LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 285 users in the forums

Replacing Delanie Walker... Yes or No?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Replacing Delanie Walker... Yes or No?

Originally posted by susweel:
D Walker is a pretty good player the biggest problem with him and most of our receivers is they have a subpar QB throwing them the ball. Put him on the Pats and he probably makes the pro bowl.

I say keep him until his contract expires but in the mean time look for an upgrade in later rounds.

LMAO
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by adamcarrillo1:
Vernon Davis,Delanie Walker and Coby Fleener..Just Release Nate Byham Were all Set

Can't afford all three long term.

im just saying wouldnt be a bad TE group
He's incredibly inconsistent, which means, bottom line, he's a liability
[ Edited by adrenaline on Apr 14, 2012 at 7:42 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Vernon Davis,Delanie Walker and Coby Fleener..Just Release Nate Byham Were all Set

why cant we afford all three long term? Vernon is locked up until 2016 at rate of 6M, 5M, 4.5M each year, he'll be 32 and likely only have 1 more long term deal. Delanie Walker is probably worth somewhere between 4-6M per year and last years 30th overall pick signed a 4 year deal worth $6.5M with a $3M signing bonus

That adds up to a whopping $12M per year for 3 players, al starting caliber players. Next year the salary cap is expected to go from $120M to $130M and likely gain at least $10M per year for next 5 years under the new CBA. We sure as hell can afford to pay all 3 of them.
[ Edited by sfout on Apr 14, 2012 at 7:51 PM ]
Originally posted by sfout:
if people are advocating for us to cut or trade him because we draft Fleener then they are just plain crazy, Walker will be on this team in 2012, its 2013 that is up in the air. Here is my take....

Reasons why Walker should be replaced as TE:
Size
Not the best hands
Inability to over power most safeties in a smilar manner a larger TE can

Reasons why we would draft Fleener a year before Walker's deal expires
We did the same thing with Aldon, one year before Brooks' deal was done, it just worked out that were phasing out Haralson instead of replacing Brooks
Walker is not a real TE, he is an H-back if not actually a FB or WR. He is a tweener in every sense of the word, 6 feet even, 250 pounds(a lot of the newer look RB/FBs are this size), he isn't fast enough to be a WR but he was fast enough to be converted to a TE instead of a FB/RB(pretty much the definition of a H-Back)

Will we make an effort to re-sign Walker if we draft Fleener? Of course we will, having 3 starting caliber TEs is better then having 2. Just like having 3 starting caliber OLBs is better then having 2 had we let Brooks walk.

Will Walker test the market next year regardless of the possibility of us drafting Fleener? Of course he will, he has shown flashes that he can be the #1 TE for any team in the NFL, at the very least he could go be the #2 of not #1b to a team like Chicago whose primary TE Kellen Davis is a bit on the slow side and not able to take advantage of playing slower OLBs and Safeties.

What all this boils down to? If Fleener is there at 30 you can bet your a** we will draft him, will we trade up for him? I'd say no, but if he is there he is the best possible pick for us due to his knowledge of the system, his physical size and leaping ability and great hands instantly upgrade our passing attack in all areas of the field and gameplay. It also provides us with insurance against DWalk leaving in FA just as Aldon did with Brooks potentially leaving.

I reiterate, his versatility as a TE, WR, RB, FB, OL, KR makes him nearly irreplaceable so the FO will likely value him fairly high and he'll likely be retained, but to stubbornly insist we shouldn't draft Fleener simply because DWalk is on the roster is just plain dumb, that is comparable to saying we have a serviceable if not pro bowl caliber Center so we shouldn't draft a backup or plan B even though he is old and on short term deal.

As JH says you never stay the same, you are either getting worse or getting better. If we dont add Fleener we'd effectively get worse, if we add him we get better, if we retain DWalk after the year then we will be better then we were going into the 2013 off season. Make sense?

GREAT POST! I agree on all fronts, to sum up my thoughts. We def have VD for the long haul as long as we have either Walker or Fleener I'm good w/the TE position. Now if we didn't draft Fleener and lost Walker then that would suck. Would love to see what Harbaugh could do with all 3 on the team.
Originally posted by Whomeam:
I love the idea of Davis - Walker - Fleener so damn much. That would be the best group of tight ends in the league. You bring all three out onto the field at once and OH LAWD
EXACTLY. 3 TE sets with moss as wideout and Gore in backfield. As the opposing D you have a choice, bring out extra LBs or CBs. if you bring out the LB's we go into a 4 reciever set with mismatches on every TE and prob moss 1 on 1. if you bring out CB's we go into a goaline 'I' formation with Walker or Fleener as the FB and we run it on the much smaller D. not to mention all the play action that can result. JH used the TE sets alot at Stanford clearly fleener knows the scheme and can contribute form day 1.

I want fleener simply because of the matchup problems a 3 TE set can create, not to replace walker this year. Youre assuming too much in this thread.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by sfout:
if people are advocating for us to cut or trade him because we draft Fleener then they are just plain crazy, Walker will be on this team in 2012, its 2013 that is up in the air. Here is my take....

