ILB: Willis, Bowman, McKillop, Grant
OLB: Haralson, A Smith, Brooks, Applewhite, Gibson
CB: Spencer, Rogers, P Adams, T Brown, Culliver
S: R Smith, Whitner, M Williams, Spillman, Mays

K: Aikers
P: Lee
LS: Jennings

Extra Spots: Masoli, C Taylor, C Beeler

Usually, I have a pretty hard time figuring out how to get all the players I like onto a 53 man roster. This year it's not that hard, which makes me a little worried about the quality of our roster. And certainly, some of these positions that look a little thin, like QB and DL. So I would not be surprised if some of those "extra spots" are taken up a third QB and a 7th D lineman.

Okay, I've revised my roster my based on OTC's comment about Zeigler being on the PUP. I gave that spot to Masoli, figuring that he could play special teams and be an emergency back up at both QB and RB. But I would rather see a vet QB get that spot.

Also, I'd like to point out that I know Mays is on the trade block. But I'm not sure we're going to get an attractive enough offer, so I have us hanging onto him. Obviously, that's another spot I could end up being wrong about...
Very nice work, Karma...(and great handle BTW)...

First, I really enjoyed reading your post. Lots of good insights, particularly regarding the LBs and DLmen. I also appreciated you putting out a practice squad too. Overall, I'm in agreement with virtually every point you made.

Some have said (and I have to go along with them) that guys like Morris, Rachal, and Madieu Williams should not be considered "locks" at this point but other than them, I think you put forth very compelling arguments for your keepers...and non-keepers.

Well done.

One additional thought...the Niners signed a T from Stanford named Derek Hall as an UDFA and have moved him inside to G. Seeing as he is supposedly a pretty talented athlete and knows Harbaugh's system, I think he may be a dark-horse, especially if Rachal struggles in pre-season. If he can adjust to the new position, I see him as a practice squad guy at least and possibly more. Your thoughts?
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Aug 7, 2011 at 7:57 PM ]
Originally posted by AlexSmith11:
doesnt cj spillman have a better chance of making the team than phillip adams because of his special teams abilities

Adams showed the ability to be a good CB in this league and the team needs to develop their young guys at this position. Spillman is a safety with almost no experience beyond Special Teams. That said, he is one hell of a special teams player and that might get him on the roster.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
So did I and enjoyed the read. Most makes a great deal of sense but there are a couple locks that seem less than certain, including Grant. Krystic and McKillop may move him out. Thanks for the work!

Those two might move past Grant but he has starting experience which the other two don't which makes him more valuable.
Good stuff.

I like our Oline except Rachal. I think Boone is a big sleeper. Goodwin will hold it down for now but we need a legit center to develop. Snyder obviously wasn't impressing enough to hold off that signing. Still, that signing provides that much more depth this year.

Our defensive line is really my biggest concern with the team.
Originally posted by elhebrewhammer:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by wolfpack52:
Chilo has no potential. He used his upper body strength in college to get by. That crap doesn't work in the NFL. He has bad feet, bad hips, no lower body strength, no ability to get to the next level and is slow out of his stance. Hopefully the niners send a mass email out for him.

Other than that he should be ok

I literally laughed out loud when I read your comment!

Chilo is probably the second most hated niner on the board right now. It seems to me that the story on him coming out was that he moved well and was an above average pulling guard. He hasn't shown that yet but the position coaches have the best idea of whether or not he can do it. Baalke has shown that he will not hold onto a guy he helped draft just to prove he was right (we are seeing that with Mays). I'll trust their opinions when it is all said and done.
Originally posted by DrGonzo00:
Good stuff.

I like our Oline except Rachal. I think Boone is a big sleeper. Goodwin will hold it down for now but we need a legit center to develop. Snyder obviously wasn't impressing enough to hold off that signing. Still, that signing provides that much more depth this year.

Our defensive line is really my biggest concern with the team.

I agree (see my last post concerning Rachal). I am very excited to see what Boone has as the primary backup at Tackle. SNyder probably wasn't that bad as the center but the team is better off with a guy who has experience.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Good analysis.

I think you'll end up being 90%+ right including injuries.

I'd say that it looks like Norris has a better chance of making the roster than any of us would like, though.

