LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 142 users in the forums

Soo umm who do you see NOT making it back with the Niners next season? Trade or Release?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If I were the JH, id be cutting or trading:

Chilo Rachal( worth maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder if we were to trade him)
Moran Norris (his time is up)
Shawntae Spencer (I like him when he plays, but he's always hurt. Kinda like a Bob Sanders scenario. Could trade him for a 3rd or 4th rounder as well)
Tremaine Brock (I feel that maybe he's peaked, not sure. He's a nickel corner at best)
Tarrell Brown (Only if we can land a better CB)
Madieu Williams (Cost us the Cowboys game, plus he brings nothing to the team. He can definitely enjoy free agency)
so what of this is related to draft?
I can't see anyone giving us a 3rd for Rachal! Anyway, I thought his contract came up after this season?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
You would be lucky to get a used gaterade bucket in a trade for Chilo.
LOL @ Rachal worth a 3/4 round pick
I agree that we need to get rid of most of those players, but Brown should stay b/c he's not a #2 CB, but he's a great nickel back. Also, NONE of those trade scenarios would happen, most likely going to be released rather than getting picks for them
Alex Smith.

I know, a lot are going to call this hateing or whatever; but, some stupid team (Redskins) will probably offer way too much $$$ to Alex for us to want to keep him.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Yeah I stopped reading at rachal for a 3rd/4th. Seems like so many people think our junk is worth something, teams aren't that stupid. You think they won't see dallas/cinci beating him consistently before we benched him and then the ravens disaster? He's worth nothing.

If he was truly worth a 4th we would keep him. A 4th rounder is at least a pretty solid depth guy typically. No one trades for a guy that we're willing to release.
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Alex Smith.

I know, a lot are going to call this hateing or whatever; but, some stupid team (Redskins) will probably offer way too much $$$ to Alex for us to want to keep him.

That might happen actually. I'd be shocked but its not that much of a stretch.
dashon goldson, hes looking to break the bank and i wouldnt pay him that much

• boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by Envy:
Alex Smith.

Alex would resign with the Niners for less money before he went to a team like the 'Skins
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Envy:
Alex Smith.

I second that but Alex is a frugal guy, he's the same as Palmer who says he had over $80 Mil in the bank. Smith was letting Ronald Johnson drive his mercedes while smith drove a ford pick around(no idea how old). Smith probably has 20 or 30 mil left over from all of his money and I don't see him chasing the cash across the country to the hell hole that is the Redskins. Not to mention he would be on his 8th offensive system in 8 years, no way in hell he puts himself behind the 8 ball with an atrocious supporting cast(at least the tight end would have the same last name lol).

Edit: forgot to mention that the only players who are playing well enough to merit any kind of trade offers from other teams are our cornerstones to the franchise: Gore, Iupati, Crabtree(i know but it's true), Staley(sort of), Justin Smith, Ray Mac, Pwilley, and Bowman. After that we would get a 2013 5th rounder for just about everyone on our roster.
[ Edited by sfout on Nov 30, 2011 at 8:25 AM ]
Hey everyone, first time, long time........

I have been a 49ers fan for 25 years now and I live in NY so I rarely get to see any games (I had to go to a bar on Thanksgiving to watch the Ravens game!)

Anyway, I wanted to touch on this post and just say that we should use the money that we save by letting these guys go/trading them and sign a #1/shut down corner. We don't need a Derrel Revis or a Nhamdi Asoumaugh, but maybe someone like an Ike Taylor or Dantu Robinson or Deangelo Hall because I feel this is the one and only piece were are missing to be an absolute no question about it elite team. That guy could take away the other team's best receiver and we could then roll the coverage with Rogers and one of the safeties over the top to the other receiver and allow Rogers to make plays, like he has been doing this year, on a more frequent basis.

Thoughts?
I don't know how long Goodwin can last. He's getting up there in age. We have to get someone in at center incase of a likelihood of a total drop off from Goodwin. Like Larry Allen.
I might be the only one but I think Ted Ginn. With the way that Kyle Williams has played when given the chance you can tell that he is a better receiver than Ginn. The only thing that worries me is the return game, but didn't Williams do that at ASU and was pretty good at it iirc.
Share 49ersWebzone