LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

MIA David Carr

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
If anything hes doing us a favor by not participating in any activities hes a bum just like Smith hopefully soon he'll get his walking papers that way we can make room for a veteran QB who actually can bal unlike this fool.

Hate to break it to you... there isn't a veteran QB who can ball on the market that is willing to come to the bay. The new coach moved up in the second round to hand pick his QB... no one planning to start for more than a season will sign with us. So it's either move on with what we have or sign a vet who can't ball.

I can't disagree more. QB's are a cocky lot and veteran QB's who can still start in the NFL especially. Their mindset is "ill roll into SF and not only bench Smith, but ima also keep that high 2nd rounder on the bench too." and if they are playing well that's exactly what would happen.

You don't take a guy out of the lineup who's playing well simply to make good on your investment. Best player plays cause winning is all that matters. I can't see Harbaugh seeing it any other way being a former QB and as ultra competitive as he is.
Originally posted by WINiner:
If anything hes doing us a favor by not participating in any activities hes a bum just like Smith hopefully soon he'll get his walking papers that way we can make room for a veteran QB who actually can bal unlike this fool.

Hate to break it to you... there isn't a veteran QB who can ball on the market that is willing to come to the bay. The new coach moved up in the second round to hand pick his QB... no one planning to start for more than a season will sign with us. So it's either move on with what we have or sign a vet who can't ball.

I can't disagree more. QB's are a cocky lot and veteran QB's who can still start in the NFL especially. Their mindset is "ill roll into SF and not only bench Smith, but ima also keep that high 2nd rounder on the bench too." and if they are playing well that's exactly what would happen.

You don't take a guy out of the lineup who's playing well simply to make good on your investment. Best player plays cause winning is all that matters. I can't see Harbaugh seeing it any other way being a former QB and as ultra competitive as he is.

Cocky or not, a QB (or any player for that matter) needs to be realistic. Unless the deal that he gets from the 49ers is substantially better, he is better off with a team without an heir apparent. Kaepernick has the inside track. Even if Smith has a great year in 2011, short of a SB win, it's still tough for him to unseat Kaepernick unless the guy screws up. Why an up-and-coming QB wants to bother with that when there are other teams still looking for a decent QB?
Originally posted by fastforward:

Cocky or not, a QB (or any player for that matter) needs to be realistic. Unless the deal that he gets from the 49ers is substantially better, he is better off with a team without an heir apparent. Kaepernick has the inside track. Even if Smith has a great year in 2011, short of a SB win, it's still tough for him to unseat Kaepernick unless the guy screws up. Why an up-and-coming QB wants to bother with that when there are other teams still looking for a decent QB?

I disagree with this, with regard to Kap taking over for Smith so easily.

If, and I mean IF, Smith has a consistent year where he starts getting the ball out quickly and accurately, doesn't cost the team a bunch of games, and most importantly wins 8-10 of them, I think he is the starter moving forward and Kapepernick has to wait it out.

While I am an Alex Smith supporter and I hope the above happens, I do concede that there is at least 50/50 shot that Kaepernick is starting by the end of the season while the team is heading to a 5-11 record.
Why would David Carr lead the workouts? He's a backup QB and will probably stay that way.
Originally posted by bigmur49:

If, and I mean IF, Smith has a consistent year where he starts getting the ball out quickly and accurately, doesn't cost the team a bunch of games, and most importantly wins 8-10 of them, I think he is the starter moving forward and Kapepernick has to wait it out.

While I am an Alex Smith supporter and I hope the above happens, I do concede that there is at least 50/50 shot that Kaepernick is starting by the end of the season while the team is heading to a 5-11 record.

Yeah it could go either way. Kap could be starting by week 10 or Alex could stick around.

Harbaugh's got some slack to work with, especially with the lockout. So to sit Kap the entire season isn't out of the question. The Niners' brass don't wanna rush Kap... they did that with Alex and it didn't turn out well.

Alex will start the season, and if the Niners want to get Kap involved if the season goes south, they might. But I don't think there's a rush this year, with the lockout going on.
Originally posted by bigmur49:

My point was not about the 2011 season and was not really about Smith and Kaepernick. It was the thought process that a FA QB would have when considering the 49ers option. Smith has the inside track to the starting job in 2011. If he falters, and Kaepernick is a stud, Harbaugh will likely try him out before relying on the FA QB. So the FA QB has to bet that both Smith and Kaepernick will fail in order for him to get a shot. Unless he has a past connection with Harbaugh, the FA QB is the odd man out. Sure, with serious efforts on his part and a *lot* of luck, he might be able to have some playing this season to prove that he is capable of wresting the future job from Kaepernick. But there are better opportunities somewhere else: the Dolphins, the Cardinals, etc. Take the Dolphins for example: Chad Henne didn't play well last year. Chad Pennington is old and injury-prone. And the Dolphins didn't pick a QB in the draft. The road to success there has a lot less obstacles. The Cardinals are also in need of a QB, and they are even more desperate. A cocky FA QB would realistically consider either the Dolphins or the Cardinals before the 49ers.
Cos he is poo.

End thread
Share 49ersWebzone