LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 240 users in the forums

Expectations for the 2011 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by excelsior:
I am astonished at these outlooks. Being delighted at the firing of Sing and the hiring of Harbaugh, and the replacement of DC and OC coordinators, and they still do not expect the 2011 record to be any better than this year. Huh? What gives?

You have to consider the CBA impact, plus a new system being implemented on offense. Sometimes it takes a year of two for the transition to new coaches to show results. I hope I am being overly causious in my assesment I think Jim will get it turned around I just don't know how quickly to expect those results
Originally posted by crabman82:
we'll finish tied for first in the league, 0-0 cus there wont be a season

There will be a season, but we might only have two weeks to get ready for it. It depends how long it takes for the CBA to be resolved.
  • dj43
I am astonished at these outlooks. Being delighted at the firing of Sing and the hiring of Harbaugh, and the replacement of DC and OC coordinators, and they still do not expect the 2011 record to be any better than this year. Huh? What gives?
If we had the same team back but with JH and new staff, I would expect 7-9, maybe 8-8. However, unless Baalke is willing to part with a high draft pick, I don't see any available QBs out there that will be appreciably better than what we had this year.

I don't expect the playoffs until 2012. I hope I am wrong but my head tells me I'm not.
I agree, too many factors (CBA, no QB, implementing a new offensive scheme,etc) involved, to really expect too much.

But I am very hopeful for an exciting season.

Just as long as we progress and see improvement regardless of the record, then we'll know that things are headed in the right direction.
Originally posted by modninerfan:
At this point and time 4-12... no qb at all and a new system. Low expectations are easier on the heart.

I hope we do better than that, but hey it would probably net us Andrew Luck.
Basically, we need to get Luck somehow.

1.Trading for a another teams first round pick for next year(a team who we think will be the worst team),

2.Sucking worst than everyone next year somehow.

If we had Singletary, number 2 would be easily attainable, but I don't think it will be this year. I think number 1 would be the best way.
I'm in the it will all come down to the CBA camp.

If CBA gets resolved in a timely matter than I don't see any reason for us to not be in the hunt for the playoffs.

The Seahawks had a ton of roster turnover and a new coaching staff and they were able to eke out the playoffs and a playoff win to boot so I don't see any reason we can't do the same especially considering we're a more talented team than they were.

One positive is we're sticking to a 3-4 defense so it's not like it'll be a huge transition on that side of the ball.

On the offensive side of the ball Harbaugh runs a physical power run game style of WCO which we're already mostly built for so any QB we bring in will be protected with a running game and everything won't be dumped on their shoulders especially if they are a rookie.

So if the CBA is in place I expect a rough first half but I think the team can come on strong on the second half once everything sinks in more and starts to click.
  • BobS
  • Veteran

No kidding, people act like the roster is getting gutted. As bad as the team was in 2010 with being undisciplined and out coached we better pick up some wins. Like it is going to be hard to "replace" Alex Smith, any department store mannequin will do.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by smithgdwg:

1.Trading for a another teams first round pick for next year(a team who we think will be the worst team),

If we had Singletary, number 2 would be easily attainable, but I don't think it will be this year. I think number 1 would be the best way.

is wrong w/ you?
Originally posted by BobS:

No kidding, people act like the roster is getting gutted. As bad as the team was in 2010 with being undisciplined and out coached we better pick up some wins. Like it is going to be hard to "replace" Alex Smith, any department store mannequin will do.

Originally posted by Maui9er:
Worst case, no CBA, no OTAs, and no training camp. 2011 offense>2010 offense, 2011 defense> 2010 defense, and 2011 special teams> then 2010 special teams.

1978 2&12 record and BAD football on all fronts. 1979 Bill Walsh's first year, 2&12 record, but exciting football and total turn around. 1980 6&10 and exciting football, and you could see things changing big time. 1981 SUPER BOWL!!!

2011, 49ers play better football on all fronts!!!..........

This post show just how ignorant you are.
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by smithgdwg:

is wrong w/ you?

You don't like Luck?
look...this past season we had big time expectations and....WE FAILED MISERABLY

i refuse to set myself up for disappointment this time around and i'm sure the players that stick around will also be of the mindset and understanding that nothing is handed to you...who gives a shat about "expert" analysis and predictions...

i'm truly happy to go into the offseason with zero expectations, and zero talk about playoffs...this team was thinking about the playoffs before week1 in 2010...this team was thinking about playoffs at 0-5, at 1-6, and so on, all the way up to the point st. louis eliminated them from contention...playoffs was the theme dating back to the end of '08...with all the talk of playoffs and how the NFC west was so ripe for the taking, this team had no chance of focusing solely on the task at hand, week in and week out...

to zero expectations to the new regime to all the unknowns and to the "Whats Your Deal" showdowns we get to be a part of in the coming years

oh and F the seacocks!!!
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

This post show just how ignorant you are.

I am ignorant because I don't think it will be hard to replace Alex Smith? Isn't that a personal attack?
Share 49ersWebzone