LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 251 users in the forums

Can we give some props to Trent Baalke?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Can we give some props to Trent Baalke?

he would rather go to a team that is 0-6 than to a team that is 5-1. if thats the truth that tells you all you need to know about lloyd
Originally posted by stunder49:
why would you try to fix something that is not broken?

Even though I have dreamt the last few nights about picking up a Brandon Marshall or Dwayne Bowe in a trade either one of those guys would be beast on our offense. But like a few said I think Baalke has to resist temptation unless there is something too good to pass up. Add in that we still dont know how good Braylon will be no need to lose picks in April. I think alot of folks forget the numbers Braylon put up when he actuallly had decent QB play from Derrick Anderson in Cleveland.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Lloyd doesnt fit this scheme. He is a run to the zone and wait receiver, not the physical presence we want. Great hands, but why waste a 6th round pick for a #3 receiver for 10 games. He is a free agent at the end of the season and with the way this team has been nailing late round picks lately, better off keeping the pick.

Remember we are still building a foundation here, not adding to a championship team. Building for the future does not mean trading draft picks for 10 games of production if he can even pick the offense up fast enough to start after the bye. As a fan I'm not interested in a one year wonder, I want the niners to have a competitive team year in and year out, trading away picks is the opposite of what we should be doing.

Good points all... One more...Lloyd is being traded from Denver mainly because of this attitude and one has to wonder if that is someone the Niners would want to bring in at this point. I'm kind of glad this deal didn't materialize, even though I trust Baalke's judgment at this stage.
Throwing draft picks away for a known quantity like a Brandon Lloyd is not how you build a franchise, it's a go for broke mentality. The team we want is a 80s-styles 49ers / modern Pats-type dynasty, not the no-draft-pick having modern Raiders crapshoot.
I think the 49ers will not do things to mess up the Chemistry on the team. Lloyd is known to be a "diva." Yes he would have been nice, but why mess up what we have. I think Braylon Edwards is going to be a beast for us when he comes back. He looked good in limited action so far and it will open things up for Crabtree on the other side. It really sucks that Morgan is out for the year.

Also have faith in Baalke, has he screwed up any moves in the offseason? HELL NO. Probably the only one would be David Baas that I want back. And they wanted to sign Goldson for a long term contract but he turned down 25 million, I don't think we would be the same defense without him. He is the enforcer in the secondary.

One of the best moves Baalke made last year was getting Ted Ginn for a 5th round pick. So Baalke knows what he's doing. He won't give up our top picks, but if the price is right he will make a move.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
With the way things are going right now for us....don't you think Baalke should try and resign or sign to long term deals to the one year players now? Maybe start negotiating deals for Morgan, Edwards, Rogers, Whitner, etc.? They are playing well now....and if we wait until the end of the season...they might go to other teams for more money. These players love that they are here why not start talking now to avoid the chance of losing them at the end of the season.

The defense is playing lights out and I think we need to keep that core together. It would be nice to keep our current core of WR's together as they are gelling well.
[ Edited by Baldie on Oct 18, 2011 at 11:31 AM ]
Originally posted by Baldie:
With the way things are going right now for us....don't you think Baalke should try and resign or sign to long term deals to the one year players now? Maybe start negotiating deals for Morgan, Edwards, Rogers, Whitner, etc.? They are playing well now....and if we wait until the end of the season...they might go to other teams for more money. These players love that they are here why not start talking now to avoid the chance of losing them at the end of the season.

Didn't Whitner sign a three-year deal? I agree with the rest though, I really would love to see them signed sooner rather than later. Maybe think about extending Bowman as well.
Originally posted by Baldie:

The defense is playing lights out and I think we need to keep that core together. It would be nice to keep our current core of WR's together as they are gelling well.

cus your 6 games in, why sign a guy now when u dont know what the other 10 games will bring, last thing we need is to re-up someone right now, then they blow out a knee 3 weeks from now
Something tells me Baalke is 20 steps ahead of us when it comes to extending,trading, and drafting players. Lets just sit back and watch him work his magic because thus far he has been doing a fantastic job.
in 1981 walsh made the niners a super bowl team by trading for fred dean

like this years teaam thge 1981 team was young and surprising...they werent "broke" but adding the dimension of a pass rusher made them an elite team

i think niners could and should expend a pick, maybe in mid rds, for some receiver depth

Originally posted by hofer36:
in 1981 walsh made the niners a super bowl team by trading for fred dean

like this years teaam thge 1981 team was young and surprising...they werent "broke" but adding the dimension of a pass rusher made them an elite team

i think niners could and should expend a pick, maybe in mid rds, for some receiver depth

That was different. Dean was holding out. Gene Klein essentially gave Dean away for nothing and a bag of Lays potato chips. We got him for very little. That was a steal of a deal.

In today's world, a similar trade would be the Lions trading us Megatron for a sixth round pick and "future considerations."

The Raiders have plenty of wide receiving talent, but I don't see Hue Jackson doing us any favors before the trade deadline.
Asante Samuel is available, NFL.com says they are looking for players not picks and they are hurting at LB and Dline. I Don't want to give up anyone we have that they might be interested in - Bowman, J. Smith, Aldon Smith... nope.

Mathis is interesting, he'd be an upgrade over McDonald if we ran a 4-3, but we don't and I don't like his size in our 3-4 scheme.
Originally posted by JREED23:
Asante Samuel is available, NFL.com says they are looking for players not picks and they are hurting at LB and Dline. I Don't want to give up anyone we have that they might be interested in - Bowman, J. Smith, Aldon Smith... nope.

Mathis is interesting, he'd be an upgrade over McDonald if we ran a 4-3, but we don't and I don't like his size in our 3-4 scheme.

Depth in the secondary is a premium. I would do it.
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Originally posted by JREED23:

Depth in the secondary is a premium. I would do it.

Haralson and Spencer for Samuel??
Cutt Brett Swain and go after Mike Sims-Walker. Not sure why he fell out of favor so fast in St. Louis, but he's a more reliable receiver than Tedd Ginn, Kyle Williams, etc.
Share 49ersWebzone