Also, while Colin Jones seems to offer little more than special teams value, I think he's more likely to make the roster than you... because that's what he was drafted for.

I can't wait to see these guys play a game! I R HYPE!

Thanks for writing this!

At this point Colin Jones and Spillman are basically the same type of guy. The only difference is that Spillman has done it on this level. I think they took a chance with Jones in case Spillman left.
Originally posted by boomer49er:
I think we'll make final cuts and there will be 2 qbs on the roster...and I'd something happens during the season that makes us need another we will sign one then. But I think if Alex isn't the starter at some point they'll go with kap.

Or maybe harbaugh will suit up. Old school player/coach style

Ha! I would love to see Captain Comback suit up for us!

I just don't see them going with only two QBs. We know Alex's inconsistencies and having a rookie as the only back-up is just a scary idea. They might do it but I would be much more comfortable if they brought in a guy like Delhomme (I know he sucks but he could help mentor Kaep).
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
I'd add one more dark horse to the squad -- and it feels so strange to be saying it, but...

Taylor Mays -- If the Niners can't trade him, but shows up as a Special Teams monster in preseason, he may just stick. You have to think that opponents' KRs and PRs would be hearing steps and knowing they're one hit away from tomorrow. He could motivate other teams to fair catch punts more often than they would otherwise (I think the new rules will result in more touchbacks on kickoffs, although it will be interesting to see if some kickers don't try for altitude and have the ball come down inside the 10 where it or the KR will be fair game).

I keep talking about Spillman, but if you are going to keep a guy around just fro ST, Spillman is the better choice. Mays has the speed and size but Spillman knows the coverage units MUCH better.

Sorry for all the posts in a row but I was offline all day and I wanted to answer everyone's comments. Thank you all for the compliments. I love doing these roster breakdowns and I hope I add to the board by doing this!
Originally posted by Karma:
Originally posted by boomer49er:
I think we'll make final cuts and there will be 2 qbs on the roster...and I'd something happens during the season that makes us need another we will sign one then. But I think if Alex isn't the starter at some point they'll go with kap.

Or maybe harbaugh will suit up. Old school player/coach style

Ha! I would love to see Captain Comback suit up for us!

I just don't see them going with only two QBs. We know Alex's inconsistencies and having a rookie as the only back-up is just a scary idea. They might do it but I would be much more comfortable if they brought in a guy like Delhomme (I know he sucks but he could help mentor Kaep).

In another thread it was mentioned that Harbaugh announced they'd keep Masoli as the 3rd QB and not convert him to RB. But we'll see what happens if any of the other teams slough off a veteran QB during cutdowns.
[ Edited by 49erThrowback on Aug 6, 2011 at 9:14 PM ]
Originally posted by Karma:
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
I'd add one more dark horse to the squad -- and it feels so strange to be saying it, but...

Taylor Mays -- If the Niners can't trade him, but shows up as a Special Teams monster in preseason, he may just stick. You have to think that opponents' KRs and PRs would be hearing steps and knowing they're one hit away from tomorrow. He could motivate other teams to fair catch punts more often than they would otherwise (I think the new rules will result in more touchbacks on kickoffs, although it will be interesting to see if some kickers don't try for altitude and have the ball come down inside the 10 where it or the KR will be fair game).

I keep talking about Spillman, but if you are going to keep a guy around just fro ST, Spillman is the better choice. Mays has the speed and size but Spillman knows the coverage units MUCH better.

I think Mays is smart and dedicated enough to pick up the coverage knowledge if it's clear his route to excel is on ST. And with the right coaching, he could be a terror on both coverage and return teams. Frankly, I think he's more valuable staying on the team than traded for a 6th round pick in next year's draft.
Originally posted by superman49er:
doesnt cj spillman have a better chance of making the team than phillip adams because of his special teams abilities

probably not because we have so many safeties now, spillman makes the team if he beats out taylor and maragos

Spillman I think is a lock!!! he is an outstanding gunner/special teams player
Originally posted by fortyniner52:
Originally posted by superman49er:

probably not because we have so many safeties now, spillman makes the team if he beats out taylor and maragos

Spillman I think is a lock!!! he is an outstanding gunner/special teams player
Share 49ersWebzone