Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fly15:

I thought you love susweel....

I love everybody! Woooooo!!!!
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Wodwo, I have read your post thoroughly so don't get all worked up!

And I agree with your thoughts. I just don't see Jed stepping aside and giving the keys to someone else.

I'm not worked up.

Am I?

Now I'm not so sure... what are you trying to say.

Yeah, I don't see it happening, either.

I just had a thought and I wanted to see if it was crazy. Everybody is talking about the Head Coaches.... I think it's an interesting question if it would be more likely to work bringing in an outside GM in the middle of the season as opposed to a Head Coach.

There's just so much stuff involved in football and it all has such an impact on a team.

I've been awake for 24 hours right now.

Get some sleep man! lol

All I know is that the pressure is on Jed and his crew, this time there is no obvious choice to hand the HC position to (like how Sing was crowned). I think everyone is extremely interested to see what move they make, it'll play a crucial role and will define Jed's future as the top person for this franchise.

[ Edited by verb1der on Nov 24, 2010 at 16:58:04 ]
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Our current predicament is as simple and as complicated as this:

The Top 4 positions in the organization are filled with people who are inexperienced and never held the position they did prior to this

Jed
Trent -- De Facto GM
Sing
Mike Johnson

Wow....

QB: Troy Smith

LG: Mike Iupati

RT: Anthony Davis

WR: Micheal Crabtree

I think Jed York is the same age as David Baas.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by verb1der:

Get some sleep man! lol

All I know is that the pressure is on Jed and his crew, this time there is no obvious choice to hand the HC position to (like how Sing was crowned). I think everyone is extremely interested to see what move they make, it'll play a crucial role and will define Jed's future as the top person for this franchise.

MAKE IT WORK JED WOOOOO!!!!!!

Have a Turkey! G'night everbody!
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Our current predicament is as simple and as complicated as this:

The Top 4 positions in the organization are filled with people who are inexperienced and never held the position they did prior to this

Jed
Trent -- De Facto GM
Sing
Mike Johnson

Wow....

QB: Troy Smith

LG: Mike Iupati

RT: Anthony Davis

WR: Micheal Crabtree

I think Jed York is the same age as David Baas.

Nice Parallel

Takeo Spikes could be Jed's Godfather, albeit a black one with a tractor tire for a neck
No.

Yorks have excellent value in the front office without a GM.

Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Who is the GM you want to hire?

People don't hire GMs during the season because you're basically resigning yourself to not hiring anybody who is currently working in football, or in broadcasting.

That, and, in the simplest terms, in-season changes are SOLELY PR moves to appease the fanbase. That's it.

Childress and Phillips didn't get fired because the Vikes or Boys needed to make a move to get to the playoffs. They got fired as a symbolic gesture to tell the fans that the ownership cares.

Fans want to see coaches fired because they see their face every Sunday. They don't care enough about GMs to need to see them fired during the year.

Other questions worth considering:

What are you expecting a midseason replacement GM to actually do?

If you want to make a coaching change why saddle yourself with someone new who the coach you desire might not want to work with?

Ummm...a GM can get a jumpstart on a new coaching prospect for starters.

2. You didn't read my post.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Originally posted by global_nomad:

#2: Jed is cheap. If he can get away with having a guy like Balkke complete GM duties w/o paying him a GM salary he is going to continue to do that.

If you want to argue that Jed is cheap, this is a very bad example. Trent Baalke isn't our GM because Jed wouldn't spring for anybody else, he's our GM because our GM left right before the season started and it ONLY makes sense in that situation to promote internally. It provides continuity in the operation, and quite frankly, if you hire a new GM at that time you're left with the scraps (people nobody else wanted, everyone has already taken other jobs). It's surely an unfortunate situation, but blaming it on Jed being cheap is a joke.

I keep on hearing this claim, but really, what is the evidence for it? Shall we trade pieces of evidence? I'll start with two pieces of real evidence about why he's not cheap, and then you give me two pieces of real evidence about why he is cheap. Deal?

** In the last six months we have resigned our pro-bowl TE to the highest contract that a TE in the NFL has ever received. Cheap owners don't sign off on things like this.

** In the last six months we've resigned our pro-bowl inside linebacker to the highest contract that an ILB in the NFL has ever received. Cheap owners don't sign off on things like this.

**We also did both of these things despite the fact that resignings are down this year due to uncertainty about future salary structures. Cheap owners really don't sign off on things like this.

You got that last one for free.

Your reasons for why he's cheap please?

[ Edited by PopeyeJonesing on Nov 25, 2010 at 02:43:02 ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

I addressed this above. If you want a highly desirable coach, having a new, untested GM in place inarguably hurts your chances, as an owner is the only person who has the negotiation power to offer a highly desirable coach the things they want, and to make concessions in power between the coach and GM to land that coach. A new mid-season GM might have a jumpstart on searching out coaching prospects (although even @ssholes like us already know who they are), but he SIGNIFICANTLY decreases our chances of actually landing one.

• FL9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

I addressed this above. If you want a highly desirable coach, having a new, untested GM in place inarguably hurts your chances, as an owner is the only person who has the negotiation power to offer a highly desirable coach the things they want, and to make concessions in power between the coach and GM to land that coach. A new mid-season GM might have a jumpstart on searching out coaching prospects (although even @ssholes like us already know who they are), but he SIGNIFICANTLY decreases our chances of actually landing one.

You are the only reasonable person to comment in this thread. Sad.
Share 49ersWebzone