LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

Alex Smith Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Amir:
Thanks alot Texas. You just now jinxed Alex.

You just jinxed Alex by calling it a jinx.

Now you just jinxed the Alex jinx but calling it a jinx. We're good now.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I think it would still take Kap a good 3 years before he's ready to start. So, I have no problem giving Smith, if he continues his good play, a 3 yr deal.
I have NEVER been an Alex supporter, but I am really pleasantly surprised this year. His flashes of competence have sustained into a more consistent form. I was cautiously optimistic that "the QB guru" could turn this good kid's career around, but not like this, not this soon, and especially not without an off-season program to really coach him. I was discussing this very topic with one of my buddies this morning and my opinion is that we only extend him for another 1, max 2 year contract if he continues to improve. I know that is just day dreaming because Smith would want more, but my opinion and lack of trust is based on what we have seen from him in the past.
Alex Smith is now + on his career td/int ratio and his rating keeps moving up
Originally posted by verb1der:
everyone loves Alex Smith now!!!!!

never thought I'de live to see this on NT. What a great day it is.

I love any player and coach that makes MY team better. Period.
Originally posted by FlyingBrian:
If Alex continues to play well through the rest of the season more teams will want him. That makes him part of the trade for Luck package.
Go Niners!!!

You cant trade a player that doesn't belong to the team.
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
Alex Smith is now + on his career td/int ratio and his rating keeps moving up

Re-sign him now or we lose him to Minnesota or Miami next year when Singletary and Nolan assume permanent HC duties with each team.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
It is, but projecting based on his current stats and assuming some improvement overall but also a few more picks, his stat line would be somewhere in-between these two:

366 attempts, 236 completions, 64.5 completion percentage, 2,734 yards, 23 tds, 15ints, 90.8qbr

498 attempts, 293 completions, 58.8 completion percentage, 3,653 yards, 20 tds, 9ints, 87.5qbr

That first one is David Garrard, the second is Kyle Orton, both from last year.

Assuming that a similar stat line gets us 9-10 wins, a division title and either a win or at least a competitive loss in the playoffs, then is that good enough to build on for the near (2-4 years) future?

Does Smith playing a Garrard/Orton level, if it's enough for us to win, provide us an answer at QB?

If Smith puts up Garrard/Orton numbers then that puts him in the middle of the pack QB-wise. That should be enough to warrant an extension given that Kaep is a project, there won't be any free agent QBs any better than Smith, and drafting another rookie would be a step back for this team given that the defense is built to win now and we lack a deep, play-making receiver corp. that would be needed to offset the growing pains of an inexperienced QB. Bottom line - if Smith makes the playoffs he will be back next year.
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
Re-sign him now or we lose him to Minnesota or Miami next year when Singletary and Nolan assume permanent HC duties with each team.

Sorry my sarcasm detector is malfunctioning so I'mseriously about to ask you the following questions: Are you serious? Do you really think AS would go play for those guys ever again for any amount of money?

You know, I used to be a serious chess player at one time, and I read in one of my books that the fastest way to improve is to work on your weaknesses. It is such a simple concept and yet our last three coaches did not understand this or could not convey this into applicable knowledge. Coach Harbaugh and the rest of our staff appears to understand this concept. We already knew he was a film junky and apparently, understands what he's looking at when he's pouring over video feed.

This is exactly what Alex and the team needed - a coach that is never satisfied with just OK. A coach who pays attention to detail.

Sing is the last person Alex wants to play for. I wouldn't sign him now. We have to see how this plays out. Alex is a smart guy, you can already see that he loves playing for Harbaugh. We will have no problem signing Alex because he is a high character guy who is loyal to the Niners.
Originally posted by MSteitz468:
Yes, lock up Alex, Carlos, and probably Edwards

Exactly this...IF and that is a big if, just because it is too early in the season to rubber stamp anyone as a keeper, we keep trending up as we are right now you have to keep everybody you can in the name of conistancy and getting better. You cannot throw away good talent when a team is on the rise, you have to keep all you can and hope to add more.

Alex stays - Kaep and Tolzien are anyones guess as to what we have in them and nobody will be available that is so much better as to be worth big free agent money.

Carlos - He is proving to be everything we could want for his cost and more - try to keep him at a solid number and draft his replacement for the future, who if you are lucky pushes Spencer for the starting gig year one.

Edwards - Ideally he comes back and plays to the level he is capable. I really like the idea of him and Crabtree as starters for a few years with the other guys as complementary players....plus if he stays WR is not a position of need in the draft.

I would add to this list

Goldson - If I see more of what he displayed yesterday we cant let him walk away for free. The hits and the tackling alone are worth a long term deal....as long as he doesnt go thinking he is worth top five at his position money again.

If we could manage to hold on to all of these guys then you can really go anywhere in the draft you want with no serious holes to fill....every guy would be best player available rather then postion of need with the exception of maybe corner and some more options for the o-line.

Again this is all speculation assuming everyone on the team keeps trending upward as they have...any of these guys could regress instead of improve going forward.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

After 4 weeks of football, too early, we've got 13 more weeks to re-evaluate his position, and we could always franchise him.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kolohe:

After 4 weeks of football, too early, we've got 13 more weeks to re-evaluate his position, and we could always franchise him.

this.
Share 49ersWebzone