LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 245 users in the forums

Aldon Smith May Start Out As Nickel Rush Defensive End?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
This article screams Red Flags over this player. We've been down the "we're not sure where he is going to play, but we will put him somewhere on the field" road far too many times.

Bad value with the seventh overall. When you draft a guy in that slot, you should be saying (at least internally), "he will be starting at the _________ position from Day One, and will be the starter there for a long time". That is what we did last year with Iupati and Davis. There was no uncertaintly where they would line up.

Smith is a Niner and I wish him the best. But, this is a terrible gamble for a team that is desperate to get to .500 and beyond. This pick came only two selections after Patrick Peterson. Yikes!!!

We played this game very poorly.

We'll see. If Vic Fangio's defensive playbook turns out to be anything like Dom Capers', Aldon Smith could be playing any one of the front six positions. And another on the next play. Interestingly, this is how the Tigers used him, and I have to wonder whether that was particularly attractive to Fangio, assuming he doesn't want his defense to be as limited and predictable -- and ineffective -- as Jimmy Raye's offense was.

EDIT: I don't recall the details from all the draft threads, but whom would you have chosen at #7, if you couldn't trade the pick away and you weren't able to make a trade for a pick above Arizona's?

We will see. I'm just skeptical of these picks where we don't have a specific spot or role for him clearly defined.

As for the 7th overall, in my draft review, I stated that the Niners needed to make a bold move to secure Patrick Peterson, even if it meant sacrificing their 3rd and one of their 4ths this year and maybe future compensation. He was the star of this draft, and the difference in value between him and Smith is not really two picks (as it turned out on Draft Thursday), it is more like a half round. Peterson also solves the greatest deficiency in terms of a roster spot and dollars and cents for this squad (Clements is on the down side of the career with huge cap numbers in the future).

Since we are not dealing with the hypothetical of trading up, my choice would have come down to JJ Watt or Blaine Gabbert. I would leave the idea to Harbaugh, as to whether he believes he can transform Alex Smith into a solid starting QB in the NFL. For a deeper review of my thoughts on both Gabbert and Watt, please refer to some of the comments I made in the Draft Forum.

It is unnerving to see another tweener picked and that he has a fairly upright style. I keep telling myself...McCloughan is gone but...
With the exception of CK, everyone one of our pics seemed like a stretch, almost like an Al Davis "draft the fastest strongest guy" method.
This article screams Red Flags over this player. We've been down the "we're not sure where he is going to play, but we will put him somewhere on the field" road far too many times.

Bad value with the seventh overall. When you draft a guy in that slot, you should be saying (at least internally), "he will be starting at the _________ position from Day One, and will be the starter there for a long time". That is what we did last year with Iupati and Davis. There was no uncertaintly where they would line up.

Smith is a Niner and I wish him the best. But, this is a terrible gamble for a team that is desperate to get to .500 and beyond. This pick came only two selections after Patrick Peterson. Yikes!!!

We'll see. If Vic Fangio's defensive playbook turns out to be anything like Dom Capers', Aldon Smith could be playing any one of the front six positions. And another on the next play. Interestingly, this is how the Tigers used him, and I have to wonder whether that was particularly attractive to Fangio, assuming he doesn't want his defense to be as limited and predictable -- and ineffective -- as Jimmy Raye's offense was.

EDIT: I don't recall the details from all the draft threads, but whom would you have chosen at #7, if you couldn't trade the pick away and you weren't able to make a trade for a pick above Arizona's?

We will see. I'm just skeptical of these picks where we don't have a specific spot or role for him clearly defined.

As for the 7th overall, in my draft review, I stated that the Niners needed to make a bold move to secure Patrick Peterson, even if it meant sacrificing their 3rd and one of their 4ths this year and maybe future compensation. He was the star of this draft, and the difference in value between him and Smith is not really two picks (as it turned out on Draft Thursday), it is more like a half round. Peterson also solves the greatest deficiency in terms of a roster spot and dollars and cents for this squad (Clements is on the down side of the career with huge cap numbers in the future).

Since we are not dealing with the hypothetical of trading up, my choice would have come down to JJ Watt or Blaine Gabbert. I would leave the idea to Harbaugh, as to whether he believes he can transform Alex Smith into a solid starting QB in the NFL. For a deeper review of my thoughts on both Gabbert and Watt, please refer to some of the comments I made in the Draft Forum.

