LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 215 users in the forums

Boone extended

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Chief:
A. Brooks and a few other players turned down new contacts.

Kind of surprised with Brooks. Hoping he just wants to see if he can do better and get a better deal with us after the playoffs.

I hope that doesn't mean they leave for more money
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Kind of surprised with Brooks. Hoping he just wants to see if he can do better and get a better deal with us after the playoffs.

this is what I'm thinking. If he has a monster postseason and we win the Super Bowl, he adds a lot to his contract. And even if he doesn't do anything special from here on our he knows he can probably get whatever the team has already offered.

somehow, I doubt he actually gets to test the market.

Would be nice to know the details of those proposals
  • Sman
Originally posted by backontop:

I hope that doesn't mean they leave for more money

he's gonna bolt...I hope they make Rogers and Goldson the number 1 prioritys. Draft Shane Skov in the 3rd round too. That guy would is the perfect strong side OLB in the 3-4
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Ahmad Brooks - LB - 49ers

Ahmad Brooks is one of a handful of players to reportedly turn down a long-term contract proposal from the 49ers.

Others believed to have turned down an offer are RG Adam Snyder, TE Delanie Walker, ILB Larry Grant, and S C.J. Spillman. Brooks has expressed an interest in staying with the 49ers long-term, but he apparently wasn't thrilled with the team's offer.

Man that sucks, it was probably a low-balling deal. Baalke and Paraage are just trying to lock up players before the price starts to go up, we're 10-2....too late.
they have tried to extend RJF and Delanie as well, according to Barrows.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Ahmad Brooks - LB - 49ers

Ahmad Brooks is one of a handful of players to reportedly turn down a long-term contract proposal from the 49ers.

Others believed to have turned down an offer are RG Adam Snyder, TE Delanie Walker, ILB Larry Grant, and S C.J. Spillman. Brooks has expressed an interest in staying with the 49ers long-term, but he apparently wasn't thrilled with the team's offer.

Man that sucks, it was probably a low-balling deal. Baalke and Paraage are just trying to lock up players before the price starts to go up, we're 10-2....too late.

we still have some cap room to play with now, makes sense to get some guys under contract and use this years remaining money to take the burned off of next year
Originally posted by HessianDud:

WTF is going on?
Originally posted by jreff22:

WTF is going on?

They want to see if they can get more money elsewhere

WTF is going on?

i think its just the start of the process. locking up guys whose contracts are expiring this year or next, trying to use some of this years extra cap to eat up some of the new contract money, getting a feel for what kind of negotiations they are in for. I expect a few of these guys to be extended in the next few weeks, and some others to wait until the end of the season. I imagine, too, that some of these "feeler" talks have been going on for a few weeks. after all, I doubt Boone's deal was done in a day.

I don't think its anything to worry about yet.
[ Edited by HessianDud on Dec 8, 2011 at 10:34 PM ]
Originally posted by backontop:

WTF is going on?

They want to see if they can get more money elsewhere

A) I cant believe we are really lowballing these guys that bad
B) I figured we would get a bit more loyalty out of this group

WTF is going on?

i think its just the start of the process. locking up guys whose contracts are expiring this year or next, trying to use some of this years extra cap to eat up some of the new contract money, getting a feel for what kind of negotiations they are in for. I expect a few of these guys to be extended in the next few weeks, and some others to wait until the end of the season. I imagine, too, that some of these "feeler" talks have been going on for a few weeks. after all, I doubt Boone's deal was done in a day.

We have to use this cap space ASAP, if we want a lot of these guys on the roster next year using what we have now is imperative. Backups turning down new contracts.....?

WTF is going on?

We have to use this cap space ASAP, if we want a lot of these guys on the roster next year using what we have now is imperative. Backups turning down new contracts.....?

for all we know, Boone turned down the first offer that came his way too. All we know is that the team has started negotiations with certain players. Just because they haven't signed them yet doesn't mean anything--certainly not that there isn't any "loyalty" or that we are "lowballing" them.

frankly, i don't blame career backups on a (finally) winning team trying to take advantage of their chance to get a good payday.
I hope we don't lose any of those guys

Backups turning down contracts hmm
Share 49ersWebzone