There are 315 users in the forums

Will the Passing Game Develop in time for the playoffs?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Will the Passing Game Develop in time for the playoffs?

Originally posted by laughsatyou:
I think that we were on the verge against Tampa Bay, but then we lost who I believe our main target in Morgan, and that probably caused us to scrap a lot of plays that we had been rehearsing and set us back a couple weeks.

Agree with the above -- and Edwards loss hurt too.

It is really puzzling that Smith and Crabtree still lack chemistry. It seems that they miss more receptions than anyone else by far. I'd sure love to hear that they are working on the off days to get in sync and on target.
3rd drive 3rd quarter

1. heavy pressure strong-side, short flat route pass to Miller off his fingers. (Alex hit as he released by LDT... Goodwin's man)
2. pitch-out weak side to Hunter goes nowhere... defenders flying in... loss of 4
3. 3rd and 10 - free rushing LDE Sheard immediately in Alex's face with hands outstretched... AD blocked in, but didn't need to. slant to Edwards, ball dies at his feet.

4. punt

stupid Alex Smiff..
Now , no question on the next drive... on 3rd and 2, Alex straight misses Crabtree on a sideline wheel route. Just a few yards too deep.

Hey, it happens to every QB at some point, no?
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Now , no question on the next drive... on 3rd and 2, Alex straight misses Crabtree on a sideline wheel route. Just a few yards too deep.

Hey, it happens to every QB at some point, no?

Stupid Aleckz Smiff...
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Passing game just needs consistency. I know we dont get a bunch of yards but we keep on shuffling WRs around with guys coming in and going out. It was good in the first half but inconsistent in the 2nd.

Once it does get some consistency we will be a very very scary team.
Originally posted by Antix:
Passing game just needs consistency. I know we dont get a bunch of yards but we keep on shuffling WRs around with guys coming in and going out. It was good in the first half but inconsistent in the 2nd.

Once it does get some consistency we will be a very very scary team.

I agree about the consistency thing, but that is something that is still getting worked out. Just imagine how much better off we would be now if we had a full off season to do what we are having to do during the week between preparing for games. The passing game is the slowest part of the game to get synced up, it is a work in progress right now and we are still 6-1 and looking like the most complete team of any team out there. All the really good offensive teams are really bad on defense right now, which makes them a bad matchup for team like we have, the pendulum is swinging back to physical football and once again the Niners are leading the change.
  • 8to80
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by thojess:
Why no one seems to get this baffles me. The passing game is just fine. If you want to minimize mistakes, you don't throw more than you need to in order to WIN THE GAME. This isn't fantasy football. We don't get extra points for going over 200 yards passing. Sometimes I wonder if Fantasy football has rotted out peoples brains. We are owning the time of posession. We are owning the ground game. Why should we concern ourselves with passing yard totals? Joe Montana went over 4000 yards ZERO times in his career, and has one of the best winning percentages in history. Passing yards are WAY overrated by you kids these days. lol

This x INFINITY
Yes, it is so simple. I also don't understand this thread and the people who voted "yes". We DON'T NEED TO PASS 200+ YARDS every game to win. So, why would we try to start now? Our focus has always been lights out defense with a pounding run offense.

IMO, our defense is too good to find ourselves in a shootout. But, if that happens, we probably will have to pass for more than 200+ yards FOR THAT GAME. As for passing 200+ yards a game? Sure, that would be good. But passing for 50+ yards and running for 250+ yards would be more ideal for us.
The passing game is fine.

It is efficient.
As some have posted on here. Alex is doing good at QB but it takes the whole offense as a team to create drives and when players are dropping balls, not breaking tackles for (yards after catch) or are not aware that they are standing partially out of bounds when catching the ball you get punts and Field Goals and not Touchdowns. I remember one throw it was over the middle and deep against the Browns and it fell incomplete. It totally looked like the receiver did not complete his route or didn't run it correctly. I think there are those who take these incompletions and automatically with out even thinking chalk it up as a Alex Smith mistake and that he sucks. I just don't see it that way and see it as a young team growing and learning and that these receivers will get better and those passes will go from incompletes to complete very soon.
I'm not worried about it.

I'm more concerned about our team staying healthy. Just look @ the Raiders. The focus should continue to be on play calling, installing more of the play book, and keeping guys healthy. Proper execution + team effort every Sunday = 15-1.

• ttime
I'm glad Alex does not make excuses for his game as some of his fans do. I'm confident that he took responsibility for his misfires and vowed to get better. I'm also pretty sure that he did not point to passes that were dropped to excuse his misfires. He does not seem like that type of person who would blame defensive pressure for not hitting an open receiver. I have never heard him suggest that Crabtree was a lousy route runner, was playing a new position or blame Crabtree for missing training camp time due to an injury as a reason for misfiring. I don't think that Alex blamed VD for passes that he has misfired on during the season just as VD and the others do not blame Alex for passes that were dropped.

I just don't get that sort of attitude from Alex which is the reason why I like him. Instead he comes in during the bye-week to practice on his throws. Thank God that Alex, the coaching and his team mates don't make the excuses that some of his fans make. Otherwise there would b no room for improvement.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Don't know that it has to. Everything we improve from this point forward is just a bonus.
Originally posted by ttime:
I'm glad Alex does not make excuses for his game as some of his fans do. I'm confident that he took responsibility for his misfires and vowed to get better. I'm also pretty sure that he did not point to passes that were dropped to excuse his misfires. He does not seem like that type of person who would blame defensive pressure for not hitting an open receiver. I have never heard him suggest that Crabtree was a lousy route runner, was playing a new position or blame Crabtree for missing training camp time due to an injury as a reason for misfiring. I don't think that Alex blamed VD for passes that he has misfired on during the season just as VD and the others do not blame Alex for passes that were dropped.

I just don't get that sort of attitude from Alex which is the reason why I like him. Instead he comes in during the bye-week to practice on his throws. Thank God that Alex, the coaching and his team mates don't make the excuses that some of his fans make. Otherwise there would b no room for improvement.

What an odd post. Can you not understand that we as fans can't rock the boat by telling it like it is.... however, players on teams that speak out against other players' mistakes? Uhm... yes... surely you see where I am going with this.
  • ttime
Originally posted by okdkid:
Don't know that it has to. Everything we improve from this point forward is just a bonus.

I understand. They are winning. and if you think that they are running those routes that he missed simply for the exercise, then you are certainly entitled to your opinion.
  • ttime
Originally posted by oldman9er:
What an odd post. Can you not understand that we as fans can't rock the boat by telling it like it is.... however, players on teams that speak out against other players' mistakes? Uhm... yes... surely you see where I am going with this.

You certainly can tell it the way that you see it. But that does not mean that he sees it that way. In fact, the things that he consistently do suggest that he is willing to take responsibility for his performance regardless.
Share 49ersWebzone