LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 149 users in the forums

Alex Smith Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
We went 6-0 in the division 2 years ago, and 5-1 last year (i think) If we go 5-1 again, we are already at 8-8. If we beat TB this week we are pretty sure to go 9-7 at worst IMO.

I still stand by my early prediction of 10-6, and I did call a win over the eagles.

Loving the niners, I think after this week I can no longer call harbaugh coach harbaltary.

Originally posted by TexasNiner:
And we continue the season roughly like the first 4 games. We go say, 4-2 in the division overall and win 4 of 7 of the remaining non-divisional games.

That gives us a 10 win season and almost assuredly the division title and puts us into the playoffs. Even if we only win 3 of the 7 non-divisional games, 9-7 gives us our first winning season in years and still probably the NFC West title.

And if Alex keeps his stats somewhere around where they are now, with maybe a few more TDs, but a few more INTs as well, and finishes the season with about 18-20 TDs, 8-10 INTs and 3K+ yards......

What then?

Would that be enough to warrant a new multi-year deal for Smith? Would you trust him to be the "future" of the team and think he's made that next step? Would it make him (if he would sign) a place holder for Kap or another highly drafted QB? Would you still want a proven vet (if one was available) to take us to the next level with a "top" QB?

Rodgers for sure, Not sure yet on Edwards as he has not played enough to make a judgment on him and one game does not make a QB, les we forget he was "Alex Smith" for 2.5 quarters of that game.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Nuns:
Carlos is earning himself a very large payday. I hope he likes it in SF and wants to stay. That dude can cover.

He'd look even better with decent Safety help over the top.
I'm torn about bringing Alex back to be honest. We've gotta finish 9-7 or better PLUS get a play off win or at least hang in there in the play offs. But hey who knows...if Alex plays like he did in the 2nd half yesterday....we may finish better than 10-6 and go deep in the playoffs. Bottom line: still too early to tell.

On to the Bucs.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
I'm torn about bringing Alex back to be honest. We've gotta finish 9-7 or better PLUS get a play off win or at least hang in there in the play offs. But hey who knows...if Alex plays like he did in the 2nd half yesterday....we may finish better than 10-6 and go deep in the playoffs. Bottom line: still too early to tell.

On to the Bucs.

After being on the fence about Alex Smith, I have to say if his performance keeps up for the rest of the year, we need to re-sign him for another 3-4 years. I was just blown away by his decisions he was making in the 2nd half, he looked very poised out there. But the last time I saw him pass that good was against Houston in 2009 so I would agree with you there, its still too early.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

On to the Bucs.

After being on the fence about Alex Smith, I have to say if his performance keeps up for the rest of the year, we need to re-sign him for another 3-4 years. I was just blown away by his decisions he was making in the 2nd half, he looked very poised out there. But the last time I saw him pass that good was against Houston in 2009 so I would agree with you there, its still too early.

It is, but projecting based on his current stats and assuming some improvement overall but also a few more picks, his stat line would be somewhere in-between these two:

366 attempts, 236 completions, 64.5 completion percentage, 2,734 yards, 23 tds, 15ints, 90.8qbr

498 attempts, 293 completions, 58.8 completion percentage, 3,653 yards, 20 tds, 9ints, 87.5qbr

That first one is David Garrard, the second is Kyle Orton, both from last year.

Assuming that a similar stat line gets us 9-10 wins, a division title and either a win or at least a competitive loss in the playoffs, then is that good enough to build on for the near (2-4 years) future?

Does Smith playing a Garrard/Orton level, if it's enough for us to win, provide us an answer at QB?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Originally posted by Kolohe:

On to the Bucs.

It is, but projecting based on his current stats and assuming some improvement overall but also a few more picks, his stat line would be somewhere in-between these two:

366 attempts, 236 completions, 64.5 completion percentage, 2,734 yards, 23 tds, 15ints, 90.8qbr

498 attempts, 293 completions, 58.8 completion percentage, 3,653 yards, 20 tds, 9ints, 87.5qbr

That first one is David Garrard, the second is Kyle Orton, both from last year.

Assuming that a similar stat line gets us 9-10 wins, a division title and either a win or at least a competitive loss in the playoffs, then is that good enough to build on for the near (2-4 years) future?

Does Smith playing a Garrard/Orton level, if it's enough for us to win, provide us an answer at QB?

If Smith is somewhere in that territory, then I'd have to say yes, that warrants a 3-4 year contract. We would be stupid to let him go after a performance light that, no matter win or lose in the playoffs.
Early on i said Smith needs two things to earn a contract extension.

1. Comeback player of the year (or at least be considered). this covers a lot of statistical bases (rating, consistency)

--I don't know who else is in the running right now

2. Win the divsion. (a must!!!)

--we're up two games and just got a huge win in the toughest part of the schedule.
If he keeps improving, resigning him would be a very smart thing to do. Kap is NOT ready and needs time. Hell, if Alex keeps improving a lot of other teams will want to sign him.
Here's the thing, stats aside Alex has a different look about him. It's not something I could quantify with hard facts, but it's just the eye ball test and the gut feeling. I'll be honest I never liked Alex. Not saying I didn't support him, but I was in the Rodgers camp at draft day. And I just hated that even when things were bad, Alex never looked or felt the part of Franchise QB. I'm not even talking about his play on the field. I'm talking about his body language, his interviews, how he carried himself. I said to myself...he looks like a nice guy, but not an NFL QB. But this season man something has fundamentally changed in him.

He has a little bit more of a confident swagger, he looks comfortable not only with the offense he is running but with his coach backing him, and his teammates backing him. For the first time in his tenure here at SF he looks like a leader on the field. He doesn't look like the scared kid with happy feet, and a poor self esteem. Im not blaming him for all the past stuff, and Im still am certainly holding him accountable for not living up to his draft status. However, a better coach, putting him in a better situation, with a better playing environment has worked wonders for Alex. His body language, his poise, his apperance, it's a total 180 from what I used to see in him. It's still too early to tell, but if we can't label Harbaugh a QB guru after the job he has done with Alex so far...then no one can have that label. I'm not saying Smith will be a HOF, but he is certainly looking like he can be a viable winning NFL QB, and a leader of men.

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
If he keeps improving, resigning him would be a very smart thing to do. Kap is NOT ready and needs time. Hell, if Alex keeps improving a lot of other teams will want to sign him.

This, I said in another thread if he keeps it up for another 2-3 weeks, that there will be contract talks in the works.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
I think after this week I can no longer call harbaugh coach harbaltary.

If Alex continues to play well through the rest of the season more teams will want him. That makes him part of the trade for Luck package.
Go Niners!!!
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Thanks alot Texas. You just now jinxed Alex.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Amir:
Thanks alot Texas. You just now jinxed Alex.

You just jinxed Alex by calling it a jinx.
Share 49ersWebzone