There are 172 users in the forums

All this talk about HC...who will be our QB??

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Another major factor - a QB now has the prospect of working for an offensive HC. So it no longer matters as much if we shed a offensive coordinator, as Harbaugh will have a lot of input on our playing style, and will know what he means when he does it - unlike Singletary. And I'd guess he's gonna be given at least 3 years with it being a 5 year deal - and hopefully he'll be here longer. As that would mean this chase has been justified.

By all accounts Harbaugh is ridiculously well prepared, and watching the bowl game the other night impressed me.

Admittedly some of the line shifts wouldn't confuse NFL opponents the same way they worked the other night - but they may work against the NFC West. :) But he has a willingness to be innovative. And has his teams prepare 300 plays for each game - at college level.

We have been in the NFL level and been watching a coach that would like to use 1 play repeatedly.

I read some where earlier that Harbaugh has previously given spot on draft analysis on QBs that have been drafted well down the draft like Romo - and even if we don't use pick #7 on a QB I'll trust that he knows what he's doing.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by AlexSmith11:
Originally posted by sgtkamai:
Simple. Extend Alex Smith.

agreed

I don't think it's a bad idea under Harbaugh. He's not the same QB developer of Dingleberry and NoWin. The thing is if we bring in a rookie or a castoff FA we could be 3 - 13. Honestly I think Alex can get us 8 - 8 next year. With Harbaugh's coaching we can maybe squeeze out 9 - 7 and buy a year to develop a rookie or whoever we bring in. Really we could be worse if we let Alex go and as crazy as it sounds it must be considered. I can't emphasize how much better of a QB developer Harbaugh is.

Can't do it.

Why?

I agree with what you're saying, but thinking about going 8-8 with Alex at QB will result to more boo'ing on the field. I'm expecting Alex to want a fresh start in a new city, and he did say "it's good to have a say in where I want to be" or something like that when they asked him about where he's going next season.

It might not even be the franchises choice to resign him, it might be Alex choosing his own path.

[ Edited by verb1der on Jan 7, 2011 at 18:47:37 ]
It really stuns me that people want to see more Alex Smith.

[ Edited by corriv on Jan 7, 2011 at 18:48:12 ]
  • 49ers
  • Veteran
Originally posted by niners_guy:
Luck...

See here

Very, very interesting... hmm... I say I hope that Trent, Jim and Andrew are aware of this 'loophole'...
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Originally posted by JDog:
Lets nab McNabb!

If we're going to go the veteran caretaker route that might make sense, provided McNabb is able to renegotiate his contract with the Skins. Currently, he's a bit spendy for what you get.

Mcnabb is not accurate. And he is having trouble learning Shanahans version of the west coast.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Josh Johnson

Could smith be developed?

I really think Smith could be developed. Harbaugh is what he always needed from the beginning. Do you really want to line up with some rookie and go 2 - 14. Obviously Alex is better than any rookie at this point.

Obvious to who? All the buffoons out there?

Smith is like DeBerg was to the Niners (if you were even around those days) . . . except worse . . . much, MUCH worse. Like Walsh said about DeBerg: He does just enough to lose you the game. Smith is a loser; he'd be a cancer on this team.

I'd be hugely surprised if they sign him. Certainly, I'd be off the Baalke bandwagon if they did. The team needs to bury the rotten eggs of the past and let in some fresh air.

You guys who keep advocating him, just don't get it. It's pathetic. Just let it go.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Kyle orton easily.

Kyle Orton is the guy that we can bring in pick up this scheme fast and then groom a qb for the future.

Vince Young I believe has a winning record so I would consider him, not sure if Harbaugh will scale down the complexity of this offense for him.

Kevin Kolb is probably a good option for us, but Reid will keep two Qbs for next year and not make this trade.

Mcnabb cannot even learn Shanahans Offense.

Alex Smith is smart but is he accurate?
Originally posted by GORO:
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Originally posted by JDog:
Lets nab McNabb!

If we're going to go the veteran caretaker route that might make sense, provided McNabb is able to renegotiate his contract with the Skins. Currently, he's a bit spendy for what you get.

Mcnabb is not accurate. And he is having trouble learning Shanahans version of the west coast.

He didn't seem to have trouble with Andy Reid's offense. BTW, when McNabb had good WR's in 2009 he had a 3,500 yard, 22 TD and 10 Int season.
Originally posted by GORO:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Kyle orton easily.

Kyle Orton is the guy that we can bring in pick up this scheme fast and then groom a qb for the future.

Vince Young I believe has a winning record so I would consider him, not sure if Harbaugh will scale down the complexity of this offense for him.

Kevin Kolb is probably a good option for us, but Reid will keep two Qbs for next year and not make this trade.

Mcnabb cannot even learn Shanahans Offense.

Alex Smith is smart but is he accurate?

Kyle Orton is under contract.....not going anywhere I would think.

Mcnabb could be decent since he got shat on and will want to prove himself.

Bulger???

Tavares Jackson?

Flynn??

I would rather draft someone ......Maybe Kolb??
We can bring in Tim Rattay so that he can break his own franchise passing record again.

Jake Locker!!!!
I'm all for bringing in Carson Palmer
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Josh Johnson

Could smith be developed?

I really think Smith could be developed. Harbaugh is what he always needed from the beginning. Do you really want to line up with some rookie and go 2 - 14. Obviously Alex is better than any rookie at this point.

Obvious to who? All the buffoons out there?

Smith is like DeBerg was to the Niners (if you were even around those days) . . . except worse . . . much, MUCH worse. Like Walsh said about DeBerg: He does just enough to lose you the game. Smith is a loser; he'd be a cancer on this team.

I'd be hugely surprised if they sign him. Certainly, I'd be off the Baalke bandwagon if they did. The team needs to bury the rotten eggs of the past and let in some fresh air.

You guys who keep advocating him, just don't get it. It's pathetic. Just let it go.

If he is the best out there then we should consider it. What is pathetic is guys that have no clue trying to act like they are experts. The main problem with this team was coaching that didn't understand how to use talent, whereas that is supposedly one of Harbaughs strengths. If he wants Smith, and if Smith would still want to play here, I wouldn't have a problem with it. He is a better option than McNabb, Young and Orton.
it doesnt matter right now...i'm gonna enjoy this and the games this weekend...i no longer feel like i know better than the coach.....what a relief
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Wait. I thought we grabbed Harbaugh to PLAY QB. What the deuce?!?
Share 49ersWebzone