LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 613 users in the forums

Offseason So Far.....How do you feel overall?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Misfit_Niner540:
Sidekicks........

On a serious note, I'm praying that HarBaalke can somehow move up and land DeCastro. I don't know what it would take to get into the early teens, if he even lasts that long. Any thoughts? Or should I create a thread??..

DO NOT CREATE A THREAD. You'll get eaten alive by these posters, lol.
How do I feel about this offseason????

I posted a roster breakdown thread but now I am thinking I could have put it all in this thread. Mods, I'm sorry. If you want to merge I will swallow my pride.
What is not to like about this off season? A seasoned team with no off season coming back intact with a full off season on defense. Along with an possible upgrade to Shawnte at CB Cox. The addition and competition at QB. On paper a better wr corp. The only thing lacking is RG.

I think, unless the niners really believer Kilgore can replace Snyder, they are going after a RG.

With so many musical chairs at QB and WR, and since there is talent at wr, there is going to be a run at wr. Also, there are many tackles that people are saying may be a better guard. So my thinking is that they will draft these guys as tackles are more valuable, and if they are better suited, turn them into guards. So there maybe a run on these tackles and tackle/guards. Which means Decastro may drop far enough so that the niners can move up to pick him up as they will have to since some are projecting Ravens wanting him also.

I can just see it now if the niners do that, someone is going to gripe that the niners should't have, didn't need to or wasted an extra pick to get Decastro. Decastro is familiar with the offense that JH runs and is the type the niners probably want. If they do get him then expect the niners to go after a rb and wr after that (not in that order. Owusu could get picked up as a UFA, as their are concerns about his toughness and concusions, which teams are taking serious these days. Although someone might take a flyer on him just because of speed and all.
I like the offseason so far. The Manning thing was knda crazy but a solid offseason. I think a veteran Guard needs to be brought in.Maybe Davis or Kemoeatu and we would need to draft a guard as well.I also wouldnt mind drafting a big (6'2 ,215 +) WR to develop into out eventual #1. Other than that I only hope Crabtree plays this preseason, lol, wishful thinking I know.
RG is a huge issue and the offseason, as great as it has been, won't be an A+ without solidifying this position. Kilgore may be slotted to start but they still need to address backups and darn good ones in case Kilgore proves not to be ready.

Not sure Manningham and Moss would be my idea of a homerun either, as we don't know how well they will adapt to Harbaugh's system. Would like to see either Williams progressing as a short yardage receiver, along with Crabtree, or for them to pick up another receiver for this purpose. Too many questions about this group, but the FO has done what they could.

Edit: Would really like to see a superior route runner this year...not sure any of these guys qualify as one.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Mar 24, 2012 at 10:36 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Defense

Ahmad Brooks OLB
Dashon Goldson FS
Carlos Rogers CB
Larry Grant LB (tendered)
Parish Cox CB (new)

Not many thought we would keep the defense intact.
Baalke did and added Cox who can help both the defense and special teams.
Cox clearly has character issues.

Grade: A

Special Teams

Ted Ginn Jr. WR
C.J. Spillman S
Tavares Gooden LB
Rock Cartwright RB (new)

Basically retained the best special teams unit in the NFL
Keeping Ginn was excellent. Cox gives us a better back-up return man.
Keeping Spillan and Gooden was solid
Losing Castanzo hurts, but Cartwright is a solid special teams player and could be short yardage back.

Offense

Alex Smith QB
Randy Moss WR (new)
Mario Manningham (new)
Josh Johnson QB (new)

Adding Moss was an very good move. It may or may not work, but the high reward-low risk signing is well worth it.
Mario Manningham was a good move. Will be a solid #2, and could challenge for #1.

Keeping Alex Smith was expected but solid. I expect him to improve again this year.
Signing Josh Johnson is a move for the future. Conceptually solid, but we will have to wait to see if it works.
Still missing a move at RG. Looks like Kilgore will be the starter. Seems risky.
Good moves, but results remain to be seen.

