LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 270 users in the forums

2011 offensive line and some sack numbers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
someone pointed out this to me and i thought it was worth sharing
http://footballoutsiders.com/under-pressure/2012/under-pressure-violence-rams

obviously by the tittle you can tell rams had the worst o line but since this is a niner forum lets look at the niners numbers

the precentage i will (and the site) is posting is the % of dropbacks that result in sacks during that time frame
note: When i tried to pick nfl worst and best in specific category i tried to pick the guy who had the most snaps (like around 10 games or so) not the minumum 70 pass attempts the site put

nfl best means that that qb has suffered the least amount of sacks under the given time frame

nfl worst means that qb suffered the most sacks under that time frame

nfl average is the average of all qbs under given time frame

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2.5 seconds or less before sack

nfl best : joe flacco: 0 .4%

nfl worst : alex smith : 3.3%

nfl average: 1.8%

49ers: alex smith 3.3%

note: Caleb Hanie, TJ Yates, AJ Feeley, Kellen Clemens, Chad Hennie, and John Skeleton have higher sack rate under this time however none have more than 5 starts
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rate of sacks: 2.5 seconds to 2.9 seconds:

nfl best: matthew stafford 1.0 %

nfl worst: alex smith: 3.7%

nfl average: 2.2%

49ers: alex smith: 3.7%

note: Again 6 Qbs finished worse ( Caleb Hanie, John Beck, Kevin Kolb, AJ Feeley, Kellen Clemens, Sam Bradford) however none have over 5 starts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sack rate for 3 + seconds:

nfl best: matt Ryan: 1,2%

nfl worst: Tim Tebow: 6.6%

nfl average: 2.7 %

49ers: Alex Smith: 2.6 %

alex does need to get the ball out quicker but the preconception that he holds on to the ball for too long is apparently false some of the top gunslinger qbs like brees and eli rarely got sacked above 3 seconds but it should be noted other qbs like rodgers and schaub had a .1% sack rate above 3 seconds as well

what we should take from this is that most of the sacks allowed came from under 3 seconds i am guessing that a lot of this came from the 2 games chilo started against the cowboys and the ravens game but this is something that has to be fixed heading into the 2012 season
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on May 4, 2012 at 11:57 AM ]
There is too much information here. It's easier to just say "Alex is the suxors!".
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
There is too much information here. It's easier to just say "Alex is the suxors!".

to the contrary my good man, he's suggesting that Alex got hit early in the dropback rather too often.
Originally posted by CasBanaszek:

to the contrary my good man, he's suggesting that Alex got hit early in the dropback rather too often.

I was being sarcastic. I know what he meant, there is proof as to why Alex has performed the way he has and that it's all not on him. Information like this is not a good thing for the detractors and it's easier for them to call out Alex.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Its because Alex holds the balls too long and is afraid to take chances. Half of the sacks are Alex's fault go back and watch the film and you will be enlightened.
Originally posted by susweel:
Its because Alex holds the balls too long and is afraid to take chances. Half of the sacks are Alex's fault go back and watch the film and you will be enlightened.

It doesn't get easier than this. See what I mean Cas?

Sus didn't read the OP, lol?
Having better receivers will help. There were several times last year during games where Smith actually had time to throw the ball. There weren't anyone open. Coverage sacks or bugged out.

Better receivers-- 1/3 of the solution.
Originally posted by Lobo49er:

It is branded into the brain... which is stronger than any factual evidence on earth. Don't blame him... blame society's redundant myths that corrupt brains.

Good stuff, OP.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

It doesn't get easier than this. See what I mean Cas?

Originally posted by Lobo49er:

This are just fabricated numbers made up by Alex nut huggers.

I wonder how much of this is due to Alex's inability to recognize blitzes, audible, and change protection? Or maybe coaches weren't able to implement sufficient audibles into the offense because of the shorten season, due to the lockout?
[ Edited by Bay2Bay9erAllday on May 4, 2012 at 2:24 PM ]

Getting tired of this sh¥t. Those nut huggers are fellow 49ers fans. This continual winding up has to stop, it is unnecessary inflammatory and downright boring.
That's the spirit! When Jason Babin comes around the corner with speed for 3 sacks and Davis barely gets a finger on him?

Blame QB.
Originally posted by English:

Getting tired of this sh¥t. Those nut huggers are fellow 49ers fans. This continual winding up has to stop, it is unnecessary inflammatory and downright boring.

I think he's just joking (or trying to pick a fight)... I've got to admit that its kind of funny. The facts are clear, but stubborn sus still hates Alex. Way to stick to your guns!

He will still hate Alex even after he leads us to our 6th super-bowl victory in 2012. I think most of us on the zone have just gotten used to it.
Originally posted by blm7754:
I think he's just joking (or trying to pick a fight)... I've got to admit that its kind of funny. The facts are clear, but stubborn sus still hates Alex. Way to stick to your guns!

He will still hate Alex even after he leads us to our 6th super-bowl victory in 2012. I think most of us on the zone have just gotten used to it.

You miss the point. He has been moaning about Smith for ages, but this continual whinging at fellow posters has gone on long enough.
Share 49ersWebzone