There are 141 users in the forums

Will Crabtree ever be this good?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jreff22:
This is the problem....he was the best guy last year on a s**t squad of nobody's. Alex had 0 decent alternatives at WR so Crabs was able to get a lot of balls. This year we are in a much better place and some talent (Moss) is a better player. I do not see Crabs catching the same amount of balls this year becuase Alex has other options that are good.

He doesnt have the speed to go the distance like Moss or the moves like James/Jenkins to out wiggle guys. I still think he gets around 60+ balls this year but I dont see him getting over 800 yards. If this proves accurate what it shows is that when we have a full roster he cant get over 1K and when we have a weak roster and he gets a lot of balls he still cant get over 1K. Again if true he isnt living up to the hype, contract, draft number and he could be replaced.

Do you consider Vernon to be part of the s**t squad? Because Crabtree outperformed him despite playing with a QB notorious for not driving the ball well down the field or outside the numbers.

Moss in his prime is more talented than Crabs I warrant you that but at this stage in each of their careers I have no doubt Crabtree will out produce him. Speed isn't everything and still while crabs isn't a burner his speed is underrated. He has ran wide open deep on a number of notable cbs.

As for the Crabs not possessing the same wiggle as Jenkins, are you serious? Crabs is quick as f**k and explosive off the line, out of breaks.

Crabs will increase his catch number this year and WILL hit 1000 yards.
Originally posted by kush:
This is the problem....he was the best guy last year on a s**t squad of nobody's. Alex had 0 decent alternatives at WR so Crabs was able to get a lot of balls. This year we are in a much better place and some talent (Moss) is a better player. I do not see Crabs catching the same amount of balls this year becuase Alex has other options that are good.

He doesnt have the speed to go the distance like Moss or the moves like James/Jenkins to out wiggle guys. I still think he gets around 60+ balls this year but I dont see him getting over 800 yards. If this proves accurate what it shows is that when we have a full roster he cant get over 1K and when we have a weak roster and he gets a lot of balls he still cant get over 1K. Again if true he isnt living up to the hype, contract, draft number and he could be replaced.

Do you consider Vernon to be part of the s**t squad? Because Crabtree outperformed him despite playing with a QB notorious for not driving the ball well down the field or outside the numbers.

Moss in his prime is more talented than Crabs I warrant you that but at this stage in each of their careers I have no doubt Crabtree will out produce him. Speed isn't everything and still while crabs isn't a burner his speed is underrated. He has ran wide open deep on a number of notable cbs.

As for the Crabs not possessing the same wiggle as Jenkins, are you serious? Crabs is quick as f**k and explosive off the line, out of breaks.

Crabs will increase his catch number this year and WILL hit 1000 yards.
Vernon is a TE not a WR.

Crabtree is not quick as f**k, when was the last time he made 2 guys miss and score a TD? If he was soo explosive he would get separation, he doesn't.

And Vernon was shy of Crabs by less then 100 yards...and he had more TD's.....and showed up in big games.....and you know has to block a lot because he is a TE. Crabtree has never outperformed Vernon Davis.
Vernon is a TE not a WR.

Crabtree is not quick as f**k, when was the last time he made 2 guys miss and score a TD? If he was soo explosive he would get separation, he doesn't.

And Vernon was shy of Crabs by less then 100 yards...and he had more TD's.....and showed up in big games.....and you know has to block a lot because he is a TE. Crabtree has never outperformed Vernon Davis.

Crabtree makes a guy miss damn near everytime he catches a ball. He'll plant his foot and sidestep guys with ease.

Crabtree saved the Seahawks game for us and was our best offensive player down the stretch. It's great Vernon showed up in the playoffs but you gotta produce to get their to begin with.

Crabtree missed quite a bit of playing time and wasn't fully healthy till halfway through the season and STILL managed to out produce Vernon.
Vernon is a TE not a WR.

Crabtree makes a guy miss damn near everytime he catches a ball. He'll plant his foot and sidestep guys with ease.

Crabtree saved the Seahawks game for us and was our best offensive player down the stretch. It's great Vernon showed up in the playoffs but you gotta produce to get their to begin with.

Crabtree missed quite a bit of playing time and wasn't fully healthy till halfway through the season and STILL managed to out produce Vernon.

Out produce how...what did he really do?

Lets do math shall we, stats for every game including playoffs.