There was no trade up possibility with AZ, they knew we wanted PP, once Von Miller was off the board AZ wasn't gonna budge off that pick. They strengthened their secondary and simultaneously kept ours weak.

Gabbert was overrated... having seen him play in person and watching Missouri all the time on local tv, all he has going for him is his size. Kudos to the niners for not taking him.

Between JJ and Aldon, you can't really go wrong. There is all this talk about all these red flags with him but what about the green flags. Like playing with a broken leg, instantly contributing as a freshman, actually using his 7' wingspan to throw lineman around along with violent hands. Since the 3-4 is just now geting to the college level, most OLB's were DE's in college. It's not like this coaching staff is taking a 290 lb Justin Smith and converting him to OLB like the previous inept regimes.

If Jim Harbaugh thought Gabbert was the man and wanted him, the niners would have drafted him, but they didn't so that shows you what he thought of him. As for defined position, Smith is an OLB period but they will move him around. They did that with Lawrence Taylor and other OLBs that were talented. Now if you are going to say you hate it when they move a player to different position than what they played in college that is understandable. However if a player is any good they will make a transition, Ronnie Lott and Jimmy Johnson are just a few of the niners that have moved. there have plenty in niners history and others where they were thought to big or small for the position, but have made the pro bowl.

As for JJ Watt with the 7th pick, he isn't what they wanted, Fangio was looking for someone to play OLB and smith projects better, because he has on occasion played standing up and dropped back. Make no mistake his sole mission is to rush.

Look at Charles Haley-he is a good example of what the niners are looking for and what smith is being projected as...

However, like all things we will have to wait and see...how he does and how your picks that play on other teams play.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran

I think the object of the game is not so much trying to get the most mileage out of ASmith this year, but getting the most mileage out of JSmith this year. Hence, you are not going to know where he will start..you are looking to play him wherever he can have the biggest impact on the play of JSmith, IMHO.

You are looking at the left hand while the right hand is doing something else. ASmith has just as much chance to start or not start, as PP does. He has just as much chance to excel or fall on his ass as PP does. You talk like you have a crystal ball when it comes to PP, and you don't, not even close. PP ain't nuttin' special until he shows he is something special. He's as good as my f**king worthless dog right now (hasn't done a damn thing lately) along with all the rest of the crop of NFL rookies.

Hence, If you are a smart DC who likes to cover his bases as best as possible, you are going to keep that in mind and be looking at what you HAVE NOW, not what you MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE. Your going to be looking at turning the KNOWN beast KNOWN as JSMITH into an animal, and hoping your draft pick turns into a solid starter, somewhere, somehow, along the way. That's going to be ASmith's job until he proves otherwise...make it easier for JSMITH to light the f**king place up.

In fact, with the addition of ASMITH, I can see JSMITH to have his best year this year. I can see that, and I can see Fangio drooling right now at the prospect of getting this rook on the field with JSMITH, and what that could do to elevate JSMITH into the next level. Fangio is going to go to war with the army he has now, not the army of the future. He's gonna plan with that, and not anything else, and that army is essentially, JSmith.
[ Edited by Blitz on Jul 8, 2011 at 2:25 PM ]
^^ I like your take on the subject, personally I think Willis is the one that will have a breakout year, there is no reason he can't be turned into a swiss army knife on this defense rather than just an ILB. I was always hoping Manusky would of used a blitz where Manny drops back into the zone Willis usually covers, bump the NT and DE out to the side Manny was on and then blitzing Willis up the middle allot more. The dude is relentless but seldom utilized in a blitzing sense. If Bowman continues to progress, he can function as the MLB in some packages and allow Willis to be a rover ala Troy P..

Breakout being relative... like how Woodson "Broke out" for Green Bay even though they are already amazing players.
[ Edited by 5280High on Jul 8, 2011 at 2:32 PM ]
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5280High:
^^ I like your take on the subject, personally I think Willis is the one that will have a breakout year, there is no reason he can't be turned into a swiss army knife on this defense rather than just an ILB. I was always hoping Manusky would of used a blitz where Manny drops back into the zone Willis usually covers, bump the NT and DE out to the side Manny was on and then blitzing Willis up the middle allot more. The dude is relentless but seldom utilized in a blitzing sense. If Bowman continues to progress, he can function as the MLB in some packages and allow Willis to be a rover ala Troy P..

