There are 180 users in the forums

More evidence that our offensive line is terrible

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BrianGO:
The guy got a monster jump on the ball. What left tackle in the league does not give up these types of plays?

Except for the 10 million penalties, the whole line played very well today, both in run blocking and pass pro. Not as good as last week, but the line did a good job today.

Penalties were driving me crazy but I was pleased over all given the level of the Lions DL. Two weeks from now they will play better and I hope they continue to play more often like last week.
Our o-line is doing better then any of us thought they would at the start of the season. Did you hear suh get his name called today? Or nick fairely??? They're doing fine.
Is a somewhat casual fan, offensive line decision-making confuses me. A lot in here are pushing for Staley and Davis to switch sides, which makes me wonder why the heck they haven't. Isn't your top prospect supposed to go on the left side? Did we really draft Davis so high to play second fiddle to a mediocre LT in Staley for his whole career? What's the hold up?
Originally posted by valrod33:

WE DONT SUCK

I was not happy with him after our first offensive play came to a close.
Originally posted by GOLD22VEINS:
Our o-line is doing better then any of us thought they would at the start of the season. Did you hear suh get his name called today? Or nick fairely??? They're doing fine.
Walker was killing Suh with the assists. Those blocks sprung all those big Gore runs.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Is a somewhat casual fan, offensive line decision-making confuses me. A lot in here are pushing for Staley and Davis to switch sides, which makes me wonder why the heck they haven't. Isn't your top prospect supposed to go on the left side? Did we really draft Davis so high to play second fiddle to a mediocre LT in Staley for his whole career? What's the hold up?

Usually the more experienced vet plays left and the rookie/young guy gets his feet wet. Davis hasn't played his way to the LT position. That said, Staley played RT as a Sophmore but moved to LT as a Junior and Senior. He was a dominant LT in college, allowing no sacks as a Junior and going to the East-West Shrine Game when a Senior. Davis played RG as a Freshman and switched to LT afterward. Both guys made first team all league so they both have very good credentials. But as stated above, most teams don't want an inexperienced player on the QBs blind side.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by GOLD22VEINS:
Walker was killing Suh with the assists. Those blocks sprung all those big Gore runs.

That's what Suh gets from talking all that ish the whole week...Fool got handled today...
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
I've never seen our O-line handle a guy like Suh how we brought in a TE to block and force him inside. We're finally playing on a whole new level. That's just great coaching. Is it coming from Harbaugh or the O-line coach?? It didn't look like we had blown assignments on sacks this week either, less confusion overall. So, looking good!
Originally posted by Walsh:
I've never seen our O-line handle a guy like Suh how we brought in a TE to block and force him inside. We're finally playing on a whole new level. That's just great coaching. Is it coming from Harbaugh or the O-line coach?? It didn't look like we had blown assignments on sacks this week either, less confusion overall. So, looking good!

Harbaugh used TEs at Stanford so I would guess it is part of his overall scheme design; but, as I think Modern said, we used these plays in HS--they aren't new. When the D is very agressive it is much easier to trap them and the Wham is just a trap by the TE in motion instead of an OT or OG. Loved that play because they only had to run it once or twice to have the DL totally out of sync...hesitating rather than seek and kill mode. This really added to Smith's protection.
NOT ANYMORE!

The 49ers O-Line is dominating the run game and handling the rush. You want to change things up?

Which lineman should switch positions?!?! NOBODDDYYYY!!!
OP needs to edit his thread title...

More evidence that our OL does NOT SUCK!
Originally posted by gold49digger:
i think its time to switch staley and davis. davis just turned into a man today and he originally played LT in college and staley came into the league as a RT so it would be a smooth transition.

This.

Staley isn't a bum. He is an average NFL tackle that has been relied upon by us to play beyond his ability as a premier left tackle. Anothy Davis is far more physically gifted than Staley. We just need Davis to grow up so we can switch them. Rule #1: put your best OL at LT to protect the QBs blind side.

Unfortunatly, I don't think that Davis is quite ready to be our premier tackle. I think he is physically capable, but the mental errors are not ironed out yet. Still too many penalties. Still getting burned by schemes.

But Davis was drafted to be a premier left tackle and I think that by the end of the season he will be and we will see Staley switched to RT where he will be a better fit.
Well the line looked like they turned out well enough to win the game. I think it was great that Snyder, Davis, Walker were able to control Suh for he is a load and a half. But our Oline, just as it is, got that job done.
Amazing what a difference sitting Chilo down made.
Share 49ersWebzone