LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

Who is our starting qb next season and how do we get him?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who is our starting qb next season and how do we get him?

Originally posted by excelsior:
Fresno State is in the middle of their spring practices. A Fresno TV station was there and interviewed David Carr. Carr's younger brother will be Fresno's starting QB this year. During the interview, Carr said he is looking forward to starting for the 49ers this year.

what else did you expect him to say?

I know that if he had said "I hope I don't get released!" or "I hope I can hold onto the back-up spot if Coach Harbaugh drafts a rookie and brings in a vet like we all expect him to" would be more accurate / honest but seriously Carr would be finished with the Jim H if he said that.
I think the 49ers will draft a QB in the 2011 draft - probably 2nd round as most people think. I hope that the front office settles on which Qb they want to go for and trade up to get them. Whether thats Ponder / Dalton et al in the late 1st or early 2nd or even if they jump back into the first round to get Gabbet if he is dropping I don't care.

Basically, I think the front office should target their man and go get him. This team has been messing about trying to find a serviceable QB ever since Garcia left and enough is enough. Its worth trading up to get the player Jim Harbaugh and the coaching staff want to run the offence in the future.

I don't think that there is a QB in this draft that you would want to start from day one (given the option) and this team needs to obtain its offensive personality early (and often) rather than experience rookie growing pains. draft a qb (or two) and sit them, coach them and bring them along gently in my view and then reap the reward in years 2 or 3.

Not surprisingly I think the team should start a vet. Again, not surprisingly I don't think Carr is the answer to that question and any vet QB brought in would need to learn Jim Harbaugh's offence (including Alex Smith (arrghh, I know I said those dreaded words)) I would prefer to go with a QB who has experience of the WCO.

This makes me lean away from Alex Smith (do I hear the sounds of breathe being exhaled) and towards WCO experienced vets like Hasselbeck and McNabb. Palmer comes into the equation after that but I would back away from Kolb because the price is too high (Philly has been offered a 1st rd draft pick already apparently - hello Seattle!!) for a relatively unproven commodity.

Personally, I would go with McNabb since he has something to prove after he gets cut in Washington and has the WCO experience necessary to make the 49ers something to be feared on offence. McNabb could start and help tutor a rookie to replace him in a year or two.

I think you could also get McNabb as an UFA when Washington cut him (so you don't burn a draft pick and have to restructure his deal) but if a new CBA was in place I think you could get McNabb for a 4th or 5th rounder. (Palmer I think is a 2nd rounder in 2012 (probably) and he'd be my back up plan if McNabb and Hasslebeck could not be acquired.)

Personally, I would target Gabbert late 1st if he fell into the 20s by moving up with my 2nd rounder in 2011 and 2012 but failing that I would move up in the 2nd round to get Ponder or Dalton. I'd be tempted to take Greg McElroy as well in the 2011 draft with my late 5th or early 6th since I think he has the ability to be a very good WCO QB.

I'd let Smith walk - and I'd cut David Carr to end up with something like:

1. McNabb / Hasslebeck
2. Ponder / Dalton (2nd round and 4th round picks packaged to move up to top of 2nd)
3. McElroy (5th round)

if your vet QB went down injured you'd still have two young QBs that you could season with some experience or you could then look at trading for a Josh Johnson type QB to help out.
Originally posted by British9er:
I think the 49ers will draft a QB in the 2011 draft - probably 2nd round as most people think. I hope that the front office settles on which Qb they want to go for and trade up to get them. Whether thats Ponder / Dalton et al in the late 1st or early 2nd or even if they jump back into the first round to get Gabbet if he is dropping I don't care.

Basically, I think the front office should target their man and go get him. This team has been messing about trying to find a serviceable QB ever since Garcia left and enough is enough. Its worth trading up to get the player Jim Harbaugh and the coaching staff want to run the offence in the future.

I don't think that there is a QB in this draft that you would want to start from day one (given the option) and this team needs to obtain its offensive personality early (and often) rather than experience rookie growing pains. draft a qb (or two) and sit them, coach them and bring them along gently in my view and then reap the reward in years 2 or 3.

Not surprisingly I think the team should start a vet. Again, not surprisingly I don't think Carr is the answer to that question and any vet QB brought in would need to learn Jim Harbaugh's offence (including Alex Smith (arrghh, I know I said those dreaded words)) I would prefer to go with a QB who has experience of the WCO.

This makes me lean away from Alex Smith (do I hear the sounds of breathe being exhaled) and towards WCO experienced vets like Hasselbeck and McNabb. Palmer comes into the equation after that but I would back away from Kolb because the price is too high (Philly has been offered a 1st rd draft pick already apparently - hello Seattle!!) for a relatively unproven commodity.

Personally, I would go with McNabb since he has something to prove after he gets cut in Washington and has the WCO experience necessary to make the 49ers something to be feared on offence. McNabb could start and help tutor a rookie to replace him in a year or two.

I think you could also get McNabb as an UFA when Washington cut him (so you don't burn a draft pick and have to restructure his deal) but if a new CBA was in place I think you could get McNabb for a 4th or 5th rounder. (Palmer I think is a 2nd rounder in 2012 (probably) and he'd be my back up plan if McNabb and Hasslebeck could not be acquired.)

Personally, I would target Gabbert late 1st if he fell into the 20s by moving up with my 2nd rounder in 2011 and 2012 but failing that I would move up in the 2nd round to get Ponder or Dalton. I'd be tempted to take Greg McElroy as well in the 2011 draft with my late 5th or early 6th since I think he has the ability to be a very good WCO QB.

1. McNabb / Hasslebeck
2. Ponder / Dalton (2nd round and 4th round picks packaged to move up to top of 2nd)
3. McElroy (5th round)

if your vet QB went down injured you'd still have two young QBs that you could season with some experience or you could then look at trading for a Josh Johnson type QB to help out.

