LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

Soo umm who do you see NOT making it back with the Niners next season? Trade or Release?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Envy:
That might happen actually. I'd be shocked but its not that much of a stretch.

I could totally see it happening, but I doubt he'd want to leave. In fact, I'd go as far to say that he's stay here for less money (hell, he's done it before). He, like the rest of the world knows that the 49ers are an ideal situation for him, and leaving would be very risky.
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Alex Smith.

I know, a lot are going to call this hateing or whatever; but, some stupid team (Redskins) will probably offer way too much $$$ to Alex for us to want to keep him.

they'll be too focused on giving up the house for Peyton
Rachal and Norris are as good as gone. Goldson maybe, if he asks (again) for a ridiculous contract. He's good no doubt, definitely a top ten safety. His problem is he wants to be paid like a top five safety (which is ludicrous). Braylon is likely gone too. Couldn't stay healthy, and probably won't want to sign another $1 million dollar deal knowing he could get more elsewhere. But whatever happens, much like this year, I expect any departures to have minimal impact since all of our core players are already locked up. And I'd suspect that a few are going to be extended sooner than later.
Originally posted by King49er:
Alex Smith.

I know, a lot are going to call this hateing or whatever; but, some stupid team (Redskins) will probably offer way too much $$$ to Alex for us to want to keep him.

Or drafting a qb.
Here are my possible releases:

Dixon, Norris, Morgan or Edwards, Ginn (luxury, not productive as a WR), Boone, Smith or Tolzein, Ian Williams, Dobbs, Grant, Spencer, Haralson.

I know I will get flamed for this but I don't think gore will be starting next year. I almost expect the niners to use their highest pick on a RB if a 1st round quality RB is available. Possible retirement.

I also don't see snyder starting next year but instead an FA pickup. It seems every year the niners try to find a reason not to start Snyder and Rachal isn't ready.
Free Agents I think we'll retain and will be locks to make the 2012 53 man roster:
Alex Smith
Adam Snyder
Ahmad Brooks
Carlos Rogers
Josh Morgan
Alex Boone (RFA)
Ted Ginn

Low Budget Free Agents I think we'll retain and will be on the 2012 53 man roster bubble:
Larry Grant
Tavares Gooden
Blake Costanzo
Tramaine Brock (EFA)
C.J. Spillman (RFA)
Will Tukuafu (RFA)
Brett Swain
Justin Peele

Free Agents I think we don't retain:
Braylon Edwards - It's just not meshing here
Dashon Goldson - I think he'll break the bank somewhere else
Moran Norris
Chilo Rachal
Madieu Williams

The only possible outright release candidate appears to be Spencer with one year left on his current deal. While is salary is high for a back-up, it's not so bad that we couldn't hang on to him into next summer and dangle him for a future draft pick to some team desperate for secondary help.
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Nov 30, 2011 at 12:30 PM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I don't know how long Goodwin can last. He's getting up there in age. We have to get someone in at center incase of a likelihood of a total drop off from Goodwin. Like Larry Allen.

Upgrade needed, for sure. Some good centers in this draft.
Originally posted by English:
Alex Smith.

Or drafting a qb.

nah they'll use that draft pick among others to get Peyton. Their track record/philosophy is well established.
Or drafting a qb.

Shanahan hasn't seemed to be patient with grooming a QB since the Brian Griese experiment.

Edit: Oops. I totally forgot about Cutler. My mistake.
[ Edited by fastforward on Nov 30, 2011 at 1:05 PM ]
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Alex Smith.

Or drafting a qb.

nah they'll use that draft pick among others to get Peyton. Their track record/philosophy is well established.

I didnt phrase my post well. I was making a general comment not a specific one about the Skins.

See ya Braylon!
See ya Norris!
See ya Chilo!

