There are 195 users in the forums

What was a bigger problem last year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What was a bigger problem last year?

• Jiks
Originally posted by oldman9er:
The abysmal coaching, of course.

When you can't even get the plays in on time... when you can't (or refuse to) make adjustments from what is not working... when opposing defenses are calling your offensive plays pre-snap... when your press CBs are constantly playing 7-10 yards off of receivers...

Yeah... I liked Nolan and Singletary at first, but my Lord, how disgraceful they were as HCs.

It's because neither of the two were ready to coach at the point when they were hired. I have the same concerns about Harbaugh, only he has a much more suitable coaching staff that should help out tremendously.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

When you can't even get the plays in on time... when you can't (or refuse to) make adjustments from what is not working... when opposing defenses are calling your offensive plays pre-snap... when your press CBs are constantly playing 7-10 yards off of receivers...

Yeah... I liked Nolan and Singletary at first, but my Lord, how disgraceful they were as HCs.

It's because neither of the two were ready to coach at the point when they were hired. I have the same concerns about Harbaugh, only he has a much more suitable coaching staff that should help out tremendously.

Yeah, guess I am not completely sold on Harbaugh/Roman/Fangio just yet at the pro level, but I am really pleased that the first two are offensive minds. Nolan and Sing just knew how to talk the talk at first, and I bought in...

... but I'm not gonna be one of those weak souls that says, "never will I get my hopes up again because I am scared of the potential heartbreak!"

( not at all saying YOU are like that )

When you cannot get any pressure on the opposing QB and he has all day to pick your defense apart. When your defensive scheme is so predictable week in and week out that opposing QBs know exactly what area of the field to target on crucial downs.

I, too, liked Nolan and Singletary at first. Singletary moreso after he came in and began to get more out of the talent on the team--VD, Brooks, etc. But his lack of experience as a coach caught up to him.

For example, how could he think the team would improve by replacing not just one, but two starting OL with rookies--no matter how talented those rookies might be? That move spoke volumes about his inexperience as a HC, and his lack of understanding of the offensive side of the ball.

I am encouraged by the changes on the coaching staff. Now if we could just see them get to work.

BTW, how smart is Harbaugh to not only get a playbook to Smith, but "other teaching materials" as well for Smith to use at Camp Alex. Shows some ability to plan ahead, doesn't it?
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

When you cannot get any pressure on the opposing QB and he has all day to pick your defense apart. When your defensive scheme is so predictable week in and week out that opposing QBs know exactly what area of the field to target on crucial downs.

I, too, liked Nolan and Singletary at first. Singletary moreso after he came in and began to get more out of the talent on the team--VD, Brooks, etc. But his lack of experience as a coach caught up to him.

For example, how could he think the team would improve by replacing not just one, but two starting OL with rookies--no matter how talented those rookies might be? That move spoke volumes about his inexperience as a HC, and his lack of understanding of the offensive side of the ball.

I am encouraged by the changes on the coaching staff. Now if we could just see them get to work.

BTW, how smart is Harbaugh to not only get a playbook to Smith, but "other teaching materials" as well for Smith to use at Camp Alex. Shows some ability to plan ahead, doesn't it?

If Sing would STFU and let the OC do his thing (Martz) 9ers would be playoff bound the last 2 years. When interviewing OC's...if Sing said (do whatever the eff you want) we'd probably have Linehan and be playoff bound.

Sing's stubbornness ruined him. I think he's a good motivator and it shows on the field....the team played hard. But, the O was pathetic and the D was putrid.
Biggest problem was coaching because in-game adjustments were non-existent on either side of the ball. Even if we had a solid first half, opposing teams would seem to figure out where our weaknesses were and attack them in the second half.

Our coach didn't even seem to acknowledge that opposing teams might adjust their strategies during the game. On offense and defense, it would be the same plays & packages over and over.

It's kinda like we wanted to be a pure boxer in a MMA match, and expected the opponent to never kick us.
Mistakes and un-disclipine, plain and simple. For example:

-D. Walker and Alex's bonehead missed t.d. against Seattle(game changer)

There's just so many more. I honestly believe if it wasn't for all the mistakes we could have been 8-8 easily.

You mean M. Norris?
Originally posted by JayBee:
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

If Sing would STFU and let the OC do his thing (Martz) 9ers would be playoff bound the last 2 years. When interviewing OC's...if Sing said (do whatever the eff you want) we'd probably have Linehan and be playoff bound.

Sing's stubbornness ruined him. I think he's a good motivator and it shows on the field....the team played hard. But, the O was pathetic and the D was putrid.

The thing about Martz is that he gets qbs killed and his offenses historically turn the ball over at a prodigious rate. Linehan might have been a better fit, but then we probably wouldn't have made the playoffs with the absolute piss poor play we have gotten from the offensive line. I sure hope they play better this year because your offense is only as good as your pass protection allows it to be.

[ Edited by Memphis9er on Jun 10, 2011 at 08:37:00 ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Qb play
Originally posted by valrod33:

Going to have to look at the Film and get back to you....

QB play wasn't good either but the Coaching was all over the place. Sing listening to the players to much to make desicions. Raye brings continuity, then he's horribe, say's his job in safe and fires him the next morning. QB carousel. I thought at the very least, Sing would have stuck with Alex or Troy for the remainder of the season. The 2 or 3 game switch up was ridiculous.
Mistakes and un-disclipine, plain and simple. For example:

-D. Walker and Alex's bonehead missed t.d. against Seattle(game changer)
-Defense giving up last minute drive to N.O.
-Missed catches and turnovers(fumbled punt by Adams(game changer)) (D. Walker Fumble, Gore Fumble in the redzone)
-Coaching decisions. Going for it on 4th and Goal and getting stomped. I can think of 2 big T.d's we missed out on. Seattle and San Diego.
-Nate Clements int. fumble
-Missed block causing Alex to get sacked with lead
-Alex's fumble against Philly
-J. Smith getting thrown out for decking a ref

There's just so many more. I honestly believe if it wasn't for all the mistakes we could have been 8-8 easily.

The majority of this amounts to coaching. Coaching = having the players prepared for all situations, last year the niners just looked lost. As much as everyone wants to hop of the QB, 5 of those first 6 games were winnable. Our 2 minute defense was complete crap and accounted for a couple losses. Poorly timed fumbles, ANOTHER fumble of an int in atlanta, QB rotating door, it was just all bad.

The defense was supremely dissapointing, and Manusky was a little overated IMO. How did the niners not constantly terrorize Seattle's QB in the first game of the season with their make shift O-line... their O-line coach left and they didn't even know who was going to start for half their line until a week before the game. Then to give up leads to Atlanta and NO like we did... total crap. The offense wasn't that much better but the fact remains... we had the lead in plenty of games and just couldn't finish them out due to defensive inconsistency.
  • TJA85
  • Veteran
run run run punt
Originally posted by TJA85:
run run run punt

let me elaborate...

run up the middle for -2 yards.

aborted snap, QB falls on the ball - 5 yards.

draw on 3rd and 17 for 4 yards.

punt (excellent punt )
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by TJA85:
run run run punt

let me elaborate...

run up the middle for -2 yards.

aborted snap, QB falls on the ball - 5 yards.

draw on 3rd and 17 for 4 yards.

punt (excellent punt )

This was singletary's master plan when he said he was gonna focus on special teams...
Share 49ersWebzone