LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

Aldon Smith May Start Out As Nickel Rush Defensive End?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm all for bringing him along slowly, but this is a little slower than I thought.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I'm all for bringing him along slowly, but this is a little slower than I thought.

I agree. But I have decided to trust Harbaugh and his coaches. So now it's wait and see and pray for the best.
Originally posted by Niner915:
Aldon Smith, this guy has been getting pressure almost evertime his in there. i know he hasn;t registered any sacks, but i think he will defininetly provide a better pass rusher to our base 3-4 than Haralson, a top 10 pick (7) and he only gets a handfull of snaps?? WTF!!!!!

Its kind of frustrating. But even as one of his biggest fans, I can understand why they trust Haralson's experience in run defense and coverage.

IMO, I think they need to just throw the guy in there and let him rush, don't drop him back. We need him in there a lot more on passing plays. He is too damn good to be sitting on the sidelines when the offense moves the ball through the air against us. The 3 man rush crap has got to go; it drives me absolutely crazy, DUMB DUMB DUMB. Instead of the 3 man rush, we could throw Aldon in there, it would be much more effective.

We don't even need to blitz. We just need a FOUR man rush, but get Aldon in the game more.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Aldon Smith, this guy has been getting pressure almost evertime his in there. i know he hasn;t registered any sacks, but i think he will defininetly provide a better pass rusher to our base 3-4 than Haralson, a top 10 pick (7) and he only gets a handfull of snaps?? WTF!!!!!

Its kind of frustrating. But even as one of his biggest fans, I can understand why they trust Haralson's experience in run defense and coverage.

IMO, I think they need to just throw the guy in there and let him rush, don't drop him back. We need him in there a lot more on passing plays. He is too damn good to be sitting on the sidelines when the offense moves the ball through the air against us. The 3 man rush crap has got to go; it drives me absolutely crazy, DUMB DUMB DUMB. Instead of the 3 man rush, we could throw Aldon in there, it would be much more effective.

We don't even need to blitz. We just need a FOUR man rush, but get Aldon in the game more.

And to that point, I would like to see them move him around more than a few snaps a game. I think Willis or Bowman could handle OLB duties a few snaps a game, it's not like they dont have to face lineman from the inside.
How did Aldon Smith play in the Cincinnati game? Any signs of improvement?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Ninefan56:

Did he even play ?
I read somewhere that he got one pressure on at least one play.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

And to that point, I would like to see them move him around more than a few snaps a game. I think Willis or Bowman could handle OLB duties a few snaps a game, it's not like they dont have to face lineman from the inside.

Agree. Aldon needs to see the field more and I believe he will over the next few weeks. Haralson has done nothing since the first game
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I read somewhere that he got one pressure on at least one play.

He's been doing his best Manny Lawson impressions this season.

Out of the first 3 games, this one seemed to be where he was the least visible. I think he had one pressure and I saw him drop back in coverage at least a couple of times.

Don't think Andy Dalton's two killer INTs involved any clear pressure from the front seven (With Aldon or otherwise).

Maybe Manny Lawson had a negative effect on him.

So you basically want us to switch to a 4-3 defense?
Originally posted by tohara3:
Agree. Aldon needs to see the field more and I believe he will over the next few weeks. Haralson has done nothing since the first game

Wrong, but I have to say that I didn't think he was any good at the start of the season, but he has proved me wrong, he has played very good this year
Ready to get Parys out and Aldon in....still need to draft another OLB next year (mid rounds).
he's gonna explode all over vick's face on sunday
Share 49ersWebzone