Reasons why Walker should be replaced as TE:
Size
Not the best hands
Inability to over power most safeties in a smilar manner a larger TE can

Reasons why we would draft Fleener a year before Walker's deal expires
We did the same thing with Aldon, one year before Brooks' deal was done, it just worked out that were phasing out Haralson instead of replacing Brooks
Walker is not a real TE, he is an H-back if not actually a FB or WR. He is a tweener in every sense of the word, 6 feet even, 250 pounds(a lot of the newer look RB/FBs are this size), he isn't fast enough to be a WR but he was fast enough to be converted to a TE instead of a FB/RB(pretty much the definition of a H-Back)

Will we make an effort to re-sign Walker if we draft Fleener? Of course we will, having 3 starting caliber TEs is better then having 2. Just like having 3 starting caliber OLBs is better then having 2 had we let Brooks walk.

Will Walker test the market next year regardless of the possibility of us drafting Fleener? Of course he will, he has shown flashes that he can be the #1 TE for any team in the NFL, at the very least he could go be the #2 of not #1b to a team like Chicago whose primary TE Kellen Davis is a bit on the slow side and not able to take advantage of playing slower OLBs and Safeties.

What all this boils down to? If Fleener is there at 30 you can bet your a** we will draft him, will we trade up for him? I'd say no, but if he is there he is the best possible pick for us due to his knowledge of the system, his physical size and leaping ability and great hands instantly upgrade our passing attack in all areas of the field and gameplay. It also provides us with insurance against DWalk leaving in FA just as Aldon did with Brooks potentially leaving.

I reiterate, his versatility as a TE, WR, RB, FB, OL, KR makes him nearly irreplaceable so the FO will likely value him fairly high and he'll likely be retained, but to stubbornly insist we shouldn't draft Fleener simply because DWalk is on the roster is just plain dumb, that is comparable to saying we have a serviceable if not pro bowl caliber Center so we shouldn't draft a backup or plan B even though he is old and on short term deal.

As JH says you never stay the same, you are either getting worse or getting better. If we dont add Fleener we'd effectively get worse, if we add him we get better, if we retain DWalk after the year then we will be better then we were going into the 2013 off season. Make sense?

GREAT POST! I agree on all fronts, to sum up my thoughts. We def have VD for the long haul as long as we have either Walker or Fleener I'm good w/the TE position. Now if we didn't draft Fleener and lost Walker then that would suck. Would love to see what Harbaugh could do with all 3 on the team.

thanks mang, I'm not the biggest supporter of drafting Fleener but if this year plays out like last year we will definitely have a pattern to follow with Baalke wanting to use the 30th overall pick to fill what looks like the most important need in the event the most important member of next years FA class leaves the team.
Vernon Davis,Delanie Walker and Coby Fleener would be unfair to the NFL cause that would be Dangerous
I think the coaches like what Delanie can do and what he has to offer to the offense. Not sure why the hate in the Zone. He did a great job in the offense with a short off season. Quick learner it seems. He gives the offense the ability to blend the running game with the passing game to make defense guessing. He goes in motion, he may be crack blocking anyone of the defender upfront on a running play. And just when you think he's doing enough of that for them to figure it out, he's sprinting downfield cutting through the defense for a zinger pass from Smith. Or he can lineup out wide on goal line and short yardage situation to get that needed 2-3 yards. Had he been healthier in the NFCCG, he would have been another weapon the Giants had to be concern for. Wasn't there another opportunity to Delanie in that game that Smith missed also...

I actually think we will get a bigger dose of Delanie next year in the offense. Stop hate'n before it gets too embarassing.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
One thing to keep in mind:

All three of those TEs can line up at WR.

Hell, Walker was a WR in college.

I'm on the, "Let's wait and see what happens next season if we do draft Fleener before we start this discussion." bandwagon.

You guys like to jump the gun.

EDIT: Sorry, responded to the wrong reply.

Walker became a good blocker because that's what we needed with our sub par OLine play. Same thing happened to Davis under Martz.

When you're blocking D-Lineman and Linebackers all game, the one or two times you get the ball thrown your way, your hands are all torn up which makes catching the ball difficult.

I remember blocking those guys and getting home after the game. My hands and forearms were all swollen and bruised, even wearing gloves doesn't help much when you get popped in the hand by a facemask with a 300lbs dude behind it, i don't care if you're pro or not.
[ Edited by mkmasn on Apr 14, 2012 at 8:14 PM ]
Cut Walker and Davis....We got Fleener, the greatest TE to never play in the NFL....
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Cut Walker and Davis....We got Fleener, the greatest TE to never play in the NFL....

Love it.
If they draft Fleener I can see them trading Walker to a team like the Redskins for a 3rd round pick. Problem is Walker is a much better blocker than Fleener would be at this stage of the game, so maybe not.

Harbaugh loves TEs, so he will probably want to stockpile them, in which case Walker goes nowhere.
[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Apr 14, 2012 at 8:41 PM ]

this
Share 49ersWebzone