There are 312 users in the forums

Top 10 Niners

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
NFL network has been airing Top 10 Steelers, Raiders, Cowboys, Packers but no 49ers even though (doe) we got 5 championships.

Here's my list

1 Montana
2 Rice
3 Lott
4 Young
5 BY
6 Willis
7 Gore
8 Haley
9 John Taylor
10 VD

Im sure there were others but I didn't see the old timers play.
I'm waiting on someone to say Deion Sanders, who only played 1 year here.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

Im looking at guys that were drafted by the niners and played most of their careers here. Im not to sure about Haley for that reason.
So many though IMO, I never saw Montana play, but he is of course one of the best, also Roger Craig. But it's tough.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

Im looking at guys that were drafted by the niners and played most of their careers here. Im not to sure about Haley for that reason.

agreed. BY, Steve, Jerry, Joe, Willis, Gore, Vernon, Lott, Taylor, Craig, OL like Sapolu, are all worthy.
I'd drop Haley and VD

Add Craig...and probably some O-lineman that I'm overlooking

My personal top 10 would include Merton Hanks because I loved him as a kid but he's probably not an actual 49er top 10 player
Works VERY well for modern era Niners.
Steve Wallace.the first big time LT.Bill Walsh revolutionized the position with the drafting of Wallace to try and stop Lawrence Taylor and Chris Doleman.Partly because Bubba Paris wasnt gettin done.

Freddie Solomon also before some of the mordern day 9ers mentioned.RIP
[ Edited by VDpwndMjenkins on May 11, 2012 at 2:18 PM ]
Originally posted by susweel:
NFL network has been airing Top 10 Steelers, Raiders, Cowboys, Packers but no 49ers even though (doe) we got 5 championships.

Here's my list
1a) Alex Smith
1b Montana
2 Rice
3 Lott
4 Young
5 BY
6 Willis
7 Gore
8 Haley
9 John Taylor
10 VD

Im sure there were others but I didn't see the old timers play.

Slight modification for me.
here goes mines:

1. Joe Montana
2. Jerry Rice
3. Ronnie Lott
4. Bryant Young
5. John Taylor
6. Jesse Sapolu
7. Tom Rathman
8. Roger Craig
9. Frank Gore
10. Steve Wallace

probably not THE greastest just some that really influenced me. (brent jones,merton hanks,eric davis for honorable mention)

• Dino
  • Veteran
1. Jerry Rice
2. Joe Montana
3. Ronnie Lott
4. Steve Young
5. Bryant Young
6. Terrell Owens
7. Patrick Willis
8. Frank Gore
9. Roger Craig
10. Tom Rathman
All these lists are invalid until Brian Jennings appears on them...
It's a damn shame that the nfln hasn't shown the top ten 49ers even though they've done the packers, steelers, cowboys, and raiders. ESPECIALLY SINCE we have two of the greatest players who ever played the game. Total disrespect as I will boycott the NFLN for a while.

I like the majority of the list in here, but one would have to put Terrell Owens in the top ten. At one point, he was the most dangerous WR in the league.

1 Jerry Rice
2. Joe Montana
3. Ronnie Lott
4. Bryant Young
5. Leo Nomellini (even though I am a young timer, even I know that niner football didn't start in the 80's)
6. Terrell Owens
7. Patrick willis
8. Roger Craig
9.Jesse Sapolu
10.Hugh Mcelhenny

And we have Merton Hanks, John Taylor, Tom Rathman, Frank Gore, Brett Jones and others that we have to consider. Matter of fact, I think we should write an email to NFLN telling them to make a top ten list of 49ers since the organization has a s**t load of great players.
1. Jerry Rice
2. Joe Montana
3. Steve Young
4. Ronnie Lott
5. Frank Gore
6. Patrick Willis
7. Bryant Young
8. Terrell Owens
9. Vernon Davis
10. Jesse Sapolu

Side notes; T.O. would easily be a top five Niner, had he stayed faithful and drama free. If Alex Smith wins a Super Bowl, he will be a top three 49er for sure in my book. Frank Gore is probably the most faithful 49er of all time, he went through some rough times and always played hard.
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
It's a damn shame that the nfln hasn't shown the top ten 49ers even though they've done the packers, steelers, cowboys, and raiders. ESPECIALLY SINCE we have two of the greatest players who ever played the game. Total disrespect as I will boycott the NFLN for a while.

I like the majority of the list in here, but one would have to put Terrell Owens in the top ten. At one point, he was the most dangerous WR in the league.

1 Jerry Rice
2. Joe Montana
3. Ronnie Lott
4. Bryant Young
5. Leo Nomellini (even though I am a young timer, even I know that niner football didn't start in the 80's)
6. Terrell Owens
7. Patrick willis
8. Roger Craig
9.Jesse Sapolu
10.Hugh Mcelhenny

And we have Merton Hanks, John Taylor, Tom Rathman, Frank Gore, Brett Jones and others that we have to consider. Matter of fact, I think we should write an email to NFLN telling them to make a top ten list of 49ers since the organization has a s**t load of great players.

I was thinking about the same thing (and emailing them fools too) about not having a top 10 49ers?

Blasphemy!
Share 49ersWebzone