Davis 1084 yards 77 catches 10 TD's

Crabtree 902 yards 77 catches 5 TD's

gore was our best offenive weapon inseason and VD was the best in playoffs

outproduving vernon in season doesnt really mean much VD was asked to block the first 10 weeks and crabtree was really our only other target

crabtree is a decent WR but he disappears as soon as double coverage hits him which imo is unacceptable and one of the main reasons why we lost the giants game

and the 2nd year of crabtree he was fine to participate he just didnt

remember this?

Davis was clear that Crabtree had annoyed him in some way, and that Davis felt it was time he had to do something about it.

Davis said it wasn't about Crabtree missing preseason games, and it wasn't specifically about practice. He said it was football related.

i like crabtree but not participating in offseason after till 4th year? that is just unheard off

also the fact he is our #1 WR he completely is halting the passing offense because he is (or was) practicallly learning the playbook as we played games which hurt the offense
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
gore was our best offenive weapon inseason and VD was the best in playoffs

outproduving vernon in season doesnt really mean much VD was asked to block the first 10 weeks and crabtree was really our only other target

crabtree is a decent WR but he disappears as soon as double coverage hits him which imo is unacceptable and one of the main reasons why we lost the giants game

and the 2nd year of crabtree he was fine to participate he just didnt

remember this?

<blockquote class="quote"><div>Quote:</div> Davis was clear that Crabtree had annoyed him in some way, and that Davis felt it was time he had to do something about it.

Davis said it wasn't about Crabtree missing preseason games, and it wasn't specifically about practice. He said it was football related.

i like crabtree but not participating in offseason after till 4th year? that is just unheard off

also the fact he is our #1 WR he completely is halting the passing offense because he is (or was) practicallly learning the playbook as we played games which hurt the offense
Gore had a very strong stretch of 5 games but disappeared in quite a few.

Lmfao the hypocrisy is just hilarious. You bth praise VD and use his inability to pick up the offense(or saying he was ised just as a blocker which i assume is tou referencing him not being able to pick up the offense) as a plus in your argument yet a few paragraphs later you blame crabs for halting the passing offense because he was still learning it? Sounds a bit twisted to me...

As for crabs disappearing with double coverage, I agree, but I dont think its all his fault. Alex Smith is the last QB who will ever challenge double coverage. He finds the safe open read and hits it. This IMO is unlike QBs like Stafford or Eli who WILL make a point of forcing the ball to their #1 guy sometimes even if they are double covered. The Giants identified our running game and Michael Crabtree as the weapons they wanted to stop and so he got doubled leaving our other guys singled.

I get you guys dont have as high of an opinion of crabs as i do and I respect that. I guess I'll leave this argument with my own conviction of crabtrees skills. He has had a lot going against him in his career(s**t head coach and offensive system, journeyman QB with compromised arm strength whose greatest quality is holding the ball and not throwing a bad pick) and yet he has still produced as well as any WR we've had the last 10 years or so.

Early on he was his own worst nightmare, missing valuable time in the contract dispute and losing focus too often his sophomore year which led to too many deflected ints. Now he is a class act and a team leader and he will lead our team in receptions and yards this year. I'll bet on it.
[ Edited by kush on May 23, 2012 at 3:34 PM ]
Last 11 games of 2011 regular season:

Crabtree: 61 rec 742 yards 4 TDs
S. Smith: 52 rec 782 yards 4 TDs
Bowe: 58 rec 739 yards 1 td

Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:

OK, but he needs to show his a** in the playoff. One of the must disappointing aspect of Crabtree last year. I'm all for him to show up and build upon last year.

and thats the point i was making

if he actually had some work ethic during the offseason he will be a good WR

Being hurt kinda hurts your ability to workout
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

big whoop, anybody can take a small sample size to make something look good. You gotta look at the entire body of work.

there is a reason VD called him out on his practice a year or so ago
The Crabtree hatred around here is just ridiculous. Are you guys really that butt hurt that he held out as a rookie? That he hasn't been healthy during the preseason? Give it a rest already. He is one of the most liked guys in the locker room, has received effusive praise from anyone who matters and has been our leading receiver since the moment he stepped on the field. If Alex Smith gets 7 years of chances when he showed absolutely nothing through a majority of his early career then why can't we afford Crabtree the same? Is it not possible that he has not fully emerged?

If a guy like Anquan Boldin had a young Alex Smith throwing to him through the first 4 years of his career here would probably have around the same numbers, and the same know-it-alls around here would be saying "Boldin doesn't have the speed to separate" or "Boldin can't get open against double coverage" or "Boldin will never be an impact receiver". Does that mean he has any less ability as a player? No. Does a receiver have to be able to blow by guys to be effective? Absolutely not.

Thissss
Share 49ersWebzone