There are 245 users in the forums

Get rid of Kyle Williams or keep him?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Get rid of Kyle Williams or keep him?

its hilarious how people assign William's PR failings to his entire skill-set, career, and ability as a receiver.

This entire board was so excited about Williams this season...until he had to return punts. The dude is a terrible punt returner but there is no reason to not still be excited about his future as a receiver. I hope he rebounds from his mistakes and earns a spot on this team next year and uses this all as motivation to contribute to this team. We applaud Alex Smith for doing so, I hope we can do the same with Williams.
Originally posted by wolfpack52:
1 fumble, 1 muff, 1 diving fair catch and at least two fair catches with plenty of room to advance the ball safely. He was completely owned all year by average CBs. So he's a useless WR and KR. Why should they hold a roster spot for him? Try again in the off season to pick up a big play WR(Edwards was a bust but they tried) and I'm sure they can pickup a backup punt returner in the draft.

He was OWNED?

Where the hell do you get that? He didn't even PLAY in most of the year and when he did he played well.

Seriously....do you guys just make this stuff up as you go?
He's not going to become a good player, period. If the dude isnt hurt, he's making bone headed decisions.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
its hilarious how people assign William's PR failings to his entire skill-set, career, and ability as a receiver.

This entire board was so excited about Williams this season...until he had to return punts. The dude is a terrible punt returner but there is no reason to not still be excited about his future as a receiver. I hope he rebounds from his mistakes and earns a spot on this team next year and uses this all as motivation to contribute to this team. We applaud Alex Smith for doing so, I hope we can do the same with Williams.

This. It's really quite comical how peeps have completely turned on the guy after 2 or 3 plays.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
If this would have happened on a regular season Sunday, Williams would have been CUT on Monday. For all you who keep whining/rationalizing that "it takes a team," "1-for-13 on 3rd down," blah blah blah, that's just LAME. Yes the offense was struggling, and of course you can deconstruct every game to say "well if this guy did this, then that would or wouldn't have happened." Stop it. The facts are that, as much as Smith/Offense were struggling, at the beginning of the 4th qtr they had enough points to win. The Niner D was KILLING Manning and the Giants...I don't think they even made it past midfield in 2nd half / OT, EXCEPT for the two gifts from Williams.

Sorry, the dude is a bubble player to begin with, easily replaceable...his modest WR skills are not even close to offsetting the liability of his PROVEN low football IQ. Don't forget, besides his spotty history in college, he almost cost the Niners the #2 seed in that Dec. 24th game against the Seahawks...Niners were very lucky a questionable personal foul was called on the 'Hawks on the KO return where Williams slipped and didn't realize he was NOT down, and then fumbled on the hit.

yeah, I remember when we cut Delanie Walker, David Baas, and Philip Adams after their mistakes against the Saints last year.
Please. None of those players made 6, count 'em, SIX egregious errors in a single game. Of those six, 3 cost the 49ers yardage in a field-position game. One, the diving catch of the punt, was just risky and stupid given circumstances and conditions. Another one, the muff, inexcusable...you yell "poison" and get the hell away from the ball. And finally, the fumble. In case you didn't notice, those last two effectively gave the Giants 10 points and a trip to Indy for the SB.

6? come on man.
1) drop/fumble on the attempted reverse, loss of 10 yards...this was on 1st/10, RIGHT AFTER holding Giants on 4th down.

2) dive to catch the punt

3 & 4) fair catches with no one within 10 yards...the second one I don't think there was a Giant within 15 yards.

5) muff

6) fumble

you fault him risky plays and also fault him for making the safe plays?

i count one "egregious error" in that list. The muff.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
He's not going to become a good player, period. If the dude isnt hurt, he's making bone headed decisions.

How do you know that? Jeez....where do you guys come up with this stuff?
If this would have happened on a regular season Sunday, Williams would have been CUT on Monday. For all you who keep whining/rationalizing that "it takes a team," "1-for-13 on 3rd down," blah blah blah, that's just LAME. Yes the offense was struggling, and of course you can deconstruct every game to say "well if this guy did this, then that would or wouldn't have happened." Stop it. The facts are that, as much as Smith/Offense were struggling, at the beginning of the 4th qtr they had enough points to win. The Niner D was KILLING Manning and the Giants...I don't think they even made it past midfield in 2nd half / OT, EXCEPT for the two gifts from Williams.

Sorry, the dude is a bubble player to begin with, easily replaceable...his modest WR skills are not even close to offsetting the liability of his PROVEN low football IQ. Don't forget, besides his spotty history in college, he almost cost the Niners the #2 seed in that Dec. 24th game against the Seahawks...Niners were very lucky a questionable personal foul was called on the 'Hawks on the KO return where Williams slipped and didn't realize he was NOT down, and then fumbled on the hit.

yeah, I remember when we cut Delanie Walker, David Baas, and Philip Adams after their mistakes against the Saints last year.
Please. None of those players made 6, count 'em, SIX egregious errors in a single game. Of those six, 3 cost the 49ers yardage in a field-position game. One, the diving catch of the punt, was just risky and stupid given circumstances and conditions. Another one, the muff, inexcusable...you yell "poison" and get the hell away from the ball. And finally, the fumble. In case you didn't notice, those last two effectively gave the Giants 10 points and a trip to Indy for the SB.

