LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

Replacing Delanie Walker... Yes or No?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Replacing Delanie Walker... Yes or No?

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I think the coaches like what Delanie can do and what he has to offer to the offense. Not sure why the hate in the Zone. He did a great job in the offense with a short off season. Quick learner it seems. He gives the offense the ability to blend the running game with the passing game to make defense guessing. He goes in motion, he may be crack blocking anyone of the defender upfront on a running play. And just when you think he's doing enough of that for them to figure it out, he's sprinting downfield cutting through the defense for a zinger pass from Smith. Or he can lineup out wide on goal line and short yardage situation to get that needed 2-3 yards. Had he been healthier in the NFCCG, he would have been another weapon the Giants had to be concern for. Wasn't there another opportunity to Delanie in that game that Smith missed also...

I actually think we will get a bigger dose of Delanie next year in the offense. Stop hate'n before it gets too embarassing.

You do realize he went like 8 games without a catch right???? When he's in the game, teams basically accept that he's in there to block period...the dual threat just isn't there.

That's not a reason to label him a 'liability' as labeled by another poster. If he's blocking he's contributing to the plays that was called. I can make the same type of argument about VD not getting the ball in the red zone. But it would not make it true that VD is suckage in the redzone. Maybe you guys like Fleener to be on the team so much that you are leaning towards hate'n on Walker to advocate the reasoning for getting another TE in Fleener.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Maybe you guys like Fleener to be on the team so much that you are leaning towards hate'n on Walker to advocate the reasoning for getting another TE in Fleener.

Ya think?

Replace with Fleener and go to the Super Bowl.....
If we do draft Fleener why dont we give Delanie a try at WR
Delanie Walker is due his big contract, he deserves it a man has to feed his family. Unfortunately the 49 ers are not one to pay him what he could command from which is hush salary.
I think the coaches like what Delanie can do and what he has to offer to the offense. Not sure why the hate in the Zone. He did a great job in the offense with a short off season. Quick learner it seems. He gives the offense the ability to blend the running game with the passing game to make defense guessing. He goes in motion, he may be crack blocking anyone of the defender upfront on a running play. And just when you think he's doing enough of that for them to figure it out, he's sprinting downfield cutting through the defense for a zinger pass from Smith. Or he can lineup out wide on goal line and short yardage situation to get that needed 2-3 yards. Had he been healthier in the NFCCG, he would have been another weapon the Giants had to be concern for. Wasn't there another opportunity to Delanie in that game that Smith missed also...

I actually think we will get a bigger dose of Delanie next year in the offense. Stop hate'n before it gets too embarassing.

You do realize he went like 8 games without a catch right???? When he's in the game, teams basically accept that he's in there to block period...the dual threat just isn't there.

ummm... so he didnt catch a come from behind game winner? crabtree had drops. davis had drops. ginn dropped everything thrown his way. gore had drops. and walker's the inconsistent one who needs to be replaced?

you dont think there's a reason he got a broken jaw? you dont just get a broken jaw... you get headhunted and get a broken jaw.

the fact is, walker was only utilized 43 times. he accounted for 3 TDs and 0 fumbles. in contrast, davis was utilized 112 times and only had 6 TDs with 3 fumbles. crabtree was utilitzed 131 times and had 4 TDs.(http://www.kffl.com/player/14011/nfl/utilization/delanie-walker?uyear=2011)

those don't seem like replaceable stats for someone we can lock up long term to a cheap deal and get his blocking included.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
You're wrong. Wrong wrongity wrongelson noway.

