There are 163 users in the forums

Official Roster Cutdown Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by niners9:
would have rather had another OLB than the 3rd TE. but overall i like the team

Delanie gets injured every other week.
Originally posted by ubaisore:
The San Francisco 49ers announced they have released 21 players. The team also traded S Colin Jones to the Carolina Panthers for an undisclosed draft pick. The 49ers roster now stands at 53 players.

The following players have been released:

LB Ikaika Alama-Francis LB Eric Bakhtiari RB Rock Cartwright T Derek Hall LB Joe Holland DT Tony Jerod-Eddie LB Cam Johnson QB Josh Johnson DT Matthew Masifilo CB Anthony Mosley TE Kyle Nelson T Al Netter WR Chris Owusu WR Nathan Palmer T Mike Person TE Konrad Reuland LB Kenny Rowe WR Brett Swain S Michael Thomas T Kenny Wiggins LB Michael Wilhoite
Some very good players being released. Would have liked to have seen some more trades.
Originally posted by Niner3030:
I see us picking someone off waivers/trade and dropping Brock.

Please, let's say good bye to Brock and pick up an able replacement.
I'd rather pickup Reggie Smith and drop McBath.
Originally posted by firehouse538:
I'd rather pickup Reggie Smith and drop McBath.

Why? The Niners traded him away last year for a reason.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
happy with these cuts.

For the most part. A little thin at OLB and OT, but strong everywhere else.
The Niners did not trade Smith, he left via free agency. He was considered the next starting FS before Goldson's emergence. He is a very capable backup compared to McBath.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by THEB:
@RealNaPalm
Not gone just yet bay area lol appreciate all the love and support

Sounds like he knows he has a PS spot if he clears waivers, which he most likely will

If we don't PS him, someone else will put him on the 53. Kid could be great one day.

If a team was going to put him on their 53 then they wouldnt care if he was on our practice squad. Theyd still do it.
Originally posted by firehouse538:
The Niners did not trade Smith, he left via free agency. He was considered the next starting FS before Goldson's emergence. He is a very capable backup compared to McBath.

Correct. It was reported (by the Matts) that he had a conversation w/Baalke, before FA this year, about wanting to compete to start somewhere, and he was informed that that place would probably not be here, so they decided not to spend time trying to negotiate a deal. Now that he has no job, he might feel a lot better about being a backup.
Wish we kept Bakhtiari. Loved watching him play.

Originally posted by btak49:
Wish we kept Bakhtiari. Loved watching him play.

Eh, couldn't pass rush against the ones.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by kujon11:
iz sad that colin jones got traded. white dude could fly on those kickoff coverage units

I can't believe they got rid of him. He's the best special teams coverage guy they had. Plus his head was always in the game. If there was a fumble or something he is always around the ball. I realize our roster is getting better and better and you have to cut somewhere. But that one hurts.

It really do hurt...Im about to cry on this on!
Where is Lawson playing now? Bengals or GB
[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Sep 1, 2012 at 9:20 AM ]
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Where is Lawson playing now? Bengals or GB

Cincy
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
bust draft class, lol. Only Jenkins, James and probably Looney left on roster. 2011 draft wise, Person and Jones now gone with Holcomb waived earlier, and RoJo gone last year.

idk how its a bust...

Ya I disagree with AB
Our team is just too stacked for all our 5th, 6th and 7th round projects to make our roster.

I think Jenkins will be very good once he adds some muscle, I think James can contribute this year and will be the big play threat we expect him to be. We didnt have a 3rd round pick. Looney competed with vets and made the squad so that's another positive.

Our 5th rounder Fleming tore his ACL, that's just tough luck. Our 6th rounder Robinson looked good yesterday and made the team, will sit and learn behind vets (like Goldson did).

And like I said before, our roster doesn't have room for projects like Slowey or Cam Johnson (who was injured most of preseason). I remember Johnson had a 2nd round great by a few analysts, which doesn't mean much, but it shows that he was more of a low risk high reward pick.

Its dumb to say this draft class is a bust

I was actually kidding, should of made that clearer. I think we are stacked, that's why these guys like Person, Holcomb, Slowey, Johnson didn't make the team, too much depth and not enough spots on roster.
Share 49ersWebzone