6? come on man.
1) drop/fumble on the attempted reverse, loss of 10 yards...this was on 1st/10, RIGHT AFTER holding Giants on 4th down.

3 & 4) fair catches with no one within 10 yards...the second one I don't think there was a Giant within 15 yards.

5) muff

6) fumble

well....... 5 & 6 actually make 3 & 4 not bad ideas............. jus saying............
Originally posted by Marvin49:

He's had 21 catches in two years. WTF are you waiting for him to do? Hes not gonna be setting the league on fire. The dude is a 5 spot at best, theres plenty of recievers out there who could do his job on the bench. He's not gonna wake up one day and have it all click for him. The game obviously moves too fast for him.

If it came down between him and a rookie WR in camp next year i would take the rookie who didnt cost us a trip to the Super Bowl.
He is not even that good stop sucking off a guy who was only on our team due to our lack of depth. He will not make the cut next year and if he does it is more of a statement of our WR corp then to his abilities.
its not unreasonable. if you average out what he did over the last 6 games of the season, when he had the majority of his receptions, into a 16 game schedule, he could easily be a guy who has 50 catches a year. at 12 yards a catch, that's 600 yards. its not unreasonable to think that a second year player in a more established offense could improve upon those numbers.

It's not only unreasonable, I expect it.

6? come on man.

5) muff

6) fumble

you fault him risky plays and also fault him for making the safe plays?

i count one "egregious error" in that list. The muff.

Not just that, but everyone is crucifying him over that last fumble....

....had any of you watched what had happened BEFORE that play. The O did NOTHING. NOTHING!!

The only points in the second half were scored after....wait for it....LONG KYLE WILLIAMS KICKOFF RETURNS!!!

As for the list above

1) bad play, but I actually blame the play call more then anything. You don;t call a play that puts the ball at risk that many times in those conditions. He also made a good play to get it back.

2) Bad play....but if you know anything about Candlestick, it's pretty common. On a windy, rainy day the ball will do some weird things in the air. He should have just let it go, but they guy is very young and will make those kinds of mistakes.

3 +4) No clue what you are talking about. Dunno those specific plays...but it's one or the other. He should either be conservative or try to make a play. Make up your mind.

5) BAD, BAD play. Total brainfart. Not excusing it.

6) He was trying to give the O good field position because they had shown ZERO ability to move the ball. None. He knew all they needed was a field goal and he tried to go out and win the game. I won't fault a guy for it.
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
Um...dunno how to tell you this, but he was down in the Seahawks game. So...if that's your best attempt at creating a "pattern of verifiable malfeasance" you'd better try another angle.

Do you think Williams knew he was "technically" down? Hell no he didn't. The whistle HAD NOT blown. Players get up and run all the time after going down untouched. He started to get up and his actions could easily have been interpreted as he was trying to advance. There was NO whistle. He either needs to get up and run, or cover up on the ball and wait for a whistle. He did neither. Just because I'm not an apologist for him doesn't mean I hate the dude. I'm just stating the fact that he has a low football IQ.

He's had 21 catches in two years. WTF are you waiting for him to do? Hes not gonna be setting the league on fire. The dude is a 5 spot at best, theres plenty of recievers out there who could do his job on the bench. He's not gonna wake up one day and have it all click for him. The game obviously moves too fast for him.

If it came down between him and a rookie WR in camp next year i would take the rookie who didnt cost us a trip to the Super Bowl.

16 of those catches happened in his last 6 games. he's not a starter but he seems to have the skills to be a good part of the platoon. whether or not he makes the team next year is partly up to him and partly up to how many good WR's the team can bring in. He may end up being the odd man out, he may not.

there's nothing reasonable about your position. Its fine to blame him for the loss and to be angry about it. But looking at the big picture, divorced from emotion, there's not much to hold up your stance.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49er4america:
He is not even that good stop sucking off a guy who was only on our team due to our lack of depth. He will not make the cut next year and if he does it is more of a statement of our WR corp then to his abilities.

I just realized you're 15. Now I feel bad for engaging you in conversation. You will learn, sir. Best of luck.
Not just that, but everyone is crucifying him over that last fumble....

....had any of you watched what had happened BEFORE that play. The O did NOTHING. NOTHING!!

The only points in the second half were scored after....wait for it....LONG KYLE WILLIAMS KICKOFF RETURNS!!!

As for the list above

1) bad play, but I actually blame the play call more then anything. You don;t call a play that puts the ball at risk that many times in those conditions. He also made a good play to get it back.

2) Bad play....but if you know anything about Candlestick, it's pretty common. On a windy, rainy day the ball will do some weird things in the air. He should have just let it go, but they guy is very young and will make those kinds of mistakes.

3 +4) No clue what you are talking about. Dunno those specific plays...but it's one or the other. He should either be conservative or try to make a play. Make up your mind.

5) BAD, BAD play. Total brainfart. Not excusing it.

6) He was trying to give the O good field position because they had shown ZERO ability to move the ball. None. He knew all they needed was a field goal and he tried to go out and win the game. I won't fault a guy for it.

The Niners were winning 14-10 and the only points the Giants scored in the 2nd half and OT were off his crucial mistakes. As a 4 or 5th spot reciever, he needs to have skill sets that help the team in other areas ie special teams. And hes proven that he cant do that, so lets find one that can.
Share 49ersWebzone