Originally posted by JustaFan45:
Originally posted by skynet907:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by JayBee:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
The projected stats for Alex under both Raye and Mike J.

264 of 446 (59%) for 3276 yards, 24 TDs, 10 INTs, 90.6 QBR. (M.J.)

327 of 541 (60.4%) for 3418 yards, 26 TDs, 17 INTs, 81.5 QBR. (Raye)

Imagine what he could do with a legit OC at this point. If Harbaugh and Roman are the real deal... two rookies and then starting LT out with injury... if our OL is even marginally better... expect a 90+ QBR... and that should be plenty enough to get us a winning record. (assuming the D doesn't regress horribly)

How many games was gore out for at the end of last season? Would that have any effect on our QB's Qb rating?

5 games altogether and most of the sixth game... and heck yeah, losing your starting RB can certainly affect QB performance.

Guess Troy and Shaun Hill would have had superior numbers if Gore wasn't injured either.

Haha, yeah... as if the reasons for why Alex will be making 5+ mil this year compared to Hill (HALF of that) and an unemployed Troy is just.... so.... confusing.

Help me out with that.... NFL teams are just so naive, is that right????

The fact that we can only compare Alex to journeyman QBs is the real joke. He's a first overall pick and playing like one are my expectations for him this season... no less no excuses!

It isn't his fault he was drafted where he was, he hasn't and never will play on that level and will likely be an average QB at most. Please lower your expectations and try to make the best of what you see as a s**tty situation, instead of giving yourself fuel to incessantly complain about.

Are you serious lower my expectations? My expectations for Alex are the same as any of the other 1st round picks on the team. Vernon Davis, Joe Staley, Manny Lawson, Etc.

As far as Alex being just an average Qb is not good enough in my book but apparently it's good enough for you and Harbaugh. For me to spend my hard earn money to be at the games Alex's play better come close to first overall pick since the team will be giving him another year. I don't care what he does in June talk to me in December.

Oh yeah just to keep things on topic coaching was the the biggest problem but not the only problem.

Aex has been average yes
is it disapointing for a #1 pick also yes

however we have to keep in mind that alex has been average with singetary as HC singeltary is a great motivator but he has no idea how to put together a gameplan and he is also in able to make in game adjustments

so to be honest the fact that a qb can perform average whie having an HC that cant put together a gameplan itself is pretty good

i mean how many teams have made the playoffs or done well in the nfl that has had an HC that cant put together a gameplan

Ok I can say that for Hill when he was here.

Hopefully with Harbaugh there will be a difference in Alex play and by December he will of proved me wrong. See you then.

Oh yeah staying on topic coaching was the biggest problem last year but not the only problem.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

Imagine what he could do with a legit OC at this point. If Harbaugh and Roman are the real deal... two rookies and then starting LT out with injury... if our OL is even marginally better... expect a 90+ QBR... and that should be plenty enough to get us a winning record. (assuming the D doesn't regress horribly)

How many games was gore out for at the end of last season? Would that have any effect on our QB's Qb rating?

5 games altogether and most of the sixth game... and heck yeah, losing your starting RB can certainly affect QB performance.

Guess Troy and Shaun Hill would have had superior numbers if Gore wasn't injured either.

Haha, yeah... as if the reasons for why Alex will be making 5+ mil this year compared to Hill (HALF of that) and an unemployed Troy is just.... so.... confusing.

The fact that we can only compare Alex to journeyman QBs is the real joke. He's a first overall pick and playing like one are my expectations for him this season... no less no excuses!

It isn't his fault he was drafted where he was, he hasn't and never will play on that level and will likely be an average QB at most. Please lower your expectations and try to make the best of what you see as a s**tty situation, instead of giving yourself fuel to incessantly complain about.

Are you serious lower my expectations? My expectations for Alex are the same as any of the other 1st round picks on the team. Vernon Davis, Joe Staley, Manny Lawson, Etc.

As far as Alex being just an average Qb is not good enough in my book but apparently it's good enough for you and Harbaugh. For me to spend my hard earn money to be at the games Alex's play better come close to first overall pick since the team will be giving him another year. I don't care what he does in June talk to me in December.

Oh yeah just to keep things on topic coaching was the the biggest problem but not the only problem.

Aex has been average yes
is it disapointing for a #1 pick also yes

however we have to keep in mind that alex has been average with singetary as HC singeltary is a great motivator but he has no idea how to put together a gameplan and he is also in able to make in game adjustments

so to be honest the fact that a qb can perform average whie having an HC that cant put together a gameplan itself is pretty good

i mean how many teams have made the playoffs or done well in the nfl that has had an HC that cant put together a gameplan

Ok I can say that for Hill when he was here.

Hopefully with Harbaugh there will be a difference in Alex play and by December he will of proved me wrong. See you then.

