There are 214 users in the forums

Hire a GM now?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Hellooooooooo everybody! This is my first thread! Yay for me!

So, I've been thinking about the situation we're in right now. We all know what's up, plenty of discussion about it. Singletary is not likely to be Head Coach next year... if he even makes it that far. If he doesn't make it until the end of the season, we all know the list of scenarios and the pros and cons of each. It's a bummer of a situation.

Anyway, this got me thinking about what we're going to do next season. I've read a bunch of articles, looked at the resumes of a bunch of candidates, etc....

Then I read Matt Maiocco's recent article about coaching issues and he brought up a good point about the possibility of a truncated 2011 offseason. This is a major concern of mine because I do not see the CBA situation being resolved quickly. If that is the case, Maiocco brought up another great point that a new coaching staff may only have a couple weeks to prepare for the regular season. This would obviously cause numerous problems, the largest of which is that it may be difficult to convince a new coach to take on that situation.

So, my question to everyone is this:

Why don't we hire a true General Manager now?

Here's my reasoning behind the query:

At the moment we have what is essentially an interim General Manager. Jed York obviously likes the structure that he has in place because it gives him power and makes every else in the front office his peons. The current front office is basically like a conglomerate of many individual positions each with one of the responsibilities that a full General Manager would have with Jed at the top as President & CEO. This basically makes Jed a useless waste of space in a suit who is pretending to be managing a football team, when in fact he is just making the stupid decisions about what Head Coach we hire while everyone else does all the actual work. So, that's the current system in as small a nutshell as I could fit it.

The current situation is similar to the one we had before Scott McCloughan and the organization had a "mutual parting". Scott's job seems to have just been split up between two other people as far as I can tell. I believe that this was announced as the permanent solution, but I still view it as a kind of "interim" GM... conglomerate thingy.

Paraag Marathe as we all know is supposed to be the "contract guy" and his position is "Executive Vice President, Football & Business Operations". I'm not so certain what his duties are... there are things that make you wonder how much power he actually has. I'll leave that for another discussion.

Trent Baalke is the "Vice President of Player Personnel", which is really just another way to say GM, as this is what the media and fans consider most important. The guy who decides what players are signed and drafted.

Lal Heneghan is the "Executive Vice President, Football Administration". Now, as I understand it, this is the guy who normally handles contract negotiations and salary cap. (So, what exactly does Paraag do again?) My understanding is that Lal and Trent basically split Scott's duties. I could be way off base on this, correct me if I'm wrong.

In my opinion, this structure is complete garbage. It needs to be tossed in the bin and taken to the landfill. If this organization is to thrive again, a real experienced football mind needs to be brought in and given control of all of these aspects of the front office. Jed needs to put his ego aside and bring in someone who actually knows what they are doing... because they've done it before with success. Who knows, maybe Jed will actually learn a thing or two and after Jed inherits the team, our ownership might actually be football Savvy.

So, that brings me back to the point that I wanted to make with this thread. Considering our current Head Coaching situation and the possibility of a truncated offseason, would it be a good idea to find the guy for the job right now?

My reasoning is that if we bring in someone who is experienced as a Head Coach, understands schemes on both sides of the ball, can analyze players and assistant coaches, and knows how to run a football organization, we can get a head start on the process of planning for next season. As far as I understand it, the GM at this point is mostly focused on contract negotiations and college scouting. We have the guys in place to do that already and they aren't bad at what they do, we just need someone to bring it all together to form the bigger picture. Right now, that guy is Jed York. He has no clue what he's doing. He needs to bring in help as soon as possible so that we are not left in the dust by all the other teams with established coaching staffs next season.

An experienced knowledgeable GM could figure out what players are worth keeping, what players to target in the offseason, what schemes fit our personnel best, and what coaches will be available to best implement those schemes.

So? Anyone think this is a viable option? Other than Jed's ego is there anything standing in the way of this idea being a good one?

If it sounds like a good idea, who might be a good candidate?

I'm at a loss there... I'm having a hard time remembering who's available. I'll do some more research on a candidate if anyone thinks it's a good idea.

Oh... and sorry for the length. My fingers don't know when to stop.

If you read it... thanks.
Who is the GM you want to hire