Stats don't lie, go back and look at his stats for the season, he basically shut it down after the Giants game and had earlier games where he didn't show up on the statline.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 14, 2012 at 11:23 PM ]
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Originally posted by Squidp:
Teams game planned to take him out of the game because was a big part of our success early on. If you check the game grades by the writers he still received praise every week. We need extra blocking help to keep Alex alive

So you think that with Vernon Davis, Frank Gore, and Michael Crabtree on offense - it was Delanie Walker that teams gameplanned to shut down?

without a real #1, it's easy to handle our threats... strong safety over VD and free safety over Crabs... that leaves 3 or 4 linebackers to handle Gore and Walker...
Originally posted by Wodwo:
You're wrong. Wrong wrongity wrongelson noway.

Stats don't lie, go back and look at his stats for the season, he basically shut it down after the Giants game and had earlier games where he didn't show up on the statline.

ok, so go check the stats. walker was injured dec 24. his last catch was against the giants, 11/13. that makes 5 games, not 8. he did have a 14 yard rush and another carry for a loss in week 13 and 14, so that brings his streak down to 2 games in a row without a touch. doesn't seem that odd to me...

not to mention, we accrued more sacks after the giants game (7 weeks) than we did before the giants game... wouldn't we want an extra blocker in?
[ Edited by mkmasn on Apr 14, 2012 at 11:39 PM ]
Anyone think Davis, Fleener and Walker could all co-exist? If we can get our WRs to produce we don't necessarily need 2 TE's to put up big numbers but until then we could use a guy like Fleener. Alex likes throwing to TEs, they are a mismatch (hence the reason they are becoming bigger commodities in the nfl), Fleener knows the playbook, we need help in the red zone and on 3rd downs, etc. I have no problem with Walker and he's a jack of all traits but he really doesn't provide much in the receiving department. He isn't someone IMO we can count on on 3rd downs and in the redzone where we have struggled. So again, Walker if he could be that 3rd blocking TE would offer much more versatility and be more of a receiving threat compared to Reuland or Byham. To me that's a pretty dangerous combo with Davis, Fleener and Walker. Just a matter if Walker can be good enough in the blocking department. And even if we don't go Fleener wondering if we could do the same with Allen, Charles or Green.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 14, 2012 at 11:50 PM ]

• buck
  • Veteran
The team should look for an upgrade. I am not saying that he should be cut, but an upgrade in our passing game is needed.

Walker has played in 83 games and started 36 of those in his six years on the team.

He has a total of 102 receptions for 1,121 and a total of 5 touchdowns.

That is an average of 17 catches a year, 186.8 yards a year, and less than 1 touchdown a year.

His best year for catches and yards was 2010--he had 29 receptions for 331 yards.
Originally posted by buck:
The team should look for an upgrade. I am not saying that he should be cut, but an upgrade in our passing game is needed.

Walker has played in 83 games and started 36 of those in his six years on the team.

He has a total of 102 receptions for 1,121 and a total of 5 touchdowns.

That is an average of 17 catches a year, 186.8 yards a year, and less than 1 touchdown a year.

His best year for catches and yards was 2010--he had 29 receptions for 331 yards.

you get listed as a starter when you start the first offensive snap of the game... i'd start vd over him also. i'd start vd over any te in the league.

again, our oline has been atrocious the ENTIRE time walker has been on the team. i'd say there's a reason he didn't put up 6 catches for 96 yds (giants game) every game... he had to stay in to block...
  • mike
  • Veteran
VD, DW, and a rookie who doesn't have a price tag that a 1st brings, someone like EGNEW would be perfect to fill in at a limited role for a year or two under DW/VD until eventually he eclipses Walker as far as being on the field for more snaps.
Originally posted by mike:
VD, DW, and a rookie who doesn't have a price tag that a 1st brings, someone like EGNEW would be perfect to fill in at a limited role for a year or two under DW/VD until eventually he eclipses Walker as far as being on the field for more snaps.

First of all, try punctuation. Periods are awesome.

NEXT... what is an EGNEW?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by mike:

First of all, try punctuation. Periods are awesome.

NEXT... what is an EGNEW?

instead of trying to be cool and snide, google him.....

TE from Mizzou day 2 day 3 pick.
Share 49ersWebzone