Oh yeah staying on topic coaching was the biggest problem last year but not the only problem.

ya you can say the same about hill remember when he played in 2008 and 2009 there was sucj a level of difference between martz and raye as OC because martz was running the offense in 2008 the way he wanted to and in 2009 sing and raye were running the offense

also yes we will see in december pointless talking now

i agree coaching was the main problem but not only problem
Originally posted by TheGoldenState:
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

No. If you make the excuse for Alex, you should make the excuse for all the other QB's. Every excuse you can make for Alex failing, you can make for all other Qb's failing. So if you're going to say that the absence of Frank contributed to Alex's less than stellar numbers, you must say the same for Troy and Hill

How did Troy come in off the street and put up better numbers against Denver and St. Louis than Alex ever has? That just doesn't make sense.

PS: The only reason why Alex is getting more of a chance than Troy and Hill has more to do with where he was picked and his age than anything else. Troy was a late round pick and is undersized. Hill is old and is a journeyman.

Alex had to come in for Troy in his 2nd rams game

Troy was FLUKE! He had one good game.

Anyways, the biggest problem last year was Singletary being our head coach

One good game that was our 1st win

Alex came into the Rams game and turned the ball over.

How is a QB rating over 100 in his first 2 games with 0 TC and 1st team reps a fluke? This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

It baffles me how coaching was an issue for Alex but not for Troy or Carr.

Because his combined QB ratings the 4 games after was 58

If you don't think that Troy Smith was a fluke there's gotta be something wrong with you.

This is such a dumb statement I don't even know how to respond. There's a difference between being inconsistent or even bad....and being a fluke.

Got damn, was Alex a fluke in his last game against the Cards posting a 100+ QB rating when he has a career QB rating in the 70s?

Yes, bad QB's can have good games and no...throwing for 300+ yards is not a fluke. It's called having a good game nothing more nothing less. You can cry about throwing that desperation pass to Delanie....why don't people discredit Favre for his ill advised desperation passes? Because, if they're completed that's all that matters. There's no column for "ill advised passes".

It's almost infuriating to me how a QB who came to the team in week 1 is being discredited for having bad games....yet in the same frigging breath people are making excuses for a QB who has played 6 years of mediocre football. I'm told that a simple "workout" is so important for a Qb and receiver to gain chemistry...yet Troy was expected to create chemistry on the fly while learning a playbook without a "workout" or TC or preseason.

It's not that I think Troy is good...it's that Alex fans are walking contradictions...

If Troy's good games are flukes then so are Alex's.

u make some good points , but i disagree. the difference between AS and TS is that while TS came in and was impressive with a crappy situation he simply doesnt have it in him to overcome a knowledgeable gameplan against him. keep him in the pocket and u might as well have me as the QB.

AS on the other hand has shown the ability that he can overcome whatever the defense does. he can stand tall in the pocket. he can make plays when things break down. he can scraamble and improvise. he can run for yards.

Of course , for every one time he has succeeded in these situations, we can find three where he has failed. but it is there. TS? not so much.

do i believe AS can become the QB we need? not really. based on his history, its against the odds. but ,f**k it, im rooting for him.
Originally posted by fearthe9ers:

No. If you make the excuse for Alex, you should make the excuse for all the other QB's. Every excuse you can make for Alex failing, you can make for all other Qb's failing. So if you're going to say that the absence of Frank contributed to Alex's less than stellar numbers, you must say the same for Troy and Hill

How did Troy come in off the street and put up better numbers against Denver and St. Louis than Alex ever has? That just doesn't make sense.

PS: The only reason why Alex is getting more of a chance than Troy and Hill has more to do with where he was picked and his age than anything else. Troy was a late round pick and is undersized. Hill is old and is a journeyman.

How is a QB rating over 100 in his first 2 games with 0 TC and 1st team reps a fluke? This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

If you don't think that Troy Smith was a fluke there's gotta be something wrong with you.

You have GOT to be kidding me with the bolded. Have you watched a 49er game in the last 6 years? This is one of Alex's biggest flaws. You RARELY see Alex make something out of nothing. When there is the smallest bit of pressure, he panics....dumps the ball to quick or throws it away. Alex's inability to improvise

This is such a dumb statement I don't even know how to respond. There's a difference between being inconsistent or even bad....and being a fluke.

Got damn, was Alex a fluke in his last game against the Cards posting a 100+ QB rating when he has a career QB rating in the 70s?

Yes, bad QB's can have good games and no...throwing for 300+ yards is not a fluke. It's called having a good game nothing more nothing less. You can cry about throwing that desperation pass to Delanie....why don't people discredit Favre for his ill advised desperation passes? Because, if they're completed that's all that matters. There's no column for "ill advised passes".

It's almost infuriating to me how a QB who came to the team in week 1 is being discredited for having bad games....yet in the same frigging breath people are making excuses for a QB who has played 6 years of mediocre football. I'm told that a simple "workout" is so important for a Qb and receiver to gain chemistry...yet Troy was expected to create chemistry on the fly while learning a playbook without a "workout" or TC or preseason.

