[ Edited by PTulini on Jul 2, 2011 at 8:55 PM ]
And now we wait...
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by binary2nd:
meh
Originally posted by excelsior:
I am cautiously optimistic about the coming year. Much of it has to do with Harbaugh and his staff. But part of it has to do with Alex. Just looking at the Camp Alex footage one cannot help but be struck by how Alex has changed in many ways. First, he appears much bigger and stronger. He has filled out - matured. When he came into the league he was not only 20, he was slight of build and boy-like in appearance and demeanor.

His personality has matured as well, he is the man in the room, not the boy. He's been kicked around a lot in recent years. So I think he has a chip on his shoulder and won't stand for any other offensive player slacking off or not performing.

We'll see.

meh, Ding wanted him to yell and chest-bump...he qualified that as leadership.
That's what coach sing was trying to get out of him last year, maybe it took a while but finally happened.. lets see how that affects his play.

Well, I think it also speaks to the 49ers now having a competent offensive staff. This is the first offensive-minded HC that he has had to work with since he's been in the NFL. I think in a way it has sort of rejuvinated him, and hopefully Jim Harbaugh can restore Alex's self- confidence.

I'm still hoping alex goes lights out and we end up with a mike vick, kevin kolb situation.. and have some trade bait to maybe get a passrusher or shut down corner next year, or the year after.

im hoping we end up with a drew brees phillip rivers situation instead lol.
TKO doesn't support "player organized work-outs"...

link
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

link

I been saying this for a while now camp Alex is nothing more then a good PR stunt.
Originally posted by susweel:

link

I been saying this for a while now camp Alex is nothing more then a good PR stunt.

youve been saying this for a while because

TKO aint much anymore.

Old ass thick neck Jenkins.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
TKO aint much anymore.

Old ass thick neck Jenkins.

lmfao
  • cools
  • Veteran
So getting familiar with the new playbook, and helping others to do so was a PR stunt eh? c'mon man

The only thing i agreed with from Spikes comments, was the unfair negative image the media and message boards like this were using against players who didnt show up

I have no problem with any players that didnt show up, as any injury incurred could end your carreer with zero compensataion

But to bash the QB for getting the offense together to learn the system?

when the Niners do start camp, the offense will at least have an idea of whats going on, how can that not be a positive thing?
[ Edited by cools on Jul 6, 2011 at 11:44 PM ]
Originally posted by cools:
So getting familiar with the new playbook, and helping others to do so was a PR stunt eh? c'mon man

The only thing i agreed with from Spikes comments, was the unfair negative image the media and message boards like this were using against players who didnt show up

I have no problem with any players that didnt show up, as any injury incurred could end your carreer with zero compensataion

But to bash the QB for getting the offense together to learn the system?

when the Niners do start camp, the offense will at least have an idea of whats going on, how can that not be a positive thing?

I agree. I'm also not sure Spikes understands the chemistry a QB needs with the offense (especially receivers).

link

Inside LB, a veteran, been on the team for how many years? No, he likely doesn't need to get a feel for the D, but as a24hrdad said, he doesn't understand the QB-WR relationship. Many players do not see that but most good and great QBs and WRs practice on their own, not just in training camp. They take every opportunity to get together and discuss plays and options.

TKO is still one of my favorites though and he was playing quite well last year. Can't believe he can still cover at his age...at 34 he should be slowing down a bit.
Kinda stupid there, TKO. I get and agree with you that "every player should be off their arse and keeping in shape on their own".... No problem there.

However, when you have a brand new offense being implemented? Those guys will greatly benefit from working together in the film room and on the field. When Harbaugh and Roman get their hands on them, they will already have a decent blueprint in their heads... a better understanding of the scheme terminology... and some on-field chemistry with teammates.

Since we don't really know what these players not showing up are going through in their private lives? Sure, we shouldn't judge too harshly... but we have every right to feel disappointment in their lack of participation.
[ Edited by oldman9er on Jul 7, 2011 at 7:51 AM ]
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by binary2nd:
meh
Originally posted by excelsior:
I am cautiously optimistic about the coming year. Much of it has to do with Harbaugh and his staff. But part of it has to do with Alex. Just looking at the Camp Alex footage one cannot help but be struck by how Alex has changed in many ways. First, he appears much bigger and stronger. He has filled out - matured. When he came into the league he was not only 20, he was slight of build and boy-like in appearance and demeanor.

His personality has matured as well, he is the man in the room, not the boy. He's been kicked around a lot in recent years. So I think he has a chip on his shoulder and won't stand for any other offensive player slacking off or not performing.

We'll see.

meh, Ding wanted him to yell and chest-bump...he qualified that as leadership.
That's what coach sing was trying to get out of him last year, maybe it took a while but finally happened.. lets see how that affects his play.

Well, I think it also speaks to the 49ers now having a competent offensive staff. This is the first offensive-minded HC that he has had to work with since he's been in the NFL. I think in a way it has sort of rejuvinated him, and hopefully Jim Harbaugh can restore Alex's self- confidence.

I'm still hoping alex goes lights out and we end up with a mike vick, kevin kolb situation.. and have some trade bait to maybe get a passrusher or shut down corner next year, or the year after.

im hoping we end up with a drew brees phillip rivers situation instead lol.

good point.

As far as TKO, I respect the man, but dude has never been on a winning team, so he shouldn't be saying "what is helpful" at all since he has ever experienced full team success.

link

thus why it's been coined camp alex.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by lamontb:

link

thus why it's been coined camp alex.

Give me a break! It's been stated over and over that Harbaugh and Smith agreed to do these things long before any media attention was gained. Harbaugh gave Smith all the necessities to coach this camp. This was more of Harbaugh putting his trust in Smith to do what he can. And by all the players responses thus far they have learned a lot and are excited to play in this offense. Ask VD, Morgan, Crabtree they all say that they learned some nuances of the offense.

This was "coined" camp Alex because he organized the whole thing, when there was no football to be found. This probably would've never happened without Alex.

What about before "Camp Alex?" When Alex was still out there playing catch with Morgan, Jurovich and other OL? That must have been a PR stunt as well.

Am I wrong here?
Share 49ersWebzone