Absolutely Perfect British9er! you have have taken the words right out of my mouth and I didn't have to type all of that. Love the QB breakdown, it all makes sense. Even bringing in Josh Johnson Under Mcnabb and Ponder would make a lot of sense. I also think McElroy would be a good late pick. It just depends on what falls to us. With the first QB we draft I say absolutely trade what you must to go and get him. I think with the #7 pick we let it fall to us. Take the BPA. Peterson or Miller or Quinn or Fairley, assuming Gabbert is gone and the price was too steep. One of these tops guys will fill a huge need. Then trade back up for Ponder or Dalton. Just get it done if that's who they like. I like both guys but think it's Dalton. If they do what they must in the draft that can allow them to breath easier in free agency. Mcnabb is great and comes cheap either way.
lol @ Mcnabb being "great".
Originally posted by binary2nd:

Yes Sir, Mcnabb is a great pick up for a team in need of veteran leadership... For a team in need of a WCO QB... For a team needing a QB to show our soon to be drafted rookie QB's how the NFL works... Our team has not made the playoffs in years. We have not had a great QB since Young and a servicable QB since Garcia. I can't think of any other QB on the trade market or in Free Agency that has his resume. Would be GREAT to add a QB that knows what it takes to get to a SUPERBOWL... or multiple NFC Championships... or consistently in the playoffs... or one that has played in one of the toughest divisions and held his ground. Yeah, I think it would be a great pickup to add to our team.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:

Yes Sir, Mcnabb is a great pick up for a team in need of veteran leadership... For a team in need of a WCO QB... For a team needing a QB to show our soon to be drafted rookie QB's how the NFL works... Our team has not made the playoffs in years.

Keep living in fantasy land. I don't like old, fat, dumb, injury-prone, inaccurate QBs who have been pushed out by two of the best QB gurus in NFL history...I'd rather have Hasselbeck.

[ Edited by binary2nd on Mar 30, 2011 at 10:42:28 ]

Yes Sir, Mcnabb is a great pick up for a team in need of veteran leadership... For a team in need of a WCO QB... For a team needing a QB to show our soon to be drafted rookie QB's how the NFL works... Our team has not made the playoffs in years.

Keep living in fantasy land. I don't like old, fat, dumb, injury-prone, inaccurate QBs who have been pushed out by two of the best QB gurus in NFL history...I'd rather have Hasselbeck.

Beggars can't be choosers. We have to get a QB first. Either McNabb or Hasselbeck would be a significant upgrade at the QB position and neither would be a long-term option, so its really immaterial (+/- 1 or 2 games).
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Beggars can't be choosers. We have to get a QB first. Either McNabb or Hasselbeck would be a significant upgrade at the QB position and neither would be a long-term option, so its really immaterial (+/- 1 or 2 games).

Neither Mcnabb or Hasselbeck are as good as Alex right now, but both are an upgrade over Carr. Of course both are a significant upgrade over Carr, but that's setting the bar very low.
GO SMITH!!!! Dalton in the 2nd and devlin in the 6th!

Hasselback would be good as well but i don't know if we will get him. Not trying to live in Fantasyland but there are only so many options. Have to be realistic with whats available. I would love to say trade for Drew Brees and draft Ponder in the 2nd without giving up picks, get J. Johnson as a backup and draft patrick Peterson at #7... SuperBowl!!!
It's not going to happen. Mcnabb had a bad year but if he had stayed in Philly he would have led them to the playoffs for another year. You have to agree that Mcnabb had nothing to work with in Washington and had to learn a new system. That being said, yes Mcnabb and Hasselback would be upgrades and definately better than ALEX. Alex most significant wins are at the end of the season playing spoiler to teams trying to squeak into the playoffs. That's it. He's never won a meaningful game. Even if Harbaugh can work a miracle how far does he advance him. to 8-8 winning the NFC West. The bar isn't very high and he has shown no glimmer of hope to be something special.

we should Draft a qb in 2nd not 1st and trade for one but not give up a 1st for the trade

Ponder in the 2nd round...meaning we still get Patrick Peterson in the 1st.

Winning.....

[ Edited by Hitman49 on Mar 30, 2011 at 14:53:20 ]
Originally posted by Hitman49:

Ponder in the 2nd round...meaning we still get Patrick Peterson in the 1st.

Winning.....

hes not ready to start yet he will need at least 1 year of sidelines
Originally posted by British9er:

1. McNabb / Hasslebeck
3. McElroy (5th round)

Absolutely Perfect British9er! you have have taken the words right out of my mouth and I didn't have to type all of that. Love the QB breakdown, it all makes sense. Even bringing in Josh Johnson Under Mcnabb and Ponder would make a lot of sense. I also think McElroy would be a good late pick. It just depends on what falls to us. With the first QB we draft I say absolutely trade what you must to go and get him. I think with the #7 pick we let it fall to us. Take the BPA. Peterson or Miller or Quinn or Fairley, assuming Gabbert is gone and the price was too steep. One of these tops guys will fill a huge need. Then trade back up for Ponder or Dalton. Just get it done if that's who they like. I like both guys but think it's Dalton. If they do what they must in the draft that can allow them to breath easier in free agency. Mcnabb is great and comes cheap either way.

thanks - glad we agree.

I'd take Peterson or Miller @ 7 and if they are not there then I would trade down and look to pick up another 2nd round this year or next. I think the Niners could trade back to teens / early 20s and still have a decent shot at Gabbert, Newton, Colorado CB Jimmy-something-or-other (name escapes me), Prince Ak, Quinn or Julio Jones WR and still have enough to get the QB they want in the 2nd.
McNabb>Hasslebeck
Share 49ersWebzone