There are 182 users in the forums

Clements Released

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Otter:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
So I went to the "offical" Bengals message board and found this;

http://boards.bengals.com/showthread.php?t=83987&page=2

One of the posters said Clements signed with the Bengals for 10million over 2 years with 6 guarenteed? Can anyone confirm?

If so, I think my head will explode. He was defintily worth that contract. In fact, we probably could of got him for cheaper just because he was already here.....

from what I know, he did get a 10.5M or so deal with the 6M guaranteed over 2 yrs as u stated.

Idk what it was, maybe he was upset that he was gonna be released, did he refuse to restructure, and was he upset at the team, idk.

I wish he would of stayed here. Maybe we only wanted him for 1 yr deal, I would of given him this deal. This is the only thing I am mad with. Never should of cut him without a replacement in place.

We tried to restructure his contract. Once they reached an impasse we were forced to cut him. Once cut, there was no way he was going to resign with the 49ers. I told a friend that he would actually take less elsewhere, because of the insult of being cut.

Too bad... Would have been aight to keep him at that price. He did take a lot of risks as a corner, but he certainly has some skills.

One of the posters said Clements signed with the Bengals for 10million over 2 years with 6 guarenteed? Can anyone confirm?

If so, I think my head will explode. He was defintily worth that contract. In fact, we probably could of got him for cheaper just because he was already here.....

from what I know, he did get a 10.5M or so deal with the 6M guaranteed over 2 yrs as u stated.

Idk what it was, maybe he was upset that he was gonna be released, did he refuse to restructure, and was he upset at the team, idk.

I wish he would of stayed here. Maybe we only wanted him for 1 yr deal, I would of given him this deal. This is the only thing I am mad with. Never should of cut him without a replacement in place.

We tried to restructure his contract. Once they reached an impasse we were forced to cut him. Once cut, there was no way he was going to resign with the 49ers. I told a friend that he would actually take less elsewhere, because of the insult of being cut.

Yeah, hard to say what went on behind the scenes. He knew it was coming, though. This is where I start to wonder if a vet GM or better GM would of been able to massage this a little more. When he left he said all the right things. Honestly, 6 million a year wouldn't of been too much considering our options. How much do you think we will have to pay Rogers?

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Aug 1, 2011 at 16:09:19 ]
  • Otter
  • Veteran

Yeah, hard to say what went on behind the scenes. He knew it was coming, though. This is where I start to wonder if a vet GM or better GM would of been able to massage this a little more. When he left he said all the right things. Honestly, 6 million a year wouldn't of been too much considering our options. How much do you think we will have to pay Rogers?

6-7 million average is my guess.

6-7 million average is my guess.

That's what I'm say. All this stress for nothing and most people would argue he's not much of an upgrade if at all. This seems to be a case of quitting your job before you have another one, not a good idea.

6-7 million isn't over the top for your starter when you consider the new floor for a top CB is about 9 to 10million.
this is how it works. The player(especially the dumb ones) need to get cut, to find out for themselves what they are worth. Well now he knows.
He refused to restructure and got cut. There was no bringing him back for $6-7m. Refusing to restructure is the same as opting out of your contract. The writing was on the wall from the moment he signed the contract, that's why it was heavily backloaded and that $80m figure was all overblown. Another reason why McClueless is gone, he structured contracts so that at some point there would be a showdown between players and management... thats how both sides lose and fans get pissed off.
Originally posted by 5280High:
He refused to restructure and got cut. There was no bringing him back for $6-7m. Refusing to restructure is the same as opting out of your contract. The writing was on the wall from the moment he signed the contract, that's why it was heavily backloaded and that $80m figure was all overblown. Another reason why McClueless is gone, he structured contracts so that at some point there would be a showdown between players and management... thats how both sides lose and fans get pissed off.

R us sure? I thought he refused to restructure his contract based on the new proposed numbers, not that he wouldn't restructure at all.
Originally posted by danimal:
this is how it works. The player(especially the dumb ones) need to get cut, to find out for themselves what they are worth. Well now he knows.

Wow, we really showed him....LOL
Share 49ersWebzone