LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 296 users in the forums

Is Crabtree Overrated ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Crabtree Overrated ?

crabs got it just wait.
This is the same person that everybody else went insane over when he got drafted, right? Same guy that people wanted to make a HOFer after his rookie season, right? Hmmm...
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
This is the same person that everybody else went insane over when he got drafted, right? Same guy that people wanted to make a HOFer after his rookie season, right? Hmmm...

Well a lot of people thought his lack of explosion his first year was due to all the time off and not being in game shape, and he was still fairly productive. Second year we found out he is what he is really, not explosive.
With Harbaugh on board, you can bet your ass that Crabtree's training camp shenanigans wont fly.

I love how everyone is so quick to call Crabtree overrated. He has had 2 NFL seasons.

Give him an imaginative playbook and a decent QB and lets see what he can do before we label him ok?
Before Crabtree was drafted there were articles talking about the offense at Texas Tech being more like basketball than NFL prostyle. The QB and WRs would read the D and go to the open area--the plays were not tightly scripted. So, missing training camp has really hurt his development of precise route running and giving the QBs confidence that he would be where he is suppose to be.

Because of this I have not been overly critical and still believe he will be a good WR. He needs a coaching staff who demand accountability and who will put in players who are prepared rather than judging by draft position. As far as his hands go, I believe he has good hands when he concentrates but tends to be lazy when he doesn't trust the play or QB. Many of his drops were in exposed situations.

It takes a while for a WR and QB to develop trust. My criticism of A Smith is that he has not been in a situation where he could relax and help protect the receivers. That is, throw away from the hit not into it. WR don't want to be killed for a six yard gain on 3rd and long. This is the fault of Crabtree not being at camps and Smith not being coached by a professional QB coach/OC.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Apr 19, 2011 at 7:07 AM ]
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
With Harbaugh on board, you can bet your ass that Crabtree's training camp shenanigans wont fly.

I love how everyone is so quick to call Crabtree overrated. He has had 2 NFL seasons.

Give him an imaginative playbook and a decent QB and lets see what he can do before we label him ok?

Difficult to train work ethic. Do you think Singleterry condoned shenanigans? If he couldn't grasp and execute a simpleton offense why would he be able to perform in a Harbaugh offense? QB is not the problem, being responsible for your performance and execution will always be his problem. He is a lazy route runner with a skill set that can be defensed. A bad combination. Greatness comes from hard work and talent utilization. His talent is not overrated. He doesnt appear to have the heart and burning desire to use it.
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:

Well a lot of people thought his lack of explosion his first year was due to all the time off and not being in game shape, and he was still fairly productive. Second year we found out he is what he is really, not explosive.

At what point did Crabtree ever show off this explosiveness? Where are his numerous college highlights of 50+ yards touchdowns. We drafted Isaac Bruce v.2, but with a "me" first attitude. For some reason everybody tried to make Crabtree into something he wasn't. He's a kid that runs good routes, has good hands, and knows how to use his body. This was basically the scouting report on Crabtree coming out of the draft.
Crabtree is going to need at least 70+ catches and 10 TD's this season to remove the bust label he has earned so far ..but in his defense, the offensive system used last season didnt exactly provide him with many chances to make plays ...with Gore getting the majority of the touches and the offense being so damn boring and predictable, any talented WR would have struggled to produce in Singletarys boring smashmouth offense that never grinded up the opposition like it was supposed to
crabs will be a top 10 WR this year.
Well i see that the excuses are starting to come out. i dont really care, but his lack of production i'll have to say is about 75% him, and maybe 25% other influences, like QB, Playcalling,etc.

I think he's overrated by us 9er fans, and that about it, because the league just compared him to Jones the new WR this year, that had the same injury, except he put up great times with all he did at the combine. And then that was when he was hurt.

Lack of chemistry with Alex was Crabs fault in my opinion, he needed that Smith to VD chemistry. Smith didnt trust him to be where he needed to be, and he wasnt most of the time, i mean i can count on two hands, and two feet, how many passes came his way that were tipped continously. And it had nothing to do with whomever the QB was under center. Even with Troy, Crabs was good when the play broke down, and then they had to just freestyle the rest of the play. Anything scripted he seemed to not get yet.

I think it's too early for the bust label tho, i mean lets see what he does in yr 3, then we can see where he's at. Because my thinking is, he may be our No1 WR now, but if teams arent afraid of him, like a Fitzerald, or Boldin, or Moss, etc, then he'll never be. He may just be an excellent no 2.
[ Edited by Jersey9er on Apr 19, 2011 at 11:47 AM ]

Ive been to several games at the Stick between 2009-10 where I witness Crabtree running open downfield and a certain QB would of kept his eyes up for a split second longer he would be more productive. The St. Louis game at home was a perfect example of him making plays when the QB looks down field.

Now don't get me wrong I don't believe he's a #1 receiver but he could be a very productive #2 if we can somehow find a top flight receiver who has deep threat speed to compliment him and a QB who can get him the ball without throwing 100 mph fastballs while only 2 yards away.

Anyway I recall this same discussion about Vernon Davis and look how he turned out. So let's give Crabtree more time (sounds familiar?) with preseason if there is one and a QB that can get him the ball.
Originally posted by JustaFan45:
Ive been to several games at the Stick between 2009-10 where I witness Crabtree running open downfield and a certain QB would of kept his eyes up for a split second longer he would be more productive. The St. Louis game at home was a perfect example of him making plays when the QB looks down field.

Now don't get me wrong I don't believe he's a #1 receiver but he could be a very productive #2 if we can somehow find a top flight receiver who has deep threat speed to compliment him and a QB who can get him the ball without throwing 100 mph fastballs while only 2 yards away.

Anyway I recall this same discussion about Vernon Davis and look how he turned out. So let's give Crabtree more time (sounds familiar?) with preseason if there is one and a QB that can get him the ball.

vernon davis was a top TE and morgan had 700 yards which probally one of the best for a #2 in the nfl it is kinda hard to brlieve that smith thros it badly and doesnt see only crabtree when hes downfield
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

vernon davis was a top TE and morgan had 700 yards which probally one of the best for a #2 in the nfl it is kinda hard to brlieve that smith thros it badly and doesnt see only crabtree when hes downfield

Yeah ok you're right my eyes were lying to me. I indirectly made a certain QB look bad in my post my bad!

Yeah ok you're right my eyes were lying to me. I indirectly made a certain QB look bad in my post my bad!

im just saying maybe u mis saw crabtree being open downfield cause theyre is a saftey or something waiting to close in cause during broadcasts i rarely if ever heard crabtree is open downfield as smith throws somewhere else and i saw every snap of every game last year

im just saying maybe u mis saw crabtree being open downfield cause theyre is a saftey or something waiting to close in cause during broadcasts i rarely if ever heard crabtree is open downfield as smith throws somewhere else and i saw every snap of every game last year

If you really watched every snap like you said you did, then you would clearly notice Alex panic and dump the ball off before his receivers were given time to break their routes. Im not saying that Crabtree doesnt run sloppy routes and what not, but its unfair to judge him when he has played with a garbage QB for his entire career.
Share 49ersWebzone