Hello Peyton!
Justin Peele. If he keeps getting owned like he did in the Ravens game!
Originally posted by fister30:
Here are my possible releases:

Dixon, Norris, Morgan or Edwards, Ginn (luxury, not productive as a WR), Boone, Smith or Tolzein, Ian Williams, Dobbs, Grant, Spencer, Haralson.

I know I will get flamed for this but I don't think gore will be starting next year. I almost expect the niners to use their highest pick on a RB if a 1st round quality RB is available. Possible retirement.

I also don't see snyder starting next year but instead an FA pickup. It seems every year the niners try to find a reason not to start Snyder and Rachal isn't ready.

I seriously doubt Smith and Morgan go anywhere. I think Ginn stays, he's among the top returners in the game. Haralson is too important in the run game, so I give him one more year. Boone is a physical specimen who I suspect the coaches really want to groom as a "swing man". The 49ers simply had to find room on the 53 for Ian Williams and Demarcus Dobbs as it was clear to all that they could not hide them on the practice squad. In pre-season they lit it up, especially Dobbs. I don't see them being let go. In fact, I don't see the 9ers drafting in their position unless an Ndamukong Suh-type stud falls in their lap. I'm not sure about Dixon and Grant, I think he's 50-50 - ST. I could see Spencer, I just hope not. But I expect we go DB in the 1st or 2nd round in the next draft so Spencer could be out. I think Snyder has been solid for the season and see him staying.

You might be right about Gore. IF Hunter see's more carries and really impresses starting Gore over him next season would be hard for any coaching staff. But I don't see him retiring at all. He has a lot left but shouldn't be ridden into the dirt. I see the 9ers picking up a RB in the draft, but in later rounds. I see the 49ers featuring Gore next year but using more of a runningback-by-committee approach.

And I just don't see D. Goldson seeking to break the bank. But if he do I think he becomes an obvious franchise target. With the way he's playing and hitting I doubt the 9ers could easily replace him (see the Cardinals game).
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Free Agents I think we'll retain and will be locks to make the 2012 53 man roster:
Alex Smith
Adam Snyder
Ahmad Brooks
Carlos Rogers
Josh Morgan
Alex Boone (RFA)
Ted Ginn

Low Budget Free Agents I think we'll retain and will be on the 2012 53 man roster bubble:
Larry Grant
Tavares Gooden
Blake Costanzo
Tramaine Brock (EFA)
C.J. Spillman (RFA)
Will Tukuafu (RFA)
Brett Swain
Justin Peele

Free Agents I think we don't retain:
Braylon Edwards - It's just not meshing here
Dashon Goldson - I think he'll break the bank somewhere else
Moran Norris
Chilo Rachal
Madieu Williams

The only possible outright release candidate appears to be Spencer with one year left on his current deal. While is salary is high for a back-up, it's not so bad that we couldn't hang on to him into next summer and dangle him for a future draft pick to some team desperate for secondary help.

Yep - that is about right!
Originally posted by enker1700:
Hey everyone, first time, long time........

I have been a 49ers fan for 25 years now and I live in NY so I rarely get to see any games (I had to go to a bar on Thanksgiving to watch the Ravens game!)

Anyway, I wanted to touch on this post and just say that we should use the money that we save by letting these guys go/trading them and sign a #1/shut down corner. We don't need a Derrel Revis or a Nhamdi Asoumaugh, but maybe someone like an Ike Taylor or Dantu Robinson or Deangelo Hall because I feel this is the one and only piece were are missing to be an absolute no question about it elite team. That guy could take away the other team's best receiver and we could then roll the coverage with Rogers and one of the safeties over the top to the other receiver and allow Rogers to make plays, like he has been doing this year, on a more frequent basis.

Thoughts?

I don't see them doing that. I say we re-sign Carlos Rogers who is having a great year, and draft a stud corner round 1, Keep adding to the defense at every level. But if a stud sure handed wideout is available in round 1 we could go wide out over corner because I'm sick of having the king of drops at both WR spots.
[ Edited by BillWalsh on Nov 30, 2011 at 3:55 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone