There are 157 users in the forums

The future of Anthony Davis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Even Charles Brown (USC baby) had to step up at RT for the Saints, and has looked fantastic... Bryan Bulaga as well.

I know some of you expect more patience... but it's hard to give that considering the disturbing similarities from Kwame to AD. We are 3-1 and we have only one QB that can be remotely trusted to keep that record staying positive. An injury to the QB could easily flush our playoff hopes this year down the toilet. This is why I am so hesitant to just say "let's wait and see how he develops during live action."

It's hard to blame Davis when you have a terrible RG in Chilo starting next to you. He can't take care of his position and Chilo's. Let's see how he starts playing now that Snyder is the starter.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Boone......Boone......Boone

if you time his name in a rhythm it sounds like a good drum beat
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Even Charles Brown (USC baby) had to step up at RT for the Saints, and has looked fantastic... Bryan Bulaga as well.

I know some of you expect more patience... but it's hard to give that considering the disturbing similarities from Kwame to AD. We are 3-1 and we have only one QB that can be remotely trusted to keep that record staying positive. An injury to the QB could easily flush our playoff hopes this year down the toilet. This is why I am so hesitant to just say "let's wait and see how he develops during live action."

We have no other choice now at this point in the season. I'm sure Harbaugh will address any issues with the team given the opportunity.

I really wanted Bryan Bulaga in the draft... maybe its cuz im an Iowa fan but to me i always thought he would be good in the NFL being able to watch him while he was in college
Originally posted by NinerDieHard:
I really wanted Bryan Bulaga in the draft... maybe its cuz im an Iowa fan but to me i always thought he would be good in the NFL being able to watch him while he was in college

Yeah... liked Bulaga a lot... one more reason to despise GB.

Telling you guys... watching the Saints/Jags game right now.. It is night and day different play at RT between Charles Brown and AD.

Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
It's hard to blame Davis when you have a terrible RG in Chilo starting next to you. He can't take care of his position and Chilo's. Let's see how he starts playing now that Snyder is the starter.

Yes, but Snyder played like 95% of the RG snaps last week... and AD still couldn't do his own job. It's not the RG... though for sure, Chilo was sucking out there. Davis plays very soft and timid in pass pro, and has terrible instincts and recovery in space. Gotta move him before he gets Alex killed and our season is ruined. Move him to RG and in the offseason, we can then see if he has any usefulness.
Originally posted by frenchmov:
the problem is that boone is a very valuable backup at LT or RT. if we plug him in at RT to start, what happens when joe staley goes down?

I would rather play our best 5 for the majority of the snaps, instead of holding someone back "in case" of an injury. Start Boone at LT, Staley at RT. "If" Staley goes down, you put Davis in at RT and we're no worse than we were. "If" Boone goes down, you switch Staley back to LT and put Davis in at RT, and we're right back where we were.
after hearing about receivers breaking off routes last year, i'm willing to give each player an additional year, to get the sing mentality out of their system......

And I liked Phil Loadholt a year earlier. He was sitting there when we drafted in the second round, and the 49ers decided there was no player worth being drafted there - and traded the pick away for a first rounder the next year. A lot of fans cheered the move, excited to have two 1sts "next year" - but I thought it was a loser move for a team claiming to want to "win now". Loadholt came in and started 16 games as a rookie - and Adrian Peterson directly credited him for opening up their running game. We could have had our starting RT a year earlier, for a lot less money, and wouldn't have been starting two rookies the following season when Iupati was drafted. But hey, Anothiny Davis has "potential" right?
Originally posted by RDB4216:
And I liked Phil Loadholt a year earlier. He was sitting there when we drafted in the second round, and the 49ers decided there was no player worth being drafted there - and traded the pick away for a first rounder the next year. A lot of fans cheered the move, excited to have two 1sts "next year" - but I thought it was a loser move for a team claiming to want to "win now". Loadholt came in and started 16 games as a rookie - and Adrian Peterson directly credited him for opening up their running game. We could have had our starting RT a year earlier, for a lot less money, and wouldn't have been starting two rookies the following season when Iupati was drafted. But hey, Anothiny Davis has "potential" right?
Right...?

I watched all of Greenbays games last year (one of my best friends is a packers fan). I think Rodgers helped Bulaga out a lot last year. I think Bulaga would be having just as tough a time on our team as Davis is having. Not saying he is bad, I think he will turn out to be quite good (as I think Davis will as well).

Just throwing this out there.......

What do Bulaga and Brown have in commen?

You guessed it, elite QBs.

P.S. Was watching ESPN2 and the fantasy guys said they would take Alex Smith as the second qb in their league....

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Oct 9, 2011 at 9:09 AM ]
  • titan
  • Veteran
Staley is getting slapped around also!
The troubling thing for me is his name never seems to be mentioned as a hard worker. It is safe to say he is being taught something but is he the guy who sits in a dark room by himself studying film of his opponent? I am beginning to think talent is not the issue when high picks are slow to develop.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Just throwing this out there.......

What do Bulaga and Brown have in commen?

You guessed it, elite QBs.

Was expecting this, and expecting it from you...

The folks at Football Outsiders conduct various charting exercises to help develop more detailed information about what we see on the football field. Their latest release of information is a rundown of quarterback sacks for each team. Thanks to Ougadas for pointing it out in the Fanshots. They went through and determined how many sacks took place in the first 2.5 seconds or less of a play and how many sacks took 3 or more seconds to develop.

49ers QB Alex Smith has been sacked 14 times through four games, which is third among NFL quarterbacks. Based on FO's game-charting, two os his sacks were long sacks and eight were short sacks. That would leave four sacks in between 2.5 and 3 seconds. His eight short sacks were the most among any QB and came on 6.61% of his pass attempts plus sacks (pass attempts do not normally include pass plays ending in a sack). His two long sacks came on 1.65% of pass attempts plus sacks.

While Alex Smith has had issues in the past of holding on to the ball too long, that would not appear to be the case this season, at least with regards to sacks. It's not a perfect stat because QB pressures and QB hits that don't result in a sack are not included. However, I'd say it's still useful information. Alex Smith's short sack rate is three times the NFL average. It may not tell us everything we need to know, but I think that says something about the performance of his blockers, whether it be the line, the running backs or whatever. It's not a perfect stat, but it helps add a little context to the always popular Alex Smith discussion.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2011/10/7/2475864/49ers-alex-smith-sacks-football-outsiders
Share 49ersWebzone