It's not that I think Troy is good...it's that Alex fans are walking contradictions...

u make some good points , but i disagree. the difference between AS and TS is that while TS came in and was impressive with a crappy situation he simply doesnt have it in him to overcome a knowledgeable gameplan against him. keep him in the pocket and u might as well have me as the QB.

AS on the other hand has shown the ability that he can overcome whatever the defense does. he can stand tall in the pocket. he can make plays when things break down. he can scraamble and improvise. he can run for yards.

Of course , for every one time he has succeeded in these situations, we can find three where he has failed. but it is there. TS? not so much.

do i believe AS can become the QB we need? not really. based on his history, its against the odds. but ,f**k it, im rooting for him.

You have GOT to be kidding me with the bolded. Overcome whatever the defense does? Make plays when things break down? Completely asinine suggestions.

I swear I question whether people actually watch the games.

[ Edited by 80sbaby24 on Jun 11, 2011 at 22:54:12 ]
7 OC's in 7 years...coaching...duh. It has always been coaching.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:

You have GOT to be kidding me with the bolded. Have you watched a 49er game in the last 6 years? This is one of Alex's biggest flaws. You RARELY see Alex make something out of nothing. When there is the smallest bit of pressure, he panics....dumps the ball to quick or throws it away. Alex's inability to improvise

You have GOT to be kidding me with the bolded. Overcome whatever the defense does? Make plays when things break down? Completely asinine suggestions.

lol. i understand ur post, i really do. just not sure why u take ONE part of my post and attack it while ignoring the very next sentence. ninertalk, i guess. seems to be the standard.

he has shown those abilities. just not even close to consistently. but its there. needs to play with more swagger. that, in my opinion, is the missing piece. doubt its in him tho. heres hoping.

lol. i understand ur post, i really do. just not sure why u take ONE part of my post and attack it while ignoring the very next sentence. ninertalk, i guess. seems to be the standard.

he has shown those abilities. just not even close to consistently. but its there. needs to play with more swagger. that, in my opinion, is the missing piece. doubt its in him tho. heres hoping.

I wasnt ignoring the rest of your post. The sentence following the bold is just as laughable. Can Alex scramble? Sure. Does he? Not nearly as much as he should. Can he improvise? Well, I would argue this is a big flaw in his game and he doesnt do it well.

I wasnt ignoring the rest of your post. The sentence following the bold is just as laughable. Can Alex scramble? Sure. Does he? Not nearly as much as he should. Can he improvise? Well, I would argue this is a big flaw in his game and he doesnt do it well.

how is it laughable? it agrees with u. am confused. understandable as i am very drunk

WTF? I'm completely dumbfounded how you can even make that kind of conclusion when

a) Troy had 0 chemistry with his receivers (his accuracy is typically not as bad as it was last year...you can tell those missed passes had all to do with chemistry and timing...something he did not get a chance to work on.

b) He played with a limited playbook.... That crappy Raye playbook, take it and chop it down to 1/3 and tell me how difficult it would be to move the ball.

c) Troy has limited experience...I think he started 3 other games before getting to the 9ers. How are you comparing him to a guy who has started over 50? How did Troy come in with a limited playbook and beast in 2 games? I believe the St. Louis game dwarfed Alex's best single game career stats. How is that possible?

At least be frigging fair in your assessment.

"AS on the other hand has shown the ability that he can overcome whatever the defense does. he can stand tall in the pocket. he can make plays when things break down. he can scraamble and improvise. he can run for yards"

Is this some kind of joke? That is the KNOCK on HIM! He can't perform when things break down. He can't perform unless everyone around him is good to pro-bowl quality from the WR's, to the TE's, to the coaches, to the OC's, to the HC. He can NOT make plays when things break down. WTF, have you even watched him play?

Troy found success when things broke down...that's why he started. He was able to scramble and make plays. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Alex could have won that game, and he c ould have won that game against carolina also.. (that c arr lost for us) he also could have won the 2nd rams game, if he had started.

Note: Troy smith came onto this team after training camp and did not know this offense. The only reason he was benches was because we couldn't expand the playbook and teams caught on to the few plays he knew. He was not benches for his ability.

Originally posted by Joecool:

Alex could have won that game, and he c ould have won that game against carolina also.. (that c arr lost for us) he also could have won the 2nd rams game, if he had started.

Note: Troy smith came onto this team after training camp and did not know this offense. The only reason he was benches was because we couldn't expand the playbook and teams caught on to the few plays he knew. He was not benches for his ability.

Alex Smith was the problem bro.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Alex Smith was the problem bro.

cool story bro!
Love how over 90% of the hundreds of votes goes to coaching, and yet the same lil group of detractors keep crying the loudest about the QB.
I watched the Ray Lewis mic'd up episode and they showed a clip of Ray Ray and singletary encounter.

Pretty much Ray completely blew off Sing and told him he didn't know what he was talking about.

I know Ray is the leader of that team and everything, but it was hard to see how Sing became a HC after watching that clip.
Share 49ersWebzone