Breakout being relative... like how Woodson "Broke out" for Green Bay even though they are already amazing players.

Yes. What this D needed was someone who can play up or down up front and play the pass. He doesn't need to be a f**king star, he just needs to be able to put his hand in the dirt, or stand up, play in or out. That allows you to do things with your KNOWN piles of kick ass (who happen to be two of the best defender's in the league), JSmith and Willis.

Also, you take JSmith out of this D and this d falls on it's ass. That's how big JSmith is to this team. This D is completely different without the solid play of JSmith. That is not going to last forever, and in fact, it could be at anytime his play drops off. We are DAMN lucky he is playing at a high level, and it's not going to last forever, at anytime it could drop off...the odds are that it will, and soon too. Hence, given that JSmith essentially IS the entire defensive line when it comes to pressuring the QB, only a complete f**king moron would not be looking for a replacement for that inevitable day.

Two ways to skin that cat...OLB or DE, doesn't matter which way you go, only thing that matter's is that they can pressure the QB, or help someone else do it. This D has one CONSISTENT player who can bring it every down to the QB and that is JSMITH. Nobody else can do that, and you have to have at least ONE player on the D who can do that. You have to have at LEAST one player on the outside (the flanks) who the offense has to plan around. Right now, that is JSmith, but not forever, could be tomorrow, JSmith is getting up there. You gotta be solid in the center, and you gotta have something on at least one of the flanks that can move it's ass, wither at DE or OLB. It's an accounting game. Teams already have trouble accounting for Willis and JSmith, make your D so it is harder for them to do it. Willis is a bad ass when it comes to blitzing (and everything else), you get a guy who can help JSmith tougher for teams to game plan around (they do), that will take resources (extra help) and from that you open the door for the possibility for Willis to get up the field more, or get creative to use him blitzing more.
[ Edited by Blitz on Jul 8, 2011 at 3:17 PM ]
Originally posted by Blitz:
Originally posted by 5280High:

Yes. What this D needed was someone who can play up or down up front and play the pass. He doesn't need to be a f**king star, he just needs to be able to put his hand in the dirt, or stand up, play in or out. That allows you to do things with your KNOWN piles of kick ass (who happen to be two of the best defender's in the league), JSmith and Willis.

Also, you take JSmith out of this D and this d falls on it's ass. That's how big JSmith is to this team. This D is completely different without the solid play of JSmith. That is not going to last forever, and in fact, it could be at anytime his play drops off. We are DAMN lucky he is playing at a high level, and it's not going to last forever, at anytime it could drop off...the odds are that it will, and soon too. Hence, given that JSmith essentially IS the entire defensive line when it comes to pressuring the QB, only a complete f**king moron would not be looking for a replacement for that inevitable day.

Two ways to skin that cat...OLB or DE, doesn't matter which way you go, only thing that matter's is that they can pressure the QB, or help someone else do it. This D has one CONSISTENT player who can bring it every down to the QB and that is JSMITH. Nobody else can do that, and you have to have at least ONE player on the D who can do that. You have to have at LEAST one player on the outside (the flanks) who the offense has to plan around. Right now, that is JSmith, but not forever, could be tomorrow, JSmith is getting up there. You gotta be solid in the center, and you gotta have something on at least one of the flanks that can move it's ass, wither at DE or OLB. It's an accounting game. Teams already have trouble accounting for Willis and JSmith, make your D so it is harder for them to do it. Willis is a bad ass when it comes to blitzing (and everything else), you get a guy who can help JSmith tougher for teams to game plan around (they do), that will take resources (extra help) and from that you open the door for the possibility for Willis to get up the field more, or get creative to use him blitzing more.

I have been saying this since last year, and he is getting older.. older usually means injuries. I have been hoping and wishing that we get a young player to groom under him, but we still have no quality dlineman IMO after J. Smith.

If he goes down, we will get run over, and have less pass rush than we had last year.
I don't understand people saying he doesn't have a position. He's an olb in the 34. Period. In a 43 he is a de who has the ability to line up inside as well. Is this supposed to decrease his value? And as for him not having a defined position...I believe Patrick Peterson has been talked of as a guy who will need to become a safety in the NFL. If you're gonna down grade aldon smith for being too big to play olb at least say the same s**t for pp.
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
I don't understand people saying he doesn't have a position. He's an olb in the 34. Period. In a 43 he is a de who has the ability to line up inside as well. Is this supposed to decrease his value? And as for him not having a defined position...I believe Patrick Peterson has been talked of as a guy who will need to become a safety in the NFL. If you're gonna down grade aldon smith for being too big to play olb at least say the same s**t for pp.

