LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

Team Workouts Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
im glad alex smith is doing all this and everything but i feel like he lacks the "a-hole" part that it takes to be a great quarterback. i like what iv read about colin K. bout how he is always out to prove everyone wrong that has always doubted him and when he is on the field and gets competetive that he becomes a monster. i believe that is a key part to being a quarterback. sometimes i feel like alex smith is too nice and lacks that part. im excited for both AS and CK from what iv been hearing there doing this off season tho.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by susweel:
Leadership is measured when your down 4 points with 3 minutes left in the game and you get the W. Right now this is nothing more then a practice organizer.

Your example is certainly an exemplar of leadership but not the only measurement. Montana pointing out John Candy, Joe Capp getting off the turf after being hammered to lead the team to a TD, Smith teaching a room full of 9ers the new playbook at his own expense on his own time. There are many ways to show leadership and the last small example is welcome, if not completely convincing. You are correct that Smith will need to win in order to complete the picture.

I agree with your assessment it is a form of leadership. But to us fans the only form of leadership is that of leading our team to wins. Right now this is all a kind of a window dressing that we have seen before in previous off seasons.
Leadership is measured when your down 4 points with 3 minutes left in the game and you get the W. Right now this is nothing more then a practice organizer.

LOL okay ray ratto..
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

LOL okay ray ratto..

Is Gore participating in these workouts now?
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

LOL okay ray ratto..

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Harbaugh52:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

LOL okay ray ratto..

Personal attack.......lol
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by nevadalove9ers2:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by eastie:
Originally posted by nevadalove9ers2:

Your right, the player has yet to show any true leadership.

Quote:

Clearly, the two of you are not leaders. If you were you would know that instigating an orgainzed activity such as AS has done, is leadership in action. Leadership comes in many ways, this being one of them.
Who cares if he organized a camp? A second string QB could have had the leadership to do this, that does not make him a good QB or an improved QB. He's also desperate to save face on his embarrassing career. I am rooting for him to do well but all of this excitement over Alex Smiths recently discovered scrotum is not only stupid because it means little on the field, but we've been fooled by this exact same rhetoric last year and we started out 0-5

The player is being a good team mate. The player is not in the long term future of the team. CK is who the fans should be focusing on, he is our future. Its good to see CK Skipping this rookie crap so he can start taking control of his team.
I join with all who hope that 10 years from now Colin Kaepernick will be sporting a Super Bowl ring or two as the 49er QB. However, there is a LOT of wishful thinking going on right now.

This year was acknowledged as being a down year for college QBs and CK was only the 6th best drafted this season. Looking at history, the odds of someone other than a #1 draft pick, or someone in the top 5 at his position, getting to the Super Bowl, or even the Pro Bowl are not very good.

In short, we can hope all we want, and hope springs eternal, but based on history, we should avoid disappointment but not setting our hopes too high. Let's see how long it actually takes him to get on the field before we get all over ourselves.

Cool. We still are exited to see him play. He has a wicked arm and is known for leadership. Being a fan is always about finding that next great QB. I'm not saying we have him in CK, but it is going to be fun watching him grow and play. This board will go nuts during pre season if Kaep shows some ability.

Your example is certainly an exemplar of leadership but not the only measurement. Montana pointing out John Candy, Joe Capp getting off the turf after being hammered to lead the team to a TD, Smith teaching a room full of 9ers the new playbook at his own expense on his own time. There are many ways to show leadership and the last small example is welcome, if not completely convincing. You are correct that Smith will need to win in order to complete the picture.

I agree with your assessment it is a form of leadership. But to us fans the only form of leadership is that of leading our team to wins. Right now this is all a kind of a window dressing that we have seen before in previous off seasons.

well right now thats all your going to be able to get outta Alex. we all should have the wait and see attitude without having to bash him. At least we know he didnt blow his signing bonus away. Alex is doing what he has to do to stay here on this team. He is expected to start but dont get it twisted i know that JH will bench his tail if it is needed. I'm not a big Alex fan myself but considering the situation with the lockout. its actually the smartest for both the team and Alex.
Originally posted by SF4EVA:

well right now thats all your going to be able to get outta Alex. we all should have the wait and see attitude without having to bash him. At least we know he didnt blow his signing bonus away. Alex is doing what he has to do to stay here on this team. He is expected to start but dont get it twisted i know that JH will bench his tail if it is needed. I'm not a big Alex fan myself but considering the situation with the lockout. its actually the smartest for both the team and Alex.

I agree, all is speculation for the moment. If this leadership/teaching gig is helpful for Smith then great. If it helps him, and the team, and Kap then great again. Hopefully the CBS will get settled and we can then see if there is any improvement. Until then all is speculation, positive and negative but still speculation.

is there any video yet of the practices
Originally posted by DONBIS:
is there any video yet of the practices

http://www.csnbayarea.com/pages/ninersvideo#
Originally posted by Harbaugh52:
Is Gore participating in these workouts now?

Don't think so.... I would think Gore is on his own in Miami with some of the U players. He is always in shape and works harder than almost anyone so no need to worry about him. His chemistry is great with Alex although he might want to catch a few from Kap. Then again not a whole lot of chemistry needed to catch out of the backfield.

As for the defense I am a little worried nobody got them all together. I know a lot are working out on there own but so far I have seen Justin Smith (guy looks bigger than ever), Parys Haralson, Aldon Smith (in the first camp?), and a couple of other guys. I doubt the defense needs chemistry like the offense does but they could still get together and go against a live offense. All I seen is those few guys running and doing a few different exercises. Nothing really dealing with game situations or movements.

P.S. Does anyone know who those guys next to Parys Haralson at 49 seconds into this video? They look like they play for San Jose State, they look like average joes????

6.28: 49ers Camp Alex -- practice footage (6th video right now) cant directly link
http://www.csnbayarea.com/pages/ninersvideo#

[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jun 29, 2011 at 23:51:58 ]
Listening to a Barrows interview with KNBR. http://www.knbr.com/portals/3/podcasts/razormrt/0629barrows.mp3

- discussing Crabtree's situation with attitude and lack of participation. Barrows claims Crabtree told him, "you guys are just making that foot stuff up, I'm fine." Says Crabtree obviously hates talking to the media. Is Crabtree a jerk? "uh... yeah, he certainly doesn't like talking to media" Says he was frustrated by the QB back-n-forth changes last year.

- who started calling these practices "Camp Alex"? MB thinks the players started it, but then said he thinks perhaps Maiocco coined the term. Discusses the appreciation of all that Alex has been doing to get the practices functional.

- would Alex be in SF if not for lockout? Harbaugh had a number of possibilities. He went over the tape, and there was something there on film that attracted him to Alex.

- thoughts on Kap? "big, tall, put on some muscle... rifle arm, athletic..." expects Jim to find a way to put him on the field in certain situations.

- what will they really get outta these camps? It's all been about routes and passing... the arrangement, terminology, and familiarization so they won't be starting at square one. Thinks they are valuable.

- discusses how much we need to sign Baas. Talks about the playbooks that these guys have and yet still may not be 49ers this year. No control over where these playbooks may end up... calculated risk from Harbaugh.