LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 271 users in the forums

Would you trade Crabtree ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Just to think that this team is so talented but was held back with piss poor coaching....
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
Vernon gets the pass but not Crab? That's a double standard to the upmost, they both had the same circumstances in regards to the playbook, plus Crab was out with an injury that slowed him till the middle of the season. And with Vern held in to block who was drawing coverage away from Crabtree?

Of course we would have loved for Crab to rise up in the playoffs, but when you don't have anyone else out there for defenses to account for it becomes that much more difficult, for all, save the very best to produce. To be disappointed is one thing, but some of these guys? Please. You trade Crab what's left?

Moss - 35 years old, out of football last year, played for three teams the year before.
Manningham - a number 3 receiver last year
Jenkins - rookie
Ginn - special teamer, not a polished receiving threat, gadget guy
Kyle - Goat of the Championship game, in danger of not making the team.

People thinking with their hearts, not their heads.

Not fair to discount Manningham just because he was a #3. He was #3 to Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks so of course he is going to be #3. We don't have any receivers like those guys so he could very well be #1 on our team. Plus just the fact that he made that one epic catch in the superbowl shows you he can be an elite WR.
Originally posted by BayArea:
Not fair to discount Manningham just because he was a #3. He was #3 to Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks so of course he is going to be #3. We don't have any receivers like those guys so he could very well be #1 on our team. Plus just the fact that he made that one epic catch in the superbowl shows you he can be an elite WR.

lets not get ahead of ourselves manningham i dont think he can be an elite WR but definitally a good dependeble one

manningham doesnt have elite speed or size and has inconsistant hands i highly doubt he could be considered elite in any time of his career
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
lets not get ahead of ourselves manningham i dont think he can be an elite WR but definitally a good dependeble one

manningham doesnt have elite speed or size and has inconsistant hands i highly doubt he could be considered elite in any time of his career

If he can make those kind of catches consistently he has a shot at it. Or at least being a great one. I think the reason people like to overlook him is because he didn't get many opportunities since the Giants have so many other weapons to use. I honestly believe he hasn't gotten anywhere near his potential yet.

Honestly though, how many other WR in the NFL would have made that catch?
Crabtree will have a breakout year once we get a good supporting offensive palyers. He cant have great numbers if the o-line and qb are non-funtional. also, coaching hasn't helped him with their conservative play-calling. Once, all those things are fixed, then we will see Crabs have superstar numbers.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by 49realdeal:
He has good hands , thats pretty much it , he lacks in speed and strength , thought
He would ne a better WR , I guess this is the year thats gonna make him or brake him

also lacks work ethic

He's been to everything so far this year.

I think his percieved lack of work ethic is really his injuries.

He's been to all one workouts this off season.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by 49realdeal:
He has good hands , thats pretty much it , he lacks in speed and strength , thought
He would ne a better WR , I guess this is the year thats gonna make him or brake him

also lacks work ethic

He's been to everything so far this year.

I think his percieved lack of work ethic is really his injuries.

He's been to all one workouts this off season.

Rice says he's overweight.
  • flow
  • Veteran
Yes.
I would because it will free up cap money to sign Bowman and Walker. Crabtree is an average receiver not playing up to his rookie contract. Especially since under the new collective bargaining agreement makes rookie contracts so much more affordable. He's just going to leave when he's a FA anyways. We can probably swindle the Raiders outta a 4th round pick! LMAO!
He's got good hands, but hasn't seemed motivated, even when not hurt. He could dominate, if he put in the work. I'll withhold judgment until the end of preseason.

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
vernon gets a pass because he stepped it up in the playoffs both vernon and crabs were doubled but Vernon was the only one of the two that got open and youre right no one was drawing attentiona way from crabtree which is the main reason the passing attack (and crabs) suffered we had no real threats last year at WR opposite crabs tot ake away attention from him

which goes back to my point crabtree is a good WR but he isn not a #1 because he is not able to break away from extra attention

i am not in favor of trading crabs with some real weapons this year i think he will have 1100 + yards this year all i am saying is our search for a true #1 WR is still not over

I can agree with everything you said. Although I already know you to be a perfectly reasonable poster, my beef is with biased people with an axe to grind.

I will say though that Crab did step up as various points during the season, most notably in Seattle when he "saved Christmas", but also with his hardnosed play as a blocker. As far as being a #1, he certainly doesn't have the physical abilities to transcend a bad situation (like Vernon, Fitz, or Megatron), but I still believe he can be the lead receiver in a good balanced attack and I think he showed some of that in the few games that we did have a healthy receiving core.

So, that probably adds up to a good number 1, but a really good number 2, which is fine for us because Vernon is our real number one option anyways.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Yes.
for 6 milkduds.
Originally posted by BayArea:

Yeah it's true he was a #3 a really good pair of receivers, but a #3 he still was. My point was it'd be a fair bit beyond optimistic to think he could come in and be a number 1 receiver if we were to trade Crabtree. I don't think the catch in the Super Bowl showed that he could be an elite receiver, but I would say I think it shows that he can be a clutch receiver, which could be particularly helpful on third downs which was of course a big sore spot last year.

My ultimate hope is that Manningham will be able to fill Morgan's spot and considering how much we missed Josh after he went down that'd be a huge deal.
So far he showed that he can run his mouth as a champ, but dissapears wehn you need him the most ( 3 drops against the saints, 1 catch 3 yards against the Giants).
So far a HUGE dissapointment, All the signings ppoint tojust one thing to light a fire under his bottom. If he does not produce now he´ll be gone.

Trade value? So far I don´t think that we would get more that a 4th rounder for him,
Share 49ersWebzone