Was a DE and TE in HS, a DE in college. Though he will probably be able to play OLB it is not a cerainty, thus the concern. He is small to play a 3/4 DE and hasn't proved himself as a OLB. Hope he is lights out but will need to wait and see.

Was a DE and TE in HS, a DE in college. Though he will probably be able to play OLB it is not a cerainty, thus the concern. He is small to play a 3/4 DE and hasn't proved himself as a OLB. Hope he is lights out but will need to wait and see.

Isn't freeney considered small for a 4-3 de? (maybe i'm thinking of the wrong person) If Aldon has the effort, drive, and heart, he will make it work reguardless of size. Plus he is a rook, he can gain or lose weight as needed probably.

Originally posted by unst4bl3:

Isn't freeney considered small for a 4-3 de? (maybe i'm thinking of the wrong person) If Aldon has the effort, drive, and heart, he will make it work reguardless of size. Plus he is a rook, he can gain or lose weight as needed probably.

Agree, he is just 10 pounds light of J Smith, who's good anywhere. If he can be a bookend or a partner coming off the corner...great!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jul 8, 2011 at 5:26 PM ]

MD I respect ya scouting abilities, but i don't believe our biggest deficiency was not at corner. 2nd but not 1st. The biggest issue was the lack of constant pressure.You know that would have made up for the DB's. We constantly gave 4 to 5 secs before the QB had to think about throwing. The fact that the coaches are not saying hes a definite is no reason to believe that the really dont know. You have more common sense than that.
As for Blaine, we will see if he is any better than CK. He sure will have a serious chance at starting this season.
As for Aldon. I like the fact that he has the ability to be all over the field and not pigeon holed. That will allow im to be in a lot of packages his rookie season.. He long and likes to get at the QB what more can you ask for?

Which article are you referring to? The one in the op? I don't know how you get much out of that article it was like 2 sentences long.

We won't see much on Smith until he actually starts playing. I don't think there is anything wrong with saying he'll start out just as a rusher in obvious passing downs. There's no need to rush the guy just because he's a top 10 pick. I disagree that it's pretty much mandatory to start a guy just cuz he's drafted that high.

It just so happens usually teams picking that high need help instantly. Given the circumstances of this season/lockout he won't be as prepared as he should be but even still let's at least wait and see.

I would like to see more speed from Aldon but whatever he did at Missouri worked for him and I trust the coaches to put him in a position to succeed on this defense.

Would certainly be nice to have another linebacker teams need to worry about outside of Willis.
Originally posted by WildBill:

If Jim Harbaugh thought Gabbert was the man and wanted him, the niners would have drafted him, but they didn't so that shows you what he thought of him. As for defined position, Smith is an OLB period but they will move him around. They did that with Lawrence Taylor and other OLBs that were talented. Now if you are going to say you hate it when they move a player to different position than what they played in college that is understandable. However if a player is any good they will make a transition, Ronnie Lott and Jimmy Johnson are just a few of the niners that have moved. there have plenty in niners history and others where they were thought to big or small for the position, but have made the pro bowl.

As for JJ Watt with the 7th pick, he isn't what they wanted, Fangio was looking for someone to play OLB and smith projects better, because he has on occasion played standing up and dropped back. Make no mistake his sole mission is to rush.

Look at Charles Haley-he is a good example of what the niners are looking for and what smith is being projected as...

However, like all things we will have to wait and see...how he does and how your picks that play on other teams play.

I see them using Aldon kinda like we used Ricky Jackson in '94. Sometimes as an OLB and sometimes as a DE in nickel and maybe dime packages. He looks a lot like Chris Doleman physically, if only he can play like him, we would be in good shape.
Aldon Smith, this guy has been getting pressure almost evertime his in there. i know he hasn;t registered any sacks, but i think he will defininetly provide a better pass rusher to our base 3-4 than Haralson, a top 10 pick (7) and he only gets a handfull of snaps?? WTF!!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone