LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 252 users in the forums

Alex Smith Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
the 2006 seattle game is like 1a and 1b
I have always thought that with a good coach Alex could be a good qb. This tough win on the road kinda reinforces that feeling with me.
That's what coaching can do for a guy. The old Alexcuse about seeing little decent coaching apart from one year with Turner, could it have been more than just an excuse?

Down to Harbaugh now. Sky's the limit.
Originally posted by English:
That's what coaching can do for a guy. The old Alexcuse about seeing little decent coaching apart from one year with Turner, could it have been more than just an excuse?

Yeah well those guys don't understand football. A young QB needs development. Not NoWin and SingleBrainCell. That's what you do if you want to destroy a QB.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by English:

Yeah well those guys don't understand football. A young QB needs development. Not NoWin and SingleBrainCell. That's what you do if you want to destroy a QB.

Damn near must have done. This guy must be really mentally tough to go through all this. Bodes well for his future.
most impressive win by far. everyone talks about how he cant put the team on his back and he definitely did that today, with a 20 point deficit at half time. harbaugh is the first head coach hes had that believes in him and actually put him in a position to succeed. hes been getting better in every game so far this year, cant wait to see him against the bucs, they dont have awesome corners like the eagles and that babbin a*****e who was in our backfield all day. Oline gets better next week and we carve them up. we see more of harbaughs offense every week so if we keep progressing like this itll be a great year for smith and the niners. were a few defensive mistakes away from being 4-0
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Great point SD, you can't just throw a 20 year old project qb to the wolves and expect anything but disaster. This season should prove to the doubters that Smith is a legit NFL qb, and as a bonus, he really seems to like being a niner. I am as excited about this team as I have been in many long years, if only the line can get it together...
And we continue the season roughly like the first 4 games. We go say, 4-2 in the division overall and win 4 of 7 of the remaining non-divisional games.

That gives us a 10 win season and almost assuredly the division title and puts us into the playoffs. Even if we only win 3 of the 7 non-divisional games, 9-7 gives us our first winning season in years and still probably the NFC West title.

And if Alex keeps his stats somewhere around where they are now, with maybe a few more TDs, but a few more INTs as well, and finishes the season with about 18-20 TDs, 8-10 INTs and 3K+ yards......

What then?

Would that be enough to warrant a new multi-year deal for Smith? Would you trust him to be the "future" of the team and think he's made that next step? Would it make him (if he would sign) a place holder for Kap or another highly drafted QB? Would you still want a proven vet (if one was available) to take us to the next level with a "top" QB?
Yes, lock up Alex, Carlos, and probably Edwards
Originally posted by MSteitz468:

No probably about it. Lock up all three.

Originally posted by MSteitz468:

yeah if alex keeps performing sign him, i like what im seeing from rogers too..i think thats 2 picks in the last 2 games. and edwards i have always liked him, sign them all!

CHAMPIONSHIP!!!
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Carlos is earning himself a very large payday. I hope he likes it in SF and wants to stay. That dude can cover.
I've felt all along that if Smith made the improvements we expected under Harbaugh and we made the playoffs then re-signing him would be a no-brainer. Kaep won't be ready next year, IMO, which mean we'd be going to the scrap-heap looking for another stop-gap QB. We're already polishing the scrap we have, might as well keep it.
everyone loves Alex Smith now!!!!!

never thought I'de live to see this on NT. What a great day it is.
We went 6-0 in the division 2 years ago, and 5-1 last year (i think) If we go 5-1 again, we are already at 8-8. If we beat TB this week we are pretty sure to go 9-7 at worst IMO.

I still stand by my early prediction of 10-6, and I did call a win over the eagles.

Loving the niners, I think after this week I can no longer call harbaugh coach harbaltary.
Share 49ersWebzone