There are 185 users in the forums

Would you trade Crabtree ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Why trade Crabtree for a late round pick? The 9ers have 13 picks next year already and he has not been a cancerous influence on the team. He may develop into a very good WR if there are other good WRs balancing out the attack and he and Smith work at gaining chemistry. Not sure what his trade value is but probably no higher than a fifth.

If all the new WRs work out and Crabtree shows well early in the year--that's the time to trade him if he doesn't fit into their plans...build up his value and try to get a third. Of course, if he is doing well and they are winning how likely that they trade him? Owusu and Jenkins may be excellent receivers so that would be one reason to trade him...if they demonstrated during camp that they will be starters soon. Read an article about Owusu having a knack for getting open at tough times and Jenkins has that reputation as well.

Crabtree, Manningham, Moss, Williams, Ginn---add Jenkins and Owusu and that does not seem realistic, too many WRs. Owusu knows the offense already so he may make himself indispensible. It would be fun to watch the WR TC drills with Owusu and Williams knowing them better than any of the others, except Crabtree (?). Can't see any of those guys except possibly Owusu on PS.

Aargh! The lull after the draft (and idle speculation) is painful.
Why would we trade Crabtree? Salary Cap? No. WR depth? No. All pro potential? Yes. To get a draft pick? We have 13. What is the point of this thread? Some of you have no faith in players on our team. What would we have done if Crabs went down last year? We'd of had no WRs. This kid had to play under Sing and learn a new system in weeks last year. Give him some solidarity and he can put up good #s that we need on our team. Plus, he stock blocks great for a WR.
His numbers have improved every year he has been in the league, he is still under contract for 3 more years. He aint going anywhere
Originally posted by Magzarillious:
Why would we trade Crabtree? Salary Cap? No. WR depth? No. All pro potential? Yes. To get a draft pick? We have 13. What is the point of this thread? Some of you have no faith in players on our team. What would we have done if Crabs went down last year? We'd of had no WRs. This kid had to play under Sing and learn a new system in weeks last year. Give him some solidarity and he can put up good #s that we need on our team. Plus, he stock blocks great for a WR.

agreed.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Why trade Crabtree for a late round pick? The 9ers have 13 picks next year already and he has not been a cancerous influence on the team. He may develop into a very good WR if there are other good WRs balancing out the attack and he and Smith work at gaining chemistry. Not sure what his trade value is but probably no higher than a fifth.

If all the new WRs work out and Crabtree shows well early in the year--that's the time to trade him if he doesn't fit into their plans...build up his value and try to get a third. Of course, if he is doing well and they are winning how likely that they trade him? Owusu and Jenkins may be excellent receivers so that would be one reason to trade him...if they demonstrated during camp that they will be starters soon. Read an article about Owusu having a knack for getting open at tough times and Jenkins has that reputation as well.

Crabtree, Manningham, Moss, Williams, Ginn---add Jenkins and Owusu and that does not seem realistic, too many WRs. Owusu knows the offense already so he may make himself indispensible. It would be fun to watch the WR TC drills with Owusu and Williams knowing them better than any of the others, except Crabtree (?). Can't see any of those guys except possibly Owusu on PS.

Aargh! The lull after the draft (and idle speculation) is painful.

Thought it was 10 picks.
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Thought it was 10 picks.

It's really 11 picks. Compensation picks aren't a given for Morgan/Snyder.
[ Edited by SFrush on May 7, 2012 at 8:11 AM ]
no way!
No. What's the point? Nobody wants him unless they can get him for below market value. He still has "some" potential left in him, so we are better off riding out his contract for one more year and seeing what he can bring. My suspicion tells me that he will play better this year because he is no longer a lock to be in the starting line-up, practise or not. Competition has a funny way of reducing laziness.
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
Yeah it's true he was a #3 a really good pair of receivers, but a #3 he still was. My point was it'd be a fair bit beyond optimistic to think he could come in and be a number 1 receiver if we were to trade Crabtree. I don't think the catch in the Super Bowl showed that he could be an elite receiver, but I would say I think it shows that he can be a clutch receiver, which could be particularly helpful on third downs which was of course a big sore spot last year.

My ultimate hope is that Manningham will be able to fill Morgan's spot and considering how much we missed Josh after he went down that'd be a huge deal.

My bet is Manningham turns out to be far more productive than Crabtree. True that Crabtree has been getting better every year which is good especially if he continues getting better.

BTW Is it outside the realm of possibility to say Moss might end up as our #1? People seem to be discounting him already for some reason?
No Way, Jose! He is the best receiver we have. And the only one under contract beyond the next 2seasons.

If the price is right anyone is on the trading block. I keep hearing he is our best receiver and that is true but look what else we had, so its not really saying much. I mean someone has to be the best out of that hodgepodge of receivers. Crabs is going to be pushed this year, Moss, Manningham, and Jenkins are going to push him hard. Williams and Owusu are going to have the fight of their lifes. Looks like Jerry Rice is going to take Jenkins under his wing and they are going to do some hill running. Something Crabs never did and probably never will. Crabs is way over rated by some and undervalued by others. Personaly I dont like his attitude and no I am not saying he is a diva cause he isnt.
Originally posted by BayArea:
My bet is Manningham turns out to be far more productive than Crabtree. True that Crabtree has been getting better every year which is good especially if he continues getting better.

BTW Is it outside the realm of possibility to say Moss might end up as our #1? People seem to be discounting him already for some reason?

Well I definitely think Manningham has a real shot at becoming Alex's go-to-receiver, Morgan certainly was growing into that role before going down, so I think it's up for grabs as to who will seize that role. Again for me, if Mario can help us on third down's he'll be worth his weight in gold.

By virtue of being Randy Moss he could be the most talented receiver on this team just from a physical standpoint. But I can't see a 35 year old guy getting more snaps than Crab or Manningham over the course of the season, those guys are either in their prime or approaching it and should be better equipped to handle the down-to-down blocking responsibilities that come along with being the number one receiver in our offense.
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
Well I definitely think Manningham has a real shot at becoming Alex's go-to-receiver, Morgan certainly was growing into that role before going down, so I think it's up for grabs as to who will seize that role. Again for me, if Mario can help us on third down's he'll be worth his weight in gold.

By virtue of being Randy Moss he could be the most talented receiver on this team just from a physical standpoint. But I can't see a 35 year old guy getting more snaps than Crab or Manningham over the course of the season, those guys are either in their prime or approaching it and should be better equipped to handle the down-to-down blocking responsibilities that come along with being the number one receiver in our offense.

Well that might be true of course none of us know yet but Moss is kind of a freak when it comes to his physical attributes. Also he never was very beat up so there isn't a lot of wear and tear on his body meaning he might be able to get a few more seasons than your average WR. Time will tell...
The guy has averaged 750 yards and 4 TDs a season despite missing 5 games his rookie year, despite not playing in a consistent offense, and despite not having another WR draw comparable coverage. Is he in the same league as Calvin Johnson? No and he never will be. But he is a very good possession receiver, he gets separation, and has good hands. Why would you want to trade a 24 year old kid that has shown he can produce respectable numbers in a far below respectable passing game?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by midrdan:
The guy has averaged 750 yards and 4 TDs a season despite missing 5 games his rookie year, despite not playing in a consistent offense, and despite not having another WR draw comparable coverage. Is he in the same league as Calvin Johnson? No and he never will be. But he is a very good possession receiver, he gets separation, and has good hands. Why would you want to trade a 24 year old kid that has shown he can produce respectable numbers in a far below respectable passing game?

3 of his TDs were against the Lambs which had probably the worst secondary in the NFL.
Share 49ersWebzone