LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

Latest info from Jason Laconfora

Shop Find 49ers gear online
At least when Billick would do our games he would question what the hell the offense was doing not throwin or attempting to get the ball to recievers down field lol.. Especially Vernon Davis ..ill take him lol
Originally posted by footballxpaul:
billick =

Got a ring. What does Harbaugh Have?
Boring!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by foreign49er:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by ninerfan21:
Harbaugh is by far my 1st choice. If we can't get him I definitely wouldn't mind a Billick/Lewis combo as HC and DC, as long as he brings in a strong OC and they go get a good QB

This

Hey mayo49, how many days until the draft?

What day is it on?
I think Billick would AN excellent option, IF we could get him. I stress the "AN" and "IF".

Most people here seem to have a "Harbaugh or bust" attitude, or perhaps "Gruden or bust". They also kind of believe that if we get neither it will be because the team rejected them rather than the other way round. Now, I'm one of those who have Gruden as their dream scenario (my thoughts on Harbaugh are further down) but Billick would be a great and more likely hire. In any case. gunning for just one candidate is a very poor way of hiring staff in any business. Not only is it risky but it also makes the business setup look amateurish and hodge-podge and scares other decent candidates away. This team have done incredibly idiotic things when it comes to personnel in the last decade: promoting a HC after half a season without waiting to see who else was available, promoting an OC on the strength of his laminated play diagrams, promoting a geriatric fossil for OC after every other candidate had run away in terror after seeing the mess this team is in, now this sham search for a GM. It is UNLIKELY that Harbaugh, or Gruden, or any other huge profile candidate would want to come to this basket case of an NFL franchise. And even if the Yorks suddenly were metamorphosed into Dan Snyder and paid them gazillions to come, it would be still unlikely that they would succeed. Do you reckon that Shanahan magically turned into a moron this year, or is his failure perhaps due to him (trying to) coach one of the two most disfunctional franchises in the NFC? You can bribe a high profile HC into joining you but you can't buy him success.

And now to Harbaugh. OK, let's say we convince him (="bribe him with a massive contract") to forsake college FB, either at Stanford where he is a hero, or at his struggling alma mater (anybody's dream job I would think), and come to a mess of a franchise in the fishbowl of the NFL, ahead of an almost certain lockout, where he will have no personnel power like in college, and with fans who will turn against him after the first 2-3 bad losses (he is not going to go 16-0, I think!). How likely is it that he will be successful? Like most college coaches he will struggle to assesmble a decent coaching team (again, with a lockout looming). Like most successful college coaches he will not have 5-6 creampuffs to slaughter every season so that he can build up his players' skills and confidence. Every game in the pros is a battle, and you can easily lose even to the crappiest side (like we lost to Carolina). And he'll do it with no QB, OC, GM in place and with a joke ownership?

I would much rather have a respected former NFL coach, not an "up-and-coming" coordinator like Nolan, or a college guy, because this guy has the networking in place to create a good coaching team. If Billick can deliver this during interviews, then he should be PREFERRED even if Harbaugh were available.

Oh, and I'm tired of seeing here the stupid argument "Harbaugh develops QBs". In college he does, where there are redshirt years, soft schedule games you can ease him in, and there are no 280-lb, 4.4 sec-running DE/OLBs coming in to kill you on every down. I'm also tired of reading about how Billick's Minny success was due to Moss (a rook) and (gasp) Randall Cunningham, who I got to see in person in the early 90s when I lived in Philly (=poor man's McNabb, only less durable).

I am not a Billick "fan". mind you, although I consider him probably the best colour commentator on TV, sharp-eyed and witty. And I most certainly have nothing against Harbaugh, he's an excellent college coach and may very well make a wonderful NFL HC one day. But it will very likely be with a less disfunctional team than the 9ers. I think people get too emotional about the Bay Area connection and Walsh having once been Stanford HC.

Sorry about the rant, I get to post about twice a year (this is probably my fifth avatar in 5 years, they tend to expire through inactivity ) and inevitably they turn into rants...
First things first, who is the GM going to be?
Originally posted by islandink:
At least when Billick would do our games he would question what the hell the offense was doing not throwin or attempting to get the ball to recievers down field lol.. Especially Vernon Davis ..ill take him lol

I also think Billick would have gone with the spread with Alex.

-9fA
Originally posted by daWest:
as an HC from jan '99 - dec '07, billick's offenses have never been better than 14th in the league ('01) and beginning billick's demise in BAL in '04 was his team's 31st ranked offense...in MIN, that '98 record breaking vikes offense had a QB who could throw the deep ball and the fade route. they had one of the and the most productive rookie WR ever (Moss) who could bring in those passes CONSISTENTLY. And they also had one of the greatest possession WRs ever (CC)...unfortunately this 9er franchise possesses none of those things

we really dont want to go this route, i'm telling you...not unless you wanna see more of the same...billick won the SB w/ Dilfer. Impressive as one might deem this, i find it to be terrifying if he's hired to be the next 9er HC. Why? The fact that he's won the SB once with a mediocre QB, and the likelihood that he believes he can duplicate the success he had in 2000, with another team, structured, in many instances, the same way. We dont want 2-3 more years of so-so QB play, bottom line.

the reason this team resembles the Y2K ravens? the PWillis comparison to RLewis and a relatively unknown at the QB spot...the reasons for the reason above are complimentary of Nolan and Singletary, both BAL defectors...

there's just no sense beating the same dead horse...

we DO NOT want billick

I agree
I know Baalke looks like a lock and that Billick is being talked about as his HC choice, but what about Billick as GM? He has experience running a team, picking players, he's got the West Coast vision and ties to Walsh....and we wouldn't have to deal with him actually trying to run the offense, which was the part that didn't work in Baltimore. Good at organizing people, definitely has connections, could still bring Marvin Lewis as DC for another HC, such as Harbaugh or Pat Shurmur, who also runs the west coast offense. I like the idea of Billick as GM because we need additional front office experience, and he and/or Shurmur could bring Donovan McNabb, the only available QB I see running the west coast effectively right away.
LOL. He will retain Alex and try to hit lightning in a bottle twice with crap QBs.

Originally posted by Joecool:
LOL. He will retain Alex and try to hit lightning in a bottle twice with crap QBs.

Word.

Word.

It's hilarious to me that you guys actually think Alex Smith would STAY in San Fran. Would you stay in a workplace where your bosses screamed at you, your co-workers had no faith in you, and customers boo'ed you?

GIVE ME A BREAK.
Originally posted by foreign49er:
Originally posted by ninerfan21:
Harbaugh is by far my 1st choice. If we can't get him I definitely wouldn't mind a Billick/Lewis combo as HC and DC, as long as he brings in a strong OC and they go get a good QB

This

Hey mayo49, how many days until the draft?

What day is it on?

No idea that's why I asked
Originally posted by chico49erfan:

Word.

It's hilarious to me that you guys actually think Alex Smith would STAY in San Fran. Would you stay in a workplace where your bosses screamed at you, your co-workers had no faith in you, and customers boo'ed you?

GIVE ME A BREAK.

My customers boo me all the time

Word.

you guys make it like alex will want to come back to the 9ers next year..

he'll go away and in 2 years he'll be the quarterback of a playoff team
Share 49ersWebzone