LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 163 users in the forums

Editorialist Florio on Manning and the 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Whilst I agree with most of what you say, ease up on flaming at fellow posters. Susweel is entitled to his opinion.

i love the zone and am glad to be a part of it but when i first joined in 2005ish it was a fun family but now,, sometimes, it can be a a lonely place when the wolves get unleashed on a poster just venting, my problem, not yours
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
There is no question the 49ers evaluated Manning to see whether or not to offer him a contract. They decided NOT to offer him a contract. To say that Manning chose the Broncos instead of the 49ers is naive. The 49ers never offered Manning a contract so he could not reject them, as both Florio and susweet imply. It is far easier to believe that the coaches were indeed evaluating Manning and after considering everything - his talent, his health, his age, etc. - they decided not to offer him a contract.

Media were responsible for the statements that Manning could go wherever he wanted to go. Media made Manning out to be a football god of sorts, which he isn't. He is one player - admittedly a very talented player, but only one player - in a team sport.

I see no reason to disbelieve either Harbaugh or Roman on this matter. There is no shame in going after a player and not getting him, so why would they lie? It is much more believable that Mike Florio and susweet are only venting their personal hate for the 49ers.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I stick to Occam's Razor: the simplest solution is probably the right one. JH and GR were telling the truth.

This sounds reasonable...particularly given Baalke's penchant for offering make good contracts to old veterans. Moss is every bit the elite WR as Manning is the elite QB at this stage of their careers, so why would someone think TB would mortgage the future to offer an injured, old QB a huge contract? They want to criticize Smith. I would hope they would just make a courageous prediction that Smith will totally fail and CK will start by game two...come on guys! You can do it!
The 49ers wanted to sign Manning but only if he agreed to compete against Alex Smith, who they planned to resign regardless. Manning declined and any contract talks were dropped. End of story.

It's all there in the press releases and interviews if you read between the lines. A little research goes a long way, Florio should try it sometime.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
There is no question the 49ers evaluated Manning to see whether or not to offer him a contract. They decided NOT to offer him a contract. To say that Manning chose the Broncos instead of the 49ers is naive. The 49ers never offered Manning a contract so he could not reject them, as both Florio and susweet imply. It is far easier to believe that the coaches were indeed evaluating Manning and after considering everything - his talent, his health, his age, etc. - they decided not to offer him a contract.

Media were responsible for the statements that Manning could go wherever he wanted to go. Media made Manning out to be a football god of sorts, which he isn't. He is one player - admittedly a very talented player, but only one player - in a team sport.

I see no reason to disbelieve either Harbaugh or Roman on this matter. There is no shame in going after a player and not getting him, so why would they lie? It is much more believable that Mike Florio and susweet are only venting their personal hate for the 49ers.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I stick to Occam's Razor: the simplest solution is probably the right one. JH and GR were telling the truth.

Yes JH would never lie to the media, LOL
The more I research the more I think we did have the framework of a contract worked out with manning. I think all three finalists must have. I think the contract we discussed must have been much lower then Denver's which can partially explain him choosing the broncos.
Originally posted by natrone06:
The more I research the more I think we did have the framework of a contract worked out with manning. I think all three finalists must have. I think the contract we discussed must have been much lower then Denver's which can partially explain him choosing the broncos.

Would love to see some of this "research" if you have time to post specifics. Always willing to learn.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by English:
Whilst I agree with most of what you say, ease up on flaming at fellow posters. Susweel is entitled to his opinion.

i love the zone and am glad to be a part of it but when i first joined in 2005ish it was a fun family but now,, sometimes, it can be a a lonely place when the wolves get unleashed on a poster just venting, my problem, not yours

No, actually, that would be my problem. I view that as the sort of thing I am here to stop.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
I don't follow Tennessee but people don't keep talking about why Manning didn't sign with them do they? Why are people so interested in speculating about why he didn't sign here or what it means about our coaches and front office?
Originally posted by Jcool:
I don't follow Tennessee but people don't keep talking about why Manning didn't sign with them do they? Why are people so interested in speculating about why he didn't sign here or what it means about our coaches and front office?

They iz doing all they can to make it seem like our F/O didn't really want Alex Smiff and that somehow makes their wrongness about Alex a little more palatable.

As if going after a HOF quarterback in the first place means wittle Alex is teh suxxorz.

How do you explain Harbaugh saying that Manning called and didn't pick the 49ers?

I remember he was interviewed that morning and sounded super sour.

I agree with your assessment that Manning is only one player and isn't a God, I assume we offered him the least attractive contract of all the teams, hoping the chance at winning some super bowls would get him to sign. Obviously it didn't work, but I still cant shake what Harbaugh said that morning. He made it sound like we were in it to the end.

And as for Occam's razor...why is JH and GR telling the truth the simplest solution? So peyton's lying then?

Originally posted by Jcool:

Because Alex Smith was involved. Some people want Smith out of the starting job real REAL BAD. Smith's fault. There were 3 different times in past years that Smith was real close to be gone, yet time and again he's still here as the starter. Unfreak'nbelievable!
Originally posted by oldman9er:
They iz doing all they can to make it seem like our F/O didn't really want Alex Smiff and that somehow makes their wrongness about Alex a little more palatable.

As if going after a HOF quarterback in the first place means wittle Alex is teh suxxorz.

This is absolutely false. You're a great fan and Im happy to have you supporting the 9ers but sometimes the logic center of your brain goes haywire. You want to defend Alex and stop people from attacking him?

Then STOP doing exactly what you're doing. Logically, there is no connection between someone thinking we offered a contract to manning and thinking at the same that Alex is a good QB. It seems like we did offer Manning something, albeit probably much less lucrative. If you're gonna label everyone who thinks we offered manning a hater then you're gonna create more haters.

I consider myself an Alex hater (LMAO imagine that, even though I think he is a top 10-15 QB) because I cant stand posts like yours above. It makes absolutely NO SENSE. It does not logically follow. And it makes more people hate our QB, except your buddies who do a big circle jerk with you in every thread. "great point oldman! no fallacy there!"
Originally posted by kush:
Originally posted by oldman9er:

This is absolutely false. You're a great fan and Im happy to have you supporting the 9ers but sometimes the logic center of your brain goes haywire. You want to defend Alex and stop people from attacking him?

Then STOP doing exactly what you're doing. Logically, there is no connection between someone thinking we offered a contract to manning and thinking at the same that Alex is a good QB. It seems like we did offer Manning something, albeit probably much less lucrative. If you're gonna label everyone who thinks we offered manning a hater then you're gonna create more haters.

I consider myself an Alex hater (LMAO imagine that, even though I think he is a top 10-15 QB) because I cant stand posts like yours above. It makes absolutely NO SENSE. It does not logically follow. And it makes more people hate our QB, except your buddies who do a big circle jerk with you in every thread. "great point oldman! no fallacy there!"

What you are saying is intelligent... really is.. but my post wasn't meant to lump every single person that thinks we pursued PM as a slight of Alex.

I didn't think I would need to put such a disclaimer into my post. It was meant as an "if the shoe fits" kinda thing. My apologies that I seemed to have offended you.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
the amount of total homerism in here is amazing...the saints fans are even laughing at some of you

Well, something has to give them happiness. We destroyed them on and off the field last year.....

Why do you care what the saints fans think, anyway?

I dont care, it was a joke. They are a highly delusional fan base that thinks everyone is out to get them.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Niners wanted Manning but he said NO so we moved on and brought back Alex.

end of story

this
Share 49ersWebzone