Can't ask for better than that.

Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Agreed. The fans dogging Smith mercilessly seem to forget or dismiss the fact that we were facing the NFL's #4 ranked defense.

Yes. There were several times that you could see him go through all of his progressions and then simplyb have nowhere to go with the ball. You can make an arguement about him throwing players open, but after throwing 3 picks last week he wasn't going to make the mistake that killed them.

What? Reason? Logic? There is no place for it here!!

But seriously, that pick was on Alex. Not good. But he ran the offense well. Without his in- game management, Gore does not blow up like he did.

But more seriously, I love you guys.

A few 'KILL KILL KILL' that I remember resulted in Gore running wild in the secondary.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Oct 19, 2012 at 11:21 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Nice post, Marvin. Good stuff, man. Got to do one every week.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Thank you Marvin. That was refreshing. I wish most people would see things rationally like you. Great post as always.

This.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Agreed. The fans dogging Smith mercilessly seem to forget or dismiss the fact that we were facing the NFL's #4 ranked defense.

Yes. There were several times that you could see him go through all of his progressions and then simplyb have nowhere to go with the ball. You can make an arguement about him throwing players open, but after throwing 3 picks last week he wasn't going to make the mistake that killed them.

But seriously, that pick was on Alex. Not good. But he ran the offense well. Without his in- game management, Gore does not blow up like he did.

A few 'KILL KILL KILL' that I remembered resulted in Gore running wild in the secondary.

And it's happened fairly frequently in the other games as well.
Nice to be back in the win column. ;-)

1) Alex Smith running tally: Stats after Eagles game in 2010. Now a complete 32 games or 2 full seasons worth of games. 32 Games, 883 Att, 558 Comp, 6406 Yards, 42 Tds, 13 INTs, 94.69 QB Rating. Alex came through on the TD drive, but he still had a rough night. As fun as it would be to just rip him a new one, I think we need to give some credit here to Seattle. They were BLANKETING the WRs out there. Seattle has a very, very good secondary. You could see Alex just shaking his head because nobody was shaking free of coverage. I also think there was ALOT of defensive holding out there that went FAR beyond 5 yards and Moss was CLEARLY interfered with early in the game on what would have been a first down. The INT was really an aberration for Alex. He VERY seldom throws picks in the Red-Zone. Bad throw? Yes. Bad Decision? Yes. Was Moss Wide Open? Yes. However, Alex was flushed out when Moss broke open. He may have been able to stand in and make the throw, but I'm not sure of that. A bad play tho regardless of how you look at it. Rough night for Alex against a very, very good defense.

I tend to agree with you, Marv, but it's those deep passes down the sideline to open WRs I find infuriating. I know all QBs are going to overthrow receivers at some point, but Alex seems to do this regularly. I just don't get it...
Originally posted by Byisgod:

A few 'KILL KILL KILL' that I remembered resulted in Gore running wild in the secondary.

And it's happened fairly frequently in the other games as well.

Harbaugh actually pointed it out in the postgame that Alex got them into the right call almost every single time. In that way, Alex was a huge part of the run game.
After rewatching the game, I realized that Russell Wilson is crazy accurate and will throw to literally blanketed receivers and place the ball through a window where only they can catch it.

The sideline pass to his Tight End was seriously accurate and just passed the shoulder of our DB.
The other sideline pass to Rice where Brown had underneath position but Wilson threw it high so Brown was not able to make a play on it. Brown had it literally covered.
The pass in the enzone to Braylon while being bracketed by two of our guys. Wilson placed it perfect and Willis was lucky to pop it out after it hit Braylon in the hands.
Great summary, as usual, Marvin.

I was struck by how the O-line was opening huge holes for Frank, so that he easily got to the second level without getting touched on many plays. On the other side, the Beast had to break way more tackles and fought for every foot he got.

They were getting their ass kicked in the first half but made adjustments and played the second half with real intensity. And of course you are right about turning down the safety - far better to have the ball under our control so that nothing crazy happens.
Originally posted by mickey49:
Nice to be back in the win column. ;-)

1) Alex Smith running tally: Stats after Eagles game in 2010. Now a complete 32 games or 2 full seasons worth of games. 32 Games, 883 Att, 558 Comp, 6406 Yards, 42 Tds, 13 INTs, 94.69 QB Rating. Alex came through on the TD drive, but he still had a rough night. As fun as it would be to just rip him a new one, I think we need to give some credit here to Seattle. They were BLANKETING the WRs out there. Seattle has a very, very good secondary. You could see Alex just shaking his head because nobody was shaking free of coverage. I also think there was ALOT of defensive holding out there that went FAR beyond 5 yards and Moss was CLEARLY interfered with early in the game on what would have been a first down. The INT was really an aberration for Alex. He VERY seldom throws picks in the Red-Zone. Bad throw? Yes. Bad Decision? Yes. Was Moss Wide Open? Yes. However, Alex was flushed out when Moss broke open. He may have been able to stand in and make the throw, but I'm not sure of that. A bad play tho regardless of how you look at it. Rough night for Alex against a very, very good defense.

I tend to agree with you, Marv, but it's those deep passes down the sideline to open WRs I find infuriating. I know all QBs are going to overthrow receivers at some point, but Alex seems to do this regularly. I just don't get it...

Thats fair. Drives me nuts too. What's weird tho is that he doesn't seem to have that issue with Vernon nearly as much as his other recievers. That tells me he CAN do better but for some reason isn't. Can't quite put my finger on that one.

The only thing I can think of is that he might have more confidense in putting it right on Vernon than he does in his WRs to go up and make a play on the ball so almost intentionally overthrows it trying to put it "where only his guy can get it".

Originally posted by Joecool:
After rewatching the game, I realized that Russell Wilson is crazy accurate and will throw to literally blanketed receivers and place the ball through a window where only they can catch it.

The sideline pass to his Tight End was seriously accurate and just passed the shoulder of our DB.
The other sideline pass to Rice where Brown had underneath position but Wilson threw it high so Brown was not able to make a play on it. Brown had it literally covered.
The pass in the enzone to Braylon while being bracketed by two of our guys. Wilson placed it perfect and Willis was lucky to pop it out after it hit Braylon in the hands.

That type of play sure catches up to him on the INT by Goldson.

Or when he puts it in the Endzone resulting in an INT by a GB defender that is credited as a TD for Seattle.

Wait...wha!?!

Not really. That INT throw was more of a prayer than anything. For the most part, he's a very accurate thrower. It definitely catches up if the QB is not very accurate or aware of where the ball needs to be placed.
[ Edited by Joecool on Oct 19, 2012 at 11:28 AM ]

Or when he puts it in the Endzone resulting in an INT by a GB defender that is credited as a TD for Seattle.

Wait...wha!?!

Originally posted by jreff22:

Wait...wha!?!

Yeah his 7 INT's to super safe Alex's 5 is just ridiculous. Yes, he's a rookie.
Share 49ersWebzone