Grade: C+ (with possibility of becoming more)

Overall Grade: B+ (easily).
[ Edited by buck on Mar 24, 2012 at 12:47 PM ]
Exellent!

We didn't overpay for anyone.

We covered a lot of bases, kept the D intact, got a qualiity QB back-up as competition and insurance if ASmith goes down, got quality WR & a low risk-high reward WR, additional KO guy in Rocky, Ginn resigned - NOT TOO SHABBY!

And I feel we'll get one more surprise FA for a 1 year deal.

Add to that the draft. So I feel damn goood.

Not enough props for Parrag Marath [sp], he works magic w/the cap.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
except for being a tad arrogant in the handling of the smith manning thing there is nothing to be upset with in the off season. As many have said, they kept the d in tact and any holes they have in the areas of depth with the possible loss of grant can be filled in with the draft. they signed cox and the rock which will help add depth to the return game, provide depth in the secondary and fill any holes we had with the loss of blake on special teams. i believe they upgraded at wide outs, they got a vetern back up quarterback thank god. Now we wait for the draft to get our gaurd and depth at running back and wide out. i think we have almost shot our wad in terms of the cap(AB would know better) so i think they just will do the draft and maybe get leonard davis in two months when he is healthy, the niners know he is not going anywhere. yes it would be nice to get a better gaurd like kyle kosier but i think the tit has almost went dry with our cap and now we have to watch our pennies. good job
Originally posted by buck:
Defense

Ahmad Brooks OLB
Dashon Goldson FS
Carlos Rogers CB
Larry Grant LB (tendered)
Parish Cox CB (new)

Not many thought we would keep the defense intact.
Baalke did and added Cox who can help both the defense and special teams.
Cox clearly has character issues.

Special Teams

Ted Ginn Jr. WR
C.J. Spillman S
Tavares Gooden LB
Rock Cartwright RB (new)

Basically retained the best special teams unit in the NFL
Keeping Ginn was excellent. Cox gives us a better back-up return man.
Keeping Spillan and Gooden was solid
Losing Castanzo hurts, but Cartwright is a solid special teams player and could be short yardage back.

Offense

Alex Smith QB
Randy Moss WR (new)
Mario Manningham (new)
Josh Johnson QB (new)

Adding Moss was an very good move. It may or may not work, but the high reward-low risk signing is well worth it.
Mario Manningham was a good move. Will be a solid #2, and could challenge for #1.

Keeping Alex Smith was expected but solid. I expect him to improve again this year.
Signing Josh Johnson is a move for the future. Conceptually solid, but we will have to wait to see if it works.
Still missing a move at RG. Looks like Kilgore will be the starter. Seems risky.
Good moves, but results remain to be seen.

Grade: C+ (with possibility of becoming an more)

Overall Grade: B+ (easily).

Best offseason....................SINCE THE STEVE YOUNG ERA

I feel great about the offseason thus far, and even though I am a bit worried about our RG, I am confident Balke and Harbaugh know what they are doing when they moved up to get Kilgore. If they can turn Miller into a great FB, they can definitely help Kilgore become the RG we need. Plus, I think we have one of the best offensive line coaches in the business in Mike Solari. We can probably add a little Veteran help after the draft and pick up a G/C in the draft for depth. However, if DeCastro falls in our lap, which I know he will not, I would pick him up in a heartbeat. Other than that I love our offseason and looking forward to the draft.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Too many questions about this group, but the FO has done what they could.

I think that's the key point. It wasn't their fault that the Redskins decided to inflate the market to stupid levels, but they should be congratulated for making the best of a bum market.
i would have been thrilled if we picked up another WR and Shwartz
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
I think that's the key point. It wasn't their fault that the Redskins decided to inflate the market to stupid levels, but they should be congratulated for making the best of a bum market.

Agree about the Redskins blowing the top off the WR market, which creates a need to balance need versus unreasonable cost. As much as they might want Wallace it would be difficult for Baalke to sign a contract that threw the entire team out of kilter salary-wise.
Is moran norris still on the team?
Share 49ersWebzone