LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 277 users in the forums

Boone extended

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Chief:
A. Brooks and a few other players turned down new contacts.
Ahmad Brooks - LB - 49ers

Ahmad Brooks is one of a handful of players to reportedly turn down a long-term contract proposal from the 49ers.

Others believed to have turned down an offer are RG Adam Snyder, TE Delanie Walker, ILB Larry Grant, and S C.J. Spillman. Brooks has expressed an interest in staying with the 49ers long-term, but he apparently wasn't thrilled with the team's offer.

Man that sucks, it was probably a low-balling deal. Baalke and Paraage are just trying to lock up players before the price starts to go up, we're 10-2....too late.

Though I wouldn't assume they were low-ball deals, I am sure that Parage is trying to sign as many players as he can now because if they do get past the first playoff game, the price will go up.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by valrod33:
I think Delanie Walker is gonna leave to be a starter somewhere

I hope not, I wanna see what he can do in year #2 of Harbaugh's offense ..keeping the Davis / Walker combo should be a priority

i think he's still signed through next year. so even if his plan is to leave when he can, we'll still get a chance to see him in year #2 of the Harbacolypse.
Originally posted by Whomeam:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Karma:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Chief:
A. Brooks and a few other players turned down new contacts.
Quote:
Ahmad Brooks - LB - 49ers

Ahmad Brooks is one of a handful of players to reportedly turn down a long-term contract proposal from the 49ers.

Others believed to have turned down an offer are RG Adam Snyder, TE Delanie Walker, ILB Larry Grant, and S C.J. Spillman. Brooks has expressed an interest in staying with the 49ers long-term, but he apparently wasn't thrilled with the team's offer.

Man that sucks, it was probably a low-balling deal. Baalke and Paraage are just trying to lock up players before the price starts to go up, we're 10-2....too late.

we still have some cap room to play with now, makes sense to get some guys under contract and use this years remaining money to take the burned off of next year

It does make sense, but the players also new what they were doing. Its seems like its gonna get really hard to re-sign these guys now that our 9ers are 10-2 with most likely more wins to come. But Snyder, Brooks, Walker and Grant need to be locked up, Spillman I could careless, a draft pick could easily replace him. Man, the FO is gonna have some hard decisions next off-season.

I just don't get the point of leaving a winning franchise. You are now part of something special and leaving for a bit more money is more important? I understand its a business but making $10 million and losing or making $7 million and winning....I would rather have fun and win.

Of course I'm speculating, but maybe they want to stay, but their agents are guiding them the wrong way. I have a feeling we might lose a couple starters in the off-season, doubt the 9ers would want to get into a bidding war. I can handle if Snyder leaves, but we gotta lock up Brooks, he wreaks havoc on that left-side.

This is simple negotiations. The players have never been happier and the FO is trying to capitalize on that fact. They make an offer and the player's agent counters. We are in one of the best situations for negotiating contracts that a team can be in:

1. Team officials have shown their willingness to offer contracts. Players and agents appreciate that. There are plenty of teams out there that put themselves in holding patterns because they don't know which direction to take the team.

2. Coaches have shown that they will praise players accordingly rather than withhold praise to gain leverage. Remember how Harbaugh immediately stated that they want Josh Morgan back after his injury? You have to realize how special that is.

3. Veterans are even willing to admit how much they want to be back with the team. Carlos Rogers went on NFL network and flat out said he wants to be back here. You hardly ever see a FA in his first year with a team come out and say that.

4. We are winning and all signs point to longevity for this franchise. Make no mistake, salary will always be an issue. These players have short careers and they need to set themselves up for the next 60 years, but winning plays a role. There are few teams with a better atmosphere and that will be important.

All of that said, we will lose some players next year, but the FO will have done their due diligence and decided they can replace the productivity if it happens. THe fact that contracts are being offered is ONLY good news!

Pretty much this. Apart from Spillman who probably should have signed, the others are probably working on the assumption that you always say no to the first offer.

I think the key players will be back.

Yep. This is negotiating 101. Always give a low offer and you just work from there until both sides are happy. Kinda surprised some people here are freaking out. I think last offseason was enough to prove that Baalke knows what he's doing here.

Everyone qouted here is exactly right.

I'm no longer worried if we lose a starter, I now have faith that Baalke can replace that position through the draft.

I'm more hoping that we get this bunch locked up, I could care less about FA next year, these are the players that make us 10-2, we sign who we can, we get rid of the ones we can't keep, and replace those players in April.
I wonder if thats why Walkers production suddenly declined. Niners dont want him to put up numbers that way he cant ask for a huge contract
I wonder if thats why Walkers production suddenly declined. Niners dont want him to put up numbers that way he cant ask for a huge contract

that's why Harbaugh really loves Smith: he knows that Smith sucks so bad that no one else on offense will put up good numbers and so be cheaper to keep.

Its Harbrilliant!
Originally posted by HessianDud:

that's why Harbaugh really loves Smith: he knows that Smith sucks so bad that no one else on offense will put up good numbers and so be cheaper to keep.

Its Harbrilliant!

Genius
Well deserved by Boone and a smart move by Baalke.

It is so very uplifting to see him progress out of addiction and into success. Hopfully others who are suffering with similar challenges will use this to help themselves.
good news to hear, i was away all day yesterday, just woke up and say this, good stuff
Love this move and very happy for Boone too, proud of him. Imagine, getting a 310 lb, 6'8" lineman who can START in this league...and we got him as an UDFA? It's like getting a high round draft pick for free. The Seahawks spent their last two #1 picks on Tackles...let's hope that's a need they need to address every year, for the next ten years...

As far as the other guys, I hope we get them done but let's not overpay. Really love what we did with Carlos Rogers, and just the whole FO approach of getting quality guys at the right price that fit the system. It's a very New England way of doing things.

Much better than overpaying for marquee players and then not using them correctly -- like Nmandi Asomugha and the Eagles. Maybe the best coverage guy in the league, wasted in a broken defense.

My guys to re-sign after this year:
Carlos Rogers
Alex Smith
Dashon Goldson
Adam Snyder
Ahmad Brooks without overpaying
and Larry Grant if he plays like that every week! The depth of our LB group is astonishing.
Share 49ersWebzone