LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 313 users in the forums

2011 Schedule Analysis and Predictions

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Sincerely hope that I am wrong, but I have consistently been too optomistic in my forecasts over the last 8 years.

I'm forecasting a 3-13 record in 2011. Two of the wins will come early. Alex Smith will not physically survive beyond Game 6 (Lions with Ndamakung Suh) due to a catastrophic pass protection breakdown in the OL. Kaepernick and Tolzien will both see considerable PT, once Smith goes down, over the remainder of the season. The defense and/or ST will steal a third win somewhere later in the season. The club will know where it stands with its young QB's by season end, although the forced, accelerated, learning curve will be painful to watch. The offense with either rookie, Kaepernick or Tolzien, at the controls would be fortunate to score more than 10 poiints per game.

Walsh went 2-14 in his first season. Jimmy Johnson went 1-15 in his first season. I'm not saying that the club will tank the season and go for Luck in the draft. I am saying that the QB position is so thin and the OL so unstable in pass protection, that Harbaugh is going to learn some harsh lessons about how the NFL penalizes teams, who are thin at QB.

The future will get better quickly, but 2011 will be yet another year to try the Faithfuls' patience.

Like I said, I hope that my crystal ball is lame.

lol 5 games in the season and you are already wrong.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
1 Sun, Sept. 11 vs. Seattle Seahawks - WIN (1-0)
2 Sun, Sept. 18 vs. Dallas Cowboys - LOSS (1-1)
3 Sun, Sept. 25 at Cincinnati Bengals - WIN (2-1)
4 Sun, Oct. 2 at Philadelphia Eagles - WIN (3-1)
5 Sun, Oct. 9 vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - WIN (4-1)

Taking another look after the Bucs win I really like our chances for 10 wins. All we need to do is finish 6-5 and I think it's more than doable.

6 Sun, Oct. 16 at Detroit Lions - LOSS (4-2) I think we'll play well, but won' get the upset.
7 Bye
8 Sun, Oct. 30 vs. Cleveland Browns - WIN (5-2) Hopefully Braylon and Soap will be ready to roll, but we should be fine without them.
9 Sun, Nov. 6 at Washington Redskins - LOSS (5-3) I think the NFC East is overrated, but our non-division road dominance will end in this game.
10 Sun, Nov. 13 vs. New York Giants - WIN (6-3) We demonstrate how the NFC East is overrated.
11 Sun, Nov. 20 vs. Arizona Cardinals - WIN (7-3) Back to the division. We show the Cards how much things have changed here.
12 Thu, Nov. 24 at Baltimore Ravens - LOSS (7-4) Short week, long haul, better team . . . long odds. I just want to be competitive . . . very competetive.
13 Sun, Dec. 4 vs. St. Louis Rams - WIN (8-4) Smack down time for the Rams. I think we'll be approaching the division title.
14 Sun, Dec. 11 at Arizona Cardinals - WIN (9-4) I think 9 wins will clinch the division and they celebrate in Glendale.
15 Mon, Dec. 19 vs. Pittsburgh Steelers - LOSS (9-5) I have a feeling Pittsburgh will need this one more than us.
16 Sat, Dec. 24 at Seattle Seahawks - WIN (10-5) We get 10 wins on Seattle's home turf.
17 Sun, Jan. 1 at St. Louis Rams - LOSS (10-6) We rest regulars and the Rams pull out a moral victory.

I would just like to point out that you have us losing all our games remaining against good teams. If we lose to the Lions, Redskins, Ravens and Steelers, then were really no better than what our critics are saying about us.

Fact is, if we are legit, we need to win a few of those.

I think we are better than a 'wins against bad teams - loses to good teams' team. Prognostication is tough but I say we win 2 of those (and lose 1 game against lesser competition) to bring us to 11 wins.
Right now--and my opinion is skewed because we are coming off an absolutely perfect game--I don't think there's any team we can't beat. Not saying we'll go undefeated, obviously, just saying that, before the season, there were a lot of games that I thought, "No way we'll win that." I don't really feel that way now.
11-5
I think we can def beat the lions...uncle carlos has been playing great...the team will force them to throw to CJ and you know goldson will make him pay...

I think we can beat the steelers too...they almost lost to the manningless colts and frankly dont scary me i also think flacco isnt that good we could beat the ravens .

Bottom line the team that played yesterday can beat any team we face...But to predict our record and say 11-5 means we had a game or 4 that we didn't execute and that could come to any of those b+ teams
We beat the Rams in week 17 because we will be playing for a BYE.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Right now--and my opinion is skewed because we are coming off an absolutely perfect game--I don't think there's any team we can't beat. Not saying we'll go undefeated, obviously, just saying that, before the season, there were a lot of games that I thought, "No way we'll win that." I don't really feel that way now.

Other than the Steelers, Ravens, and Lions..no one else really worries me.

Giants can be trouble as always.

Redskins aren't that bad as I thought.

We SHOULD sweep our division no problem.

Honestly...11-5 really isn't OUT of the realm of possibility. We could lose to the Lions, Steelers, Ravens, and Giants and win the rest and there you go...11-5.
When's the last time we had a 3 game win streak?
Originally posted by nannite:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
1 Sun, Sept. 11 vs. Seattle Seahawks - WIN (1-0)
2 Sun, Sept. 18 vs. Dallas Cowboys - LOSS (1-1)
3 Sun, Sept. 25 at Cincinnati Bengals - WIN (2-1)
4 Sun, Oct. 2 at Philadelphia Eagles - WIN (3-1)
5 Sun, Oct. 9 vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - WIN (4-1)

Taking another look after the Bucs win I really like our chances for 10 wins. All we need to do is finish 6-5 and I think it's more than doable.

6 Sun, Oct. 16 at Detroit Lions - LOSS (4-2) I think we'll play well, but won' get the upset.
7 Bye
8 Sun, Oct. 30 vs. Cleveland Browns - WIN (5-2) Hopefully Braylon and Soap will be ready to roll, but we should be fine without them.
9 Sun, Nov. 6 at Washington Redskins - LOSS (5-3) I think the NFC East is overrated, but our non-division road dominance will end in this game.
10 Sun, Nov. 13 vs. New York Giants - WIN (6-3) We demonstrate how the NFC East is overrated.
11 Sun, Nov. 20 vs. Arizona Cardinals - WIN (7-3) Back to the division. We show the Cards how much things have changed here.
12 Thu, Nov. 24 at Baltimore Ravens - LOSS (7-4) Short week, long haul, better team . . . long odds. I just want to be competitive . . . very competetive.
13 Sun, Dec. 4 vs. St. Louis Rams - WIN (8-4) Smack down time for the Rams. I think we'll be approaching the division title.
14 Sun, Dec. 11 at Arizona Cardinals - WIN (9-4) I think 9 wins will clinch the division and they celebrate in Glendale.
15 Mon, Dec. 19 vs. Pittsburgh Steelers - LOSS (9-5) I have a feeling Pittsburgh will need this one more than us.
16 Sat, Dec. 24 at Seattle Seahawks - WIN (10-5) We get 10 wins on Seattle's home turf.
17 Sun, Jan. 1 at St. Louis Rams - LOSS (10-6) We rest regulars and the Rams pull out a moral victory.

I would just like to point out that you have us losing all our games remaining against good teams. If we lose to the Lions, Redskins, Ravens and Steelers, then were really no better than what our critics are saying about us.

Fact is, if we are legit, we need to win a few of those.

I think we are better than a 'wins against bad teams - loses to good teams' team. Prognostication is tough but I say we win 2 of those (and lose 1 game against lesser competition) to bring us to 11 wins.

Yeah, after watching the team yesterday I truly believe we can hang with any team in the NFL. I was just mapping out a plausible road to a ten win season which looked like a pipe dream just two weeks ago. Based on where we sit right now anything less than 10 wins will be a disappointment.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
When's the last time we had a 3 game win streak?

2006 or 2007 I think.

Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

Other than the Steelers, Ravens, and Lions..no one else really worries me.

Giants can be trouble as always.

Redskins aren't that bad as I thought.

We SHOULD sweep our division no problem.

Honestly...11-5 really isn't OUT of the realm of possibility. We could lose to the Lions, Steelers, Ravens, and Giants and win the rest and there you go...11-5.

I think that's very doable. And I agree, its PIT, DET, and BAL that are going to be the hardest games. I also think @ Seattle is going to be very difficult. Baltimore on a short week, especially, but our defense is better than the Jets and they made the Ravens offense look stupid. Their defense scares me a lot but they are not invincible. And that's the amazing thing: 5 weeks ago I would have said, the Ravens will definitely destroy us. Now, they will probably beat us, but I think we can compete, and maybe even win. Our confidence right now is awesome, it seems like anything is possible.

And the strange thing is that now our challenge is to keep it up, to do this for another 11 weeks. My great hope before the season was that we'd tread water for the first half of the season and then go on a run against the West to get to 8 or 9 wins. Now I just hope that we can maintain momentum. It's Harbawesome.
This is why it can be wise not to predict.
  • lyer
  • Veteran
on second thought, OTC is wrong, valrod is right.

Then, in the playoffs:

Wildcard round: #2 seed, b***hes. we rest
Divisional: ATL-W--revenge for the last two years
NFC Championship: GB--W--Alex Smith pees on Rodgers face

Super Bowl: PITT--W--Big Ben rapes a girl before the game, is suspended, and then Willis rapes Charlie Batch.

yes
yes
yes
Originally posted by lyer:
on second thought, OTC is wrong, valrod is right.

Then, in the playoffs:

Wildcard round: #2 seed, b***hes. we rest
Divisional: ATL-W--revenge for the last two years
NFC Championship: GB--W--Alex Smith pees on Rodgers face

Super Bowl: PITT--W--Big Ben rapes a girl before the game, is suspended, and then Willis rapes Charlie Batch.

yes
yes
yes

...it's happening!
  • Huego
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
1 Sun, Sept. 11 vs. Seattle Seahawks - WIN - We seem to do well in first games for new HC's. This'll be at home, and I can't see us losing this.
2 Sun, Sept. 18 vs. Dallas Cowboys - LOSS - Toss-up. Dallas is a tough opponent, but we always play them well at Candlestick. We have the talent to win, and their secondary is poor (I see a big day for Braylon).
3 Sun, Sept. 25 at Cincinnati Bengals - WIN - Very bad, although very young, rebuilding team. We do our jobs, we walk out with an easy win.
4 Sun, Oct. 2 at Philadelphia Eagles - LOSS - Way too talented for us right now. Barring any injury to Vick, we will lose this game.
5 Sun, Oct. 9 vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - LOSS - Freeman is only going to be better this year, as well Blount, Mike Williams, and the young Tampa D.
6 Sun, Oct. 16 at Detroit Lions - LOSS - We have had ownage on Detroit in recent years, but I think their defense will harass us and they will wind up winning a close one at home.
7 Bye
8 Sun, Oct. 30 vs. Cleveland Browns - WIN - Another rebuilding team we face who is installing a new defense. We're at home too and we're a better team.
9 Sun, Nov. 6 at Washington Redskins - WIN - Washington is just a very average team. We are more talented, and should win this game.
10 Sun, Nov. 13 vs. New York Giants - LOSS - Unless we can solve the Giants pass rush, this will probably be a blowout loss.
11 Sun, Nov. 20 vs. Arizona Cardinals - WIN - I still don't think Arizona can stop our run game.
12 Thu, Nov. 24 at Baltimore Ravens - LOSS - As much as I want this to be a win.. I don't think we'll stop Boldin, Evans, Torrey Smith, and Ray Rice in Baltimore.
13 Sun, Dec. 4 vs. St. Louis Rams - WIN - We'll beat the Rams at our house.
14 Sun, Dec. 11 at Arizona Cardinals - WIN - See week 11 comments.
15 Mon, Dec. 19 vs. Pittsburgh Steelers - LOSS - It's the 2010 AFC Champs...
16 Sat, Dec. 24 at Seattle Seahawks - LOSS - We might struggle with the Seattle crowd.
17 Sun, Jan. 1 at St. Louis Rams - WIN - We play well in season finales and I think we will steal this one for an upset.
I have a hard time seeing us win 4 road games, going 4-4 on the road. I'm saying 6-10, if we are lucky.

great analysis dude, let me get ESPN on the phone and tell them to sign you.

you football guru.
Share 49ersWebzone