LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

The OFFICIAL Scott Tolzien Time Traveling Delorean of TRIUMPH!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Man I am even more down on Tolzein. I'll take a guy who get's rid of the ball on time and accurately all day (Brady, Montana) over the runner. We have running backs and receivers who can run the ball. I would much rather have him as the two. At the end of the day though. Josh Johnson is really going to have to show me something if I were the guy making cuts.
[ Edited by VA49er on Aug 10, 2012 at 10:19 PM ]
For the second time in a game they both played, Tolzien has lookwed markedly better than Kaep. There's really no comparison. Is Kaep the more physically gifted? Yes. Is Tolzien the better QB? Yes. He's smart, poised, accurate, has a quicker release and yes, his arm is plenty strong enough. Some of those passes were bullets.
And you can't really blame that int on him. His pocket collapsed around him and his arm got hit. In fact, he made most of his completions under some type of duress. It's too bad that Kaep's draft position may play a part in who backs up Alex. Right now, it should be Tolzien! He looked like he belonged under center, whereas Kaep looked like a guy still learning how to be an NFL QB. Too soon to judge Johnson.
Remember kiddies, Harbaugh wanted this guy just as much as he had wanted Kaep. We had an 'inside hook' through Geep Chryst's brother, Paul, who was (at the time) Wisconsin/Tolzien's offensive coordinator (who also ran a WC-system).

We were actually gonna draft this guy in the later rounds in 2011, but let him slip into UDFA thinking we could easily 'scoop him up' the moment the CBA was settled... but Scott at the time ended up picking SD over 'us' because he felt he had a better shot at being a backup QB in San Diego (since we had drafted Kaep days previous).

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/49ers-sign-rookie-quarterback-Scott-Tolzien-2310718.php

Paul Chryst, the brother of 49ers quarterbacks coach Geep Chryst, was Tolzien's offensive coordinator during his four-year career at Wisconsin and presumably offered a glowing scouting report on his protege.

According to Tolzien's agent, Joe Panos, Geep Chryst contacted Tolzien before the draft, during the draft and after the lockout ended. Panos said Tolzien made a "gut-wrenching decision" to rebuff San Francisco and sign with San Diego, which did not draft a quarterback in April.
Originally posted by boast:
he has a quicker release and has more zip in his throws. people need to stop with this comparison.

+1. I couldn't believe it when I first heard this comparison earlier today. I'll be curious to see how Tolzien does on the road during these next two games.
He's the future of this franchise.
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
i'm in. just ordered my jersey.

LMFAO oh man CLASSIC
Originally posted by toeshawn:
Why wasn't he drafted?

why did Tom Brady get drafted in the 6th rd? not comparing the two. jus saying'.

Kurt Warner
If I were making up a depth chart based based on the first preseason game alone, it would look like this: Tolzein, Smith, Kaep and then Johnson. But that would be silly, and a poor way to run a football team. I'm looking forward to the rest of the month and what Scott has to show us, The guy looks like a real QB, and the Shaun Hill comparisons have to stop, his arm is surprisingly strong, a couple throws tonight were on a rope. Johnson lost his job tonight, no doubt about it, and Kaep better be looking over his shoulder.
Originally posted by AkNiners:
If I were making up a depth chart based based on the first preseason game alone, it would look like this: Tolzein, Smith, Kaep and then Johnson. But that would be silly, and a poor way to run a football team. I'm looking forward to the rest of the month and what Scott has to show us, The guy looks like a real QB, and the Shaun Hill comparisons have to stop, his arm is surprisingly strong, a couple throws tonight were on a rope. Johnson lost his job tonight, no doubt about it, and Kaep better be looking over his shoulder.

Completely agree with that order. In this single preseason game, Tolzein looked like the best of the bunch. Not sure why Tolzien is only compared with Kaep. Kaep had to run the QB option most of the time, they started to give him some more opportunities in the pocket, but then the quarter ended. Only so much game time to go around.
We should retire his number now so we dont need to do a ceremony for it in like 12 years.

Like I've kept saying, J.Johnson won't make the team. Ray Ratto and all the other so called "experts", "scribes" think Tolzien is odd man out but they're wrong. Tolzien is similar to Andy Dalton in a way.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Like I've kept saying, J.Johnson won't make the team. Ray Ratto and all the other so called "experts", "scribes" think Tolzien is odd man out but they're wrong. Tolzien is similar to Andy Dalton in a way.

Ray Ratto is a fat piece of sh.t. Not funny and just spews garbage. F ing hate that ugly sweater wearing blow hard
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
i'm getting this printed on a life size velvet canvas.

You guys have no clue what you're talking about. Tolzein looks good against 3rd and 4th stringers just like last year in San Diego. Kaep scored 10 pts against at least 2nd stringers. Tolzein couldn't score against the the leftover scrubs of the Vikings. I smell another Nate Davis, JTO, Shaun Hill. Happy birthday JTO, ha!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone