There are 213 users in the forums

Grade the 49ers 2012 Draft Class

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Grade the 49ers 2012 Draft Class

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Scoots:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
You would have to factor in Jon Baldwin + 2014 7th rounder at this point. And those results are unknown. But it doesn't look good.

Why? Why not just look at the players drafted by the 49ers in 2012 when evaluating the 49ers 2012 draft?

Because we go those values out of that draft.

Okay, please list for me here ALL of the picks traded from other drafts to acquire picks in the 2012 draft because those draft picks should be credited to those other drafts, not 2012, also let's figure out which of the 2012 draft picks were compensatory because those draft picks were acquired on the backs of the players we lost so any credit from those draft picks should go to those previous drafts, also any players traded to get picks in 2012, the credit for those picks should go to that players draft not to the 2012 draft, also any 2012 draft picks traded to acquire players should count as part of the 2012 draft, also any players drafted by the 49ers who are then traded those players AND the players acquired should count as part of the 2012 draft, and any 2012 draft picks traded for future draft picks which may or may not be then traded for other future draft picks or players past, present, or future. Players who play for a number of years for the 49ers after being drafted and then traded for another player or pick who becomes a player who then has a productive career for the 49ers can you count both players careers against the original draft or do you have to choose, or do you have to go with the 2nd player acquired through trading the first player for the 2nd player or the draft pick? When multiple picks are traded for a single player do you split the grade? If a player is traded for multiple picks in multiple years you have to count each of those picks as part of the original players draft. You get all that together for me and we'll evaluate the 2012 draft your way.

OR, isn't it so much simpler to evaluate the players taken by this team in this draft when grading how this team did in this draft? We're not evaluating the front office, the entire offseason of moves, nor the history and future of the franchise as a whole ... we're just talking about how the 49ers did in the 2012 draft.

In one word the 49ers 2012 draft was ... bad.
[ Edited by Scoots on Sep 3, 2013 at 5:01 PM ]
I guess I killed the thread
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
This class is terrible without factoring players this year from trades. TB also gets a future draft pick. Wasn't crazy about the Cam Kohnson trade. Why trade for a 7th when that's what we paid. Guy had good upside.
I am sure they didn't insist on a 7th rounder. You get what you can, and it is better than getting nothing if you planned on letting him go anyway.
Originally I thought B+ because I thought Jenkins was going to be a game breaker lol. He ended up just being a draft breaker.

So since James (and Skuta?) are the only names jumping out at me it feels like a D. If either of them become more of an issue on the field this year then maybe a C.
James and Looney are the only ones left
only lmj & looney are left

F-
AJ Jenkins was not a good pick. Not explosive enough to make up for his lack of size and strength.
LMJ was/is a good talent, but he has never seen the field in a crowded backfield. That is the original reason the pick was confusing, and it remains that way.
Looney is still on the team, but probably not much longer. He hasn't beat out Snyder, but don't forget Snyder was a 3rd round pick and has been in the league a long time.
Fleming was injured, just bad luck there.
Trenton Robinson was not good enough on special teams to be a backup safety. But this is a 6th round pick we're talking about. He made the team, which is always an accomplishment for a late pick.
Jason Slowey just wasn't good enough.
Cam Johnson was a good pick, another team picked him up.

AJ Jenkins and Fleming's injury make the draft appear a lot worse. Not a great draft though. The other knock was the NEED for a running back in the 2nd round who we never use, DESPITE his talent. This is the only issue I have with the Hyde pick. Although he is a big, feature type of back, not a scat back, so that should greatly improve his chances of seeing the field and not getting buried on the depth chart like James has been.
[ Edited by BrianGO on May 12, 2014 at 5:10 PM ]
If you were ANY other team/FO and I came to you and said, "1 of your 4 drafts is going to be a complete throw-away when it's all said and done." And then if I said, "What kind of position do you think your franchise will be in over those 4 years?" You'd, like any reasonable FO/fan would say, "We'd be in bad shape, no doubt."

Yet here were are. Our only 3 losses the last 3 years have been to the eventual Superbowl winner and we've been highly regarded as the deepest roster in the NFL year-in, year-out. Baalke just proved again that this 2012 draft was an anomally, not the norm.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 12, 2014 at 5:47 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
If you were ANY other team/FO and I came to you and said, "1 of your 4 drafts is going to be a complete throw-away when it's all said and done." And then if I said, "What kind of position do you think your franchise will be in over those 4 years?" You'd, like any reasonable FO/fan would say, "We'd be in bad shape, no doubt."

Yet here were are, are only 3 losses the last year years have been to the eventual Superbowl winner and we've been highly regarded as the deepest roster in the NFL year-in, year-out. Baalke just proved again that this 2012 draft was an anomally, not the norm.

This all very true. I feel like the 2012 draft allowed Seattle to catch up to us in many respects. However, I firmly believe that the '13 and '14 drafts are gonna be the drafts to shift the scales back to the good side. I still wish baalke would have went fleener in the first in '12. As far as a grade I would have to go "unsatisfactory", but baalke has been nearly great in all the other drafts.
[ Edited by Niners816 on May 12, 2014 at 5:53 PM ]
Originally posted by Niners816:

Yet here were are, are only 3 losses the last year years have been to the eventual Superbowl winner and we've been highly regarded as the deepest roster in the NFL year-in, year-out. Baalke just proved again that this 2012 draft was an anomally, not the norm.

This all very true. I feel like the 2012 draft allowed Seattle to catch up to us in many respects. However, I firmly believe that the '13 and '14 drafts are gonna be the drafts to shift the scales back to the good side. I still wish baalke would have went fleener in the first in '12. As far as a grade I would have to go "unsatisfactory", but baalke has been nearly great in all the other drafts.

I wanted Fleener as well FTR.

Yet here were are. Our only 3 losses the last 3 years have been to the eventual Superbowl winner and we've been highly regarded as the deepest roster in the NFL year-in, year-out. Baalke just proved again that this 2012 draft was an anomally, not the norm.

Maybe.

We can't really give a full grade on last years class. And obviously we can't grade this years yet. While both look good on paper, we still have lots of questions about the all ACL crew.

I would like to know what the hell they were thinking in 2012!
Originally posted by jreff22:

Maybe.

We can't really give a full grade on last years class. And obviously we can't grade this years yet. While both look good on paper, we still have lots of questions about the all ACL crew.

I would like to know what the hell they were thinking in 2012!

Truth. I have my theories about 2012 but they are just that, theories.
^^^^

Well?
I love how Baalke was Baalsy enough to draft the OL. I'm a believer that at least one, if not two oline should be drafted every year. It's the key to success.

That said, for a team drafting in the 30 positions, we did a-aight

A+
2012 49ers NFL Draft
1st A.J. JenkinsWRIllinois261
2nd LaMichael JamesRBOregon
4th Joe LooneyC/GWake Forest
5th Darius FlemingOLBNotre Dame
6th -180 Trent RobinsonSSMichigan State
6th -199 Jason SloweyTWestern Oregon
7th Cam JohnsonDEVirginia

Any draft wherein your 1st round pick is a bust is going to set you back.

2nd rounder LaMichael James has talent, but is stuck behind Gore and Hunter. He still contributes as a returner, but Roman aint' doing him any favors either.

3rd rounder was traded and bolstered the 2013 draft

4th rounder Joe Looney, look good last year and may be a reason 49ers feel comfortable letting Iupati walk- great value for a 4th rounder if he starts next year.

7th rounder Cam Johnson traded for 2014 7th rounder.

5th rounder- can't predict injuries. Fleming tore his ACL twice.

6th rounders, they missed the targets, but it's going to happen, year prior they hit on 7th rounder Bruce Miller.

UDFA- They hit on TE Garrett Celek, DE Tony Jerod-Edie and had Michael Thomas stolen off the practice squad.

Considering they traded a 3rd and 7th for future picks, and have 2 players who either play James as a returner or have a future with the team Joe Looney, and picked up 2 contributing UDFA's, 2012 was not the greatest, what made it bad was the miss on the 1st rounder AJ Jenkins.
Share 49ersWebzone