49ers vs. Seahawks Tickets Available! →

There are 571 users in the forums

Anthony Davis is not a bust...Period!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mike
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,827
Originally posted by crabman82:
i actually think he'd be a better left tackle than he is at right tackle, and vice versa for staley, but no need to rock the boat i suppose

Ugh. People always want to change up the positions for no reason. There's a reason he's at right. LT is where the strongest OT goes and believe it or not that is staley. He's a veteran and generally, other than his miscues with Iupati from time to time this year(due to practically no offseason), he was pretty damn solid.
Anthony Davis is only getting better and better and yes, he's only 22. You could see his improvement last year in watching closely (despite having an average RG next to him). I see some people mentioning he should be shifted to G or even LT...he does not need to move to another position but rather should stay right where he is. His upside is huge as he continues to gain NFL experience. Now, if we just had a quality RG next to him to help solidify the right side of our line...we need to improve on blocking stunts, unusual blitzes, etc., such as what Baltimore threw at us last year.
Maybe a lesson re: underage USC OL. SC is known as an Offensive lineman factory. Strange how we had two SC Ols who both struggled, but for AD, that is in the past. The kid has really done better, actually playing well this yr. Sure he had some goofs, but he's young . The more he played the better he got. Chilo on the other hand...well, he had warts( on his hand). Moral: Maybe we might want to let the USC OL guys play 4 yrs before drafting them , and if they come out early, really think it over.


I had my doubts early on but yes, he's been pretty solid and will only continue to get better.
I love AD. I love how nasty he is and is one of if not the first guy to get in someones face if they cheapshot/late hit one of his teammates, and especially how he was all up in Suh all game. Not to mention the improvement from year one to year two was nice.
SO BRAVE.
I want to buy his jersey! Quick, where is that spammer's link?
His play picked up the moment Snyder replaced Chilo. Chilo's poor play negatively effected the whole line and it was really addition by subtraction getting him out of the lineup.

Once Anthony had someone competent playing next to him he looked like the player we hoped he'd be when he was drafted, he has a real nasty streak and I could see him being an enforcer on the line for years to come.
He's kind of an a hole on twitter.....
people need to stop with all the crap about moving him to RG....IT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN
No, not a bust at all. The reason people want to move him to RG or do whatever other bright ideas they have is because, at this point, many feel he hasn't lived up exactly to his 11th spot in the draft (with a trade up). I don't know if that's exactly fair, because he was only 20 years old when we drafted him. He's got a bright future and is likely our future left tackle. He has only gotten better each of his first two seasons. He's got a bright future, at tackle, with us and I'm looking forward to it.
Not a bust... and I like him.

Still want him moved to RG. He may be decent at RT, but he can be a perennial Pro Bowl guard.

Why? He has poor instincts outside, poor lateral, and poor COD (change of direction) recovery skills... so he lessens what he can do when he's out in space. He is built for OG duty, and can play more aggressively inside.

That does not mean I (for instance) think he is a bust... sucks... or can't even get a little better at RT. However, he's simply not good at the underlined aspects.

I don't want to start some rookie over Davis at RT. I want to take a legitimate look at Alex Boone to start at RT... with Davis sliding in at RG. That should not be looked at as a demotion. He's still locked in as a starting OL... and I feel it may be best for our team success.

edit: and as much as you think you see while watching these games? I watch them over and over for each player. I know a little bit of what I am talking about here. Doesn't mean it will be done at all... but I think it's worth a look.
[ Edited by oldman9er on Mar 28, 2012 at 5:49 AM ]
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Not a bust... and I like him.

Still want him moved to RG. He may be decent at RT, but he can be a perennial Pro Bowl guard.

Why? He has poor instincts outside, poor lateral, and poor COD (change of direction) recovery skills... so he lessens what he can do when he's out in space. He is built for OG duty, and can play more aggressively inside.

That does not mean I (for instance) think he is a bust... sucks... or can't even get a little better at RT. However, he's simply not good at the underlined aspects.

I don't want to start some rookie over Davis at RT. I want to take a legitimate look at Alex Boone to start at RT... with Davis sliding in at RG. That should not be looked at as a demotion. He's still locked in as a starting OL... and I feel it may be best for our team success.

edit: and as much as you think you see while watching these games? I watch them over and over for each player. I know a little bit of what I am talking about here. Doesn't mean it will be done at all... but I think it's worth a look.

Do you understand how pass protection works old man? Usually 9 times out of 10 the RB picks up pressure or helps inside. There is no help outside and both end up being blind spots for the QB depending on which side of the field he's throwing too. Where would our tackle come from a draft? You want to put another rookie on the edge??
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Maybe a lesson re: underage USC OL. SC is known as an Offensive lineman factory. Strange how we had two SC Ols who both struggled, but for AD, that is in the past. The kid has really done better, actually playing well this yr. Sure he had some goofs, but he's young . The more he played the better he got. Chilo on the other hand...well, he had warts( on his hand). Moral: Maybe we might want to let the USC OL guys play 4 yrs before drafting them , and if they come out early, really think it over.

Davis played for Rutgers
Kilgore > >>> Davis
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone