LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 405 users in the forums

Latest info from Jason Laconfora

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by mayo49:
If we don't get Harbaugh, Billick would be a nice fall back.

Agreed. If we must fall back I'd prefer Billick to Schottenheimer or Mularkey.
Being able to develop QBs is a fine quality no doubt but it shouldn't be only criteria or even the main criteria for who we should hire as a head coach. I mean we're looking for a head coach not a QB coach or an OC. There is a lot more to job than developing a QB.

And it's not to say guys like Mornhinweg might not be capable candidates but we should be seriously be looking at them based on if they can command the respect of the players, their ability to build a staff and bring in quality people on both sides of the ball, and their overall knowledge of football not just their ability to develop a QB.

I still favor Harbaugh as my number one guy because I think he can do everything that I mentioned above but I don't think Billick/Lewis combo is a terrible fallback option.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

RETREAD CITY
anyone else think la canforas head is wayyy too small for the rest of his body?
I think if those three things came to be we'd be looking pretty damn good.

Brian Billick is a good HC with a ring to show for it. He has a positive win to loss ratio and his team made the playoffs 4 times including a super bowl win. Along with that 6 of his coordinators became head coaches and 4 of them are still head coaches. That shows that he is able to put a very good staff together and talented coaches are eager to work on his staff.

Marvin Lewis was the DC in charge of that great Ravens defense that won the SB. His defenses with the Bengals we're quite good also leading the league in turnovers in atleast one season that I remember.

Carson Palmer is still a franchise QB. Having Chad and TO as your primary receivers isn't as good as it looks on paper and it's not a big surprise that Palmer had his best game of the season last week when both of them were out of the game (against a very good defense that had a lot to lose).

Bringing in Palmer also allows you to focus on other areas in the draft. Luck is almost certain to be gone by the time we draft (Even if it's #2) and after him things aren't as exciting. You can wait and find a guy to develop a little later in the draft and instead pull in a defensive stud like Peterson or whoever.

With all that said Hasrbaugh is still my top choice and I believe he's the 49ers top choice regardless of whot he GM is. The question is are we going to be his top choice. If he has NFL ambitions you would beleive that the 49ers would be a tough option to pass. The team is local to where he already is so he wouldn't even have to relocate. The team is loaded with talent and has a high draft pick to fill the one glaring hole, QB.

We'll have to see how it all plays out over the next week or so.

Guess that means TROY SMITH is staying.
How long to you think Lewis would stick around as a DC before getting another HC gig? Seems like it might be a great interim fix, but our inability to hold onto coordinators has burned us before.
Originally posted by thedude:
How long to you think Lewis would stick around as a DC before getting another HC gig? Seems like it might be a great interim fix, but our inability to hold onto coordinators has burned us before.

maybe thats why we stopped trying to get legit co-ordinators, cus we know thy'll leave after the year haha

• crzy
  • Hall of Fame
A Brian Billick/Marvin Lewis combo would be great. Particularly if we can get a good offensive coordinator, then trade for McNabb.
i would like the harbaugh fangio combo. Fangio has been an nfl d-coordinator and assitant with the ravens. I would prefer a harbaugh/marvin lewis combo though. We would own with that combo.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

RETREAD CITY

Because the non-retread guys were so good....Erickson....Nolan... Singletary...
Originally posted by crzy:
A Brian Billick/Marvin Lewis combo would be great. Particularly if we can get a good offensive coordinator, then trade for McNabb.

Billick calls his own plays so not much need for an offensive coordinator. No to McTubb
billick =
Share 49ersWebzone