There are 215 users in the forums

What's everyone's feelings on QB rating?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What's everyone's feelings on QB rating?

It's not as reflective as BA or OB% in baseball but it gives a little look at how the qb did. Not too detailed but says . . . 1) terrible, 2) ok, or 3) great
What's important is whether or not the quarterback is "making plays". Alex Smith is making plays this year. That is what I like.

"Making plays":
- Throwing completions on the run. (i.e. the play to Hunter).
- Throwing perfect route passes and hitting the receiver in perfect stride (i.e. the sideline pass to Miller allowed him to get up field because it was perfect).
- Throwing the ball under heavy pressure. (Smith has made several good throws this season while pressure was directly in his face).
- Throwing perfect over-the-shoulder passes. (i.e. The pass to Davis against the Bengals, the pass to Kyle Williams against the Cowboys).
- Breaking tackles and extending the play, and overall buying time in the pocket. (Smith doesn't break tackles much, and his pocket presence is about average).
- "Throwing a player open" (Smith's throw to Crabtree in the back of the endzone that was taken away for no reason fits this category, but I'd like to see more of it).

Smith has done most of these things very well this season. Smith is certainly not hurting us this season, and he is making more plays that help us than he ever has. He may not be elite, but there is little to complain about with Smith this season.
Originally posted by lamontb:
I've never been big on that stat either way. I look at wins and completion percentage. Right now he's winning and has a good completion %. so as far as I'm concerned he's playing well. I don't even have clue what his rating is right now.

Don't forget turnovers, turnovers are another important stat
It's a good indicator, whether you're anti-Alex or pro-Alex.

His QB ratings have improved over his career. The last two seasons reflected a QB rating of about 80 or so.

IMO,

75 = Mediocre
80 = Average, you can win if you have a stellar cast
85 = Above-average
90+ = Great season

This seems to reflect upon Alex pretty well. He played terribly at the beginning of last season. The numbers show it, and our record shows it. Then he got a lot better for the rest of the season, but still not good enough to cover the fact that our overall team sucked. We got some wins, but not some huge turnaround.

This year, Alex has a high QB rating, and we're 3-1. Point is... QB Ratings and wins do have a good correlation, but it doesn't include lost fumbles in its calculation. Alex, his fault and the offensive line's fault, has put up a lot of fumbles. It doesn't consider 3rd down conversions. It doesn't consider plays made, or not made, with his feet. It includes scores that happened in garbage time. It's just one of many stats one should consider when assessing Alex Smith's play.

QB Ratings and Wins are the two most crucial ones though.
3 - 1 is important.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
The thing is, it wasnt JUST quarterback rating that was used against Alex in the past. It was:

- Quarterback rating
- W-L record
- Yardage
- Lack of touchdowns
- Touchdown to turnover ratio
- Completion %
(etc.)

Its funny to me how the AFC is desperately trying to throw certain things in us detractors faces, yet its been 4 games. 3.5 of which Alex played average to below average football. I have been the first detractor to admit that he has been MUCH better and I hope to see him continue to take strides in his game. I just feel like the AFC has been taking stats/plays/our record and completely blowing them out of proportion to make Alex seem great. Hes been better. He still hasnt been good-great. Half of a game does not make up for the first 3.5 games, or the last 6 years.

WTF is an AFC?

And I won't lump everyone into one category as you seem inclined to do. I just speak for myself and say this.

If the QB has a 97.7 QBR and is ranked #8 with efficient numbers... after 4 games... with the 32nd ranked pass protecting OL... the offense # 1 in penalties... starting RB averaging 3.7 yds... with starting WRs out and injured... and multiple drops per game... new HC and OC... new scheme, etc...

Blowing up stats? No... just appreciating them, considering all of the above things mentioned.

I agree with you that you have to take a look at all of the numbers in order to get a more clear view of the whole picture. Some people will just focus on what supports their arguement and totally ignore other enlightening numbers. IMHO
Originally posted by 49ERwhiner:
The thing is, it wasnt JUST quarterback rating that was used against Alex in the past. It was:

- Quarterback rating
- W-L record
- Yardage
- Lack of touchdowns
- Completion %
(etc.)

Its funny to me how the AFC is desperately trying to throw certain things in us detractors faces, yet its been 4 games. 3.5 of which Alex played average to below average football. I have been the first detractor to admit that he has been MUCH better and I hope to see him continue to take strides in his game. I just feel like the AFC has been taking stats/plays/our record and completely blowing them out of proportion to make Alex seem great. Hes been better. He still hasnt been good-great. Half of a game does not make up for the first 3.5 games, or the last 6 years.

WTF is an AFC?

And I won't lump everyone into one category as you seem inclined to do. I just speak for myself and say this.

If the QB has a 97.7 QBR and is ranked #8 with efficient numbers... after 4 games... with the 32nd ranked pass protecting OL... the offense # 1 in penalties... starting RB averaging 3.7 yds... with starting WRs out and injured... and multiple drops per game... new HC and OC... new scheme, etc...

Blowing up stats? No... just appreciating them, considering all of the above things mentioned.

I agree with you that you have to take a look at all of the numbers in order to get a more clear view of the whole picture. Some people will just focus on what supports their arguement and totally ignore other enlightening numbers. IMHO

.. and I will add to that, we are tied for 5th in the league in most team drops. ----> http://hosted.stats.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

( and I am going back to count, as I am quite sure that number is more favorable than it should be )
WTF is an AFC?

Wow, so it's pretty safe to say without Alex having such a great qbr we would have lost most of our games, considering all these other horrible circumstances.
Originally posted by 49ERwhiner:

- Quarterback rating
- W-L record
- Yardage
- Lack of touchdowns
- Completion %
(etc.)

WTF is an AFC?

.. and I will add to that, we are tied for 5th in the league in most team drops. ----> http://hosted.stats.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

( and I am going back to count, as I am quite sure that number is more favorable than it should be )

That angers me
^ if someone can clear this up for me....

Braylon gets interfered with in the end-zone (Seattle), but the flag gets picked up because they "claim" Alex was out of the pocket when throwing.

Braylon had it in one hand but couldn't get his other hand on it due to the P.I.

So do I include this as a drop while conducting my drop count?

whoops. check that. As I keep watching, this P.I. penalty was enforced.

So I guess with the enforced P.I. it would be wrong to mark this one as a drop... yeah?
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Here is NT's feeling:

When it fits my preconceived agenda, I love it.
When it refutes it, it is a load of crap.

lol, this exactly.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Here is NT's feeling:

lol, this exactly.

This may be a stretch when other people think this but when it applies to me it is totally logical!
This is the best I have ever since Alex Amith play I saw glipses a couple years ago vs houston 3 tds in 2nd half but to win on the road down 20 vs phi Alex has made me a believer if we make playoffs this year and he plays like he did vs eagles the rest of the year we need to extend his contract we have waited long time for him to look this good Jim Harbaugh WCO has Alex looking better than I ever thought he could
Here is NT's feeling:

This.
Share 49ersWebzone