LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 274 users in the forums

Is RB Anthony Dixon on the hot seat?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is RB Anthony Dixon on the hot seat?

Dixon should be worry with the way Hunter has been running the ball in the preseason.
if they can get it into Dixon's head that he is a 240+ pound back, he could be used for short yardage situations.
i dont care if dixon dances so long as he is effective...
he should make the team but he has to quit dancing and just run.
I say he will be on the hot seat if kendall outproduces him in the regular season
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Dixon is fine. He's not going to go from competing for the #2 spot to being off the team entirely. He's a talented back and has shown that he can make some plays. He was a sixth round draft pick and just needs some time to figure out his weight to style ratio. Maybe he just needs to lose weight in order to maximize his shiftiness.

So was Omon and he had an insanely more productive college career and has more experience in NFL. Unless Dixon gets his happy feet under control and drops his weight down to the 230s like it should be I would rather have Omon.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
We just dumped last years second rounder. Theres no way we cut last years 3rd rounder too. He'll just move down the depth chart.

Dixon was not a third round pick. He was the first of our two second rounds picks in the 2010 draft.

I think Dixon should be on the hot seat, but he might not be. He danced too much last year.

He put on weight this year, but he continues to dance.

He was shifty in college. He wants to be shifty in the NFL. It is not working.

He reminds me of Barlow.

On the other hand, if he stays on the squad, and it looks like he will, I will not be upset.

Maybe, he will improve his game, and that would be nice.
[ Edited by buck on Sep 1, 2011 at 6:22 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:
Dixon was not a third round pick. He was the first of our two second rounds picks in the 2010 draft.

I think Dixon should be on the hot seat, but he might not be. He danced too much last year.

He put on weight this year, but he continues to dance.

He was shifty in college. He wants to be shifty in the NFL. It is not working.

He reminds me of Barlow.

On the other hand, if he stays on the squad, and it looks like he will, I will not be upset.

Maybe, he will improve his game, and that would be nice.

Wait what? Wasn't Dixon a 6th rounder?
I think Mr. X would be a good addition to the team. Dixon has his problems but he can play.

Originally posted by sfout:
Dixon is fine. He's not going to go from competing for the #2 spot to being off the team entirely. He's a talented back and has shown that he can make some plays. He was a sixth round draft pick and just needs some time to figure out his weight to style ratio. Maybe he just needs to lose weight in order to maximize his shiftiness.

So was Omon and he had an insanely more productive college career and has more experience in NFL. Unless Dixon gets his happy feet under control and drops his weight down to the 230s like it should be I would rather have Omon.

Omon has been on 4 teams in 4 years. He's looked great against guys who are going to be selling cars next week.
Originally posted by sfout:

Omon has been on 4 teams in 4 years. He's looked great against guys who are going to be selling cars next week.

Wow. Anyone that thinks Omon is better than Dixon clearly does not possess in-depth knowledge of both players. Dixon came out of the SEC and was a HECK of a player there. Omon played in DII where guys like Joique Bell (battling for 3rd-string spot on the Saints) can rush for 2000+ yards and nearly 30 TDs and still not make it further than an NFL practice squad.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by quicksilvr:
.This. I don't understand what the deal is. The guy was a ROOKIE last year. He was picked in the SIXTH round. Gee whiz, people. Give the guy a freaking chance. He's way, WAY better than Omon, and Omon's in his 4th year. Dixon has power that he can use if he chooses too. Just watch some of his games from college where he was dragging tacklers 10-20 yards down the field en route to a TD. His problem is, being a big back, he doesn't think he can fit in the holes and so he tries to bounce it outside.
Quote:
He has exceptional mobility for a big man and is a great #3 who makes a nice 1-2-3 punch with Gore's all-around attack and Hunter's speed. I am super surprised people are acting like he's been around forever and is some awful player. Give him a chance. Geez.

Agreed with everything except the way WAY better than Omon part. Omon is faster and has better vision. You don't put up 7000 yards and 98 touchdowns in college (at any level) and be mediocre. Omon is a better true RB than Dixon. Better size, better speed, better vision, better hands.

BTW, the only player that put up those kind of numbers the same time Omon did was a little guy named Danny Woodhead. And he played in an even weaker conference. Look what he's doing now for the Patriots.

That's simply not true. You could argue even that Joique Bell is as good or better. Bell -- who is battling for a spot with the Saints -- came from Division II playing for Wayne State and crushed Omon's numbers. Bell rushed for 2065 yards and 22 TDs as a freshman and 2084 yards and 29 touchdowns as senior year en route to capturing the Harlon Hill Trophy. He rushed for 6800 yards and had 100 total TDs in his career.

Now, as you mentioned, Omon played for Division II Northwest Missouri State and put up those numbers. Anthony Dixon played in the SEC against arguably the toughest defenses in the nation and rushed for 4000 yards in his career with 46 Total TDs.

Those DII abilities do not always transfer to the NFL. There are plenty of small-school RB's who put up huge numbers who come to the NFL and don't do much. Woodhead is a great success story, but there are many like him who haven't done anything -- like Omon, who in his 4th year has yet to be anything more than a practice squad player or 3rd RB at best in the NFL.
Exactly how is less total yardage and 2 more TD's "crushing" Omon's numbers? lol.

Wow. Anyone that thinks Omon is better than Dixon clearly does not possess in-depth knowledge of both players. Dixon came out of the SEC and was a HECK of a player there. Omon played in DII where guys like Joique Bell (battling for 3rd-string spot on the Saints) can rush for 2000+ yards and nearly 30 TDs and still not make it further than an NFL practice squad.

Woodhead is a great success story because he was given a chance. If the Pat's didn't give him a chance, he'd be lumped right in with Bell and Omon. The wrong thinking is to say that their talent doesn't transfer to the NFL because they played at a small school. The truth is that they have MORE talent than a lot of D1 running backs that are starters in the NFL. But they were drafted low, or not at all. Then they come in fighting for that 3rd or 4th spot from the word go, because the starters aren't going anywhere. Then they get bounced from team to team. Bell could start or be a VERY good #2 for any team in the NFL. So could Omon. It simply about how the cards fall, and where you end up.

BTW, Dixon's not a bad RB. I just think Omon has better moves, and is more athletic, with better hands.
Dixon is obviously not on the hotseat. He played in the 1st quarter tonight....Omon has yet to see the field.
Dixon played well because the o line played well... just like a lot or RBs.
Share 49ersWebzone