Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 736 users in the forums

Justin Smith, one of the all-time best 49er defensive linemen appreciation thread.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 170,762
adios cowboy thanks for the memories.

Mannnnnn
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 13,926
He already delayed his retirement cos he saw hope and wanted to win a ring before he hangs it up. Honestly, the travesty of this Harbaugh Era is we never won that Super Bowl. 2012 was our calling and the best window to date and we blew it.

Put yourself in Cowboy's shoes (or boots), Harbaugh has gone, don't know who the next head coach is, Frank might be gone, QB is playing crap (or has many question marks), Ray McDonald has gone, Bo's injury status is unclear, etc, etc. Then, you add on his age and the toll on his body, is just not worth it. Frankly, noone knows when the 9ers will be able to turn around from this point, it could even get worse before it gets better for all we know.

Our window is closed for now and there just isn't anything for Cowboy to hang his hopes on to may be play for another year or two.

Just a shame really. I really wanted Justin to get a ring before he retires. We were so close and yet so far, just too bad.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,735
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
This One Hurts BIGTIME if it is true and he's retiring. No Justin, No Ray Mac, Aldon being a screwball at times, this DLINE needs minimum 3 new quality additions to even have a chance at a decent defense.

Why? Dial is going to be a VERY active LDE (and now has experience at NT) and Tank at RDE and we will have TWO healthy NT's Williams and Dorsey. Plus we'll have TJE and Ramsey in the mix. I'm sure we'll draft one but we're not in panic mode at all here and may actually see some youth and vitality along the DL next year.

I think it hurts because Justin always saw double teams, so that freed up a guy like Aldon to get to the QB. Other than that, I expect a draftee or 2 to compete, hopefully Dial, Tank, and Ian/Dorsey are good enough for 2015, we need them to be ready if Justin does retire.

Yeah opponents needed to scheme for Justin and Aldon. If Justin retires, I don't know that Aldon still becomes affective.
Originally posted by Baldie:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
This One Hurts BIGTIME if it is true and he's retiring. No Justin, No Ray Mac, Aldon being a screwball at times, this DLINE needs minimum 3 new quality additions to even have a chance at a decent defense.

Why? Dial is going to be a VERY active LDE (and now has experience at NT) and Tank at RDE and we will have TWO healthy NT's Williams and Dorsey. Plus we'll have TJE and Ramsey in the mix. I'm sure we'll draft one but we're not in panic mode at all here and may actually see some youth and vitality along the DL next year.

I think it hurts because Justin always saw double teams, so that freed up a guy like Aldon to get to the QB. Other than that, I expect a draftee or 2 to compete, hopefully Dial, Tank, and Ian/Dorsey are good enough for 2015, we need them to be ready if Justin does retire.

Yeah opponents needed to scheme for Justin and Aldon. If Justin retires, I don't know that Aldon still becomes affective.

Aldon hasn't done much of anything behind Smith THIS year...Smith has dropped off his play as has Aldon. The guy who's been becoming more active each week is Tank. Now, I doubt anyone is going to ever play UP to Smith's glory days but as long as Dial and Tank can be very active and disruptive, Lynch and Aldon will get theirs as well. And let's not underestimate the stability and top-level play of Dorsey/Williams compared to Dial (who's done a good job esp. for his height) at NT. That NT spot really opens everything else up for the DE/OLB pass rush and ILB's on pass rush and in the run game.

I love Smith and I'd love for him to stay and split time ala Gore/Hyde but he, himself, said, he's not a limited playing time guy. He plays FT or none at all. And I think he knows it's time to move on.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Rebuild? WTH?

We may have a complete turnover of our WRs, starting TE. maybe the entire starting DL, and probably at least one interior offensive lineman, and maybe the best RB this franchise has seen in 40+ years. Even more than player personnel issues on an aging roster, the front office and coaching staff must make changes. This team was so dysfunctional all off-season, it is no surprise the team struggled.

To me, this is a rebuild, not a retool. We are not simply shifting out two or three starters and keeping the rest of the team intact. This team will look strikingly different next year, from those running the team to the product that puts on the jersey. Can we still compete? Sure. But, this is a tough division in a tough conference, and we probably escaped last place this year based on the Rams' having a 555 year old dinosaur taking snaps instead on Bradford (who stinks, but not as badly as their backups).

Current Offensive Personnel: (Expected Changes)
QB: Colin Kaepernick; Blaine Gabbert & Josh Johnson (I do expect the new HC/OC to draft a 2nd day development QB here and we may look to retain a veteran such as Gabbert if we decide to run a WCO again).
RB: Frank Gore; Carlos Hyde, Alfonso Smith & Kendall Hunter (I expect Frank to be back but if not, a top notch RB can be drafted in the 2nd and 3rd rounds like Hyde this year)
H-Back: Derek Carrier
TE: Vernon Davis; Vance McDonald & Garrett Celek (VD could be cut for being a p***y and 1/2-assing it all year and pouting but McDonald/Celek could be the ideal WCO TE; I could see some depth added here)
FB: Bruce Miller; Trey Millard
X: Anquan Boldin; Brandon Lloyd, Bruce Ellington & Chuck Jacobs (Other than Llyod/Jacobs, no changes here...additional talent may be added)
Y (SLOT): Stevie Johnson; Quinton Patton
Z: Michael Crabtree; Kassim Osgood (Top-flight WR will most likely be brought in here once Crabtree takes off - production was poor this year anyhow)
LOT: Joe Staley & Luke Marquardt
ROT: Anthony Davis; Jonathan Martin & Fou Fonoti (Will bring in a top-tier T here and may consider Boone for T going forward)
LG: Mike Iupati; Brandon Thomas (M.Martin, Looney and Thomas will compete here and we'll also draft more top-tier depth)
RG: Alex Boone; Joe Looney
C: Marcus Martin; Dillon Farrell & Daniel Kilgore

Current Defensive Personnel:
RDE: Justin Smith; Tank Carradine (Tank has increased his PT over the past several weeks and is making an impact)
LDE: Tony Jerrod-Eddie & Kaleb Ramsey (McDonald is history and this position may be a target in FA and the draft but Dial is slated to be the LDE now that Dorsey/Williams are healthy at NT)
NT: Quinton Dial; Glenn Dorsey & Ian Williams
WILL: Aldon Smith; Dan Skuta & Corey Lemonier (You can never have too many pass rushers)
SAM: Ahmad Brooks; Aaron Lynch & Chase Thomas (Brooks "could restructure down" for a PT role but I doubt it but Lynch has already taken over and will be able to train in the off season as the known starter)
MIKE: Chris Borland; Nick Moody & Patrick Willis
TED: Michael Wilhoite; Navarro Bowman & Shayne Skov
RCB: Chris Culliver; Leon McFadden & Keith Reaser (An embarrssment of riches here where even McFadden has made a terrific case for being retained but we'll probably target a top or second-tier CB as well for competition; we'll probably resign either Culliver or Cox to a 4 year $16M+ contract ala Brock. Cook will probably be retained as well as he is a top-notch ST ace as well and adds quality depth)
LCB: Tramaine Brock; Dontae Johnson, Chris Cook & Kenneth Acker
SLOT/NICKLE: Perrish Cox & Jimmie Ward
FS: Eric Reid; Craig Dahl & Bubba Ventrone (Dahl and his contract saving will be a guranateed cut!)
SS: Antoine Bethea; L.J. McCray

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/180583-time-retool-ndash-2015-outlook/#1CLSKTrmibSYI4ZY.99

So, it could be our operational definition of "rebuild" but to me, this is merely, a retool and nothing more.

Granted, the new offensive system will be the "rebuild" part but not many players, for the most part.
On Sunday, I read that Alex Flanagan was reporting Justin Smith would likely retire at the end of this season. I then read he declined any interviews on Sunday and said he would address it on Monday. Here it is Tuesday and still nothing. Any idea what's going on? Anybody heard anything? I can't seem to come across anything as it relates to his impending retirement.

Me hopes Pat Willis and Navarro Bowman talked him out of it and at least he's reconsidering. Here's to wishful thinking.
My guess is he's waiting to see if Fangio is sticking around (either as HC or remaining as DC). I bet he retires if Fangio leaves.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 13,137
Justin Smith can take all the time in the world to make his decision.

He has earned that and much much more.

I hope he returns, but if he doesn't I will remember him fondly for as long as I live.

Originally posted by captveg:
My guess is he's waiting to see if Fangio is sticking around (either as HC or remaining as DC). I bet he retires if Fangio leaves.

Agreed. He'll come back for Fangio because Fangio gets it.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Agreed. He'll come back for Fangio because Fangio gets it.

HELL YEAH . I HOPE HE DOES
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 65,216
Thanks, Cowboy.
I agree with madddogg. When you bring in a new regime, its a rebuild.

New schemes, new plays, new system, new players.

Plus a lot of the core is wounded or on their way out.
Originally posted by amosmac28:
On Sunday, I read that Alex Flanagan was reporting Justin Smith would likely retire at the end of this season. I then read he declined any interviews on Sunday and said he would address it on Monday. Here it is Tuesday and still nothing. Any idea what's going on? Anybody heard anything? I can't seem to come across anything as it relates to his impending retirement.

Me hopes Pat Willis and Navarro Bowman talked him out of it and at least he's reconsidering. Here's to wishful thinking.

I saw that too but obviously, there is time to convince him to come back esp. if he sees the FO make some positive changes on the offensive side of the ball = chnace at a Superbowl run.

That said, I'm perfectly fine either way. I have confident in Tank and Dial right now playing their end-spots FT now, along with depth of Ramsey and TJE and Okoye plus whoever we target in FA and the draft along with a healthy Dorsey and Williams (who can play outside as needed). With 5 OL vs. 3 DL, there will always be a double team and Dial and Tank got a ton of snaps this year and we can expect some big growth in year 2 (basically), like always.
Originally posted by 4everFaithful:
1. Bryant Young
2. Justin Smith

WRONG!

1- Leo Nomellini
2- Bryant Young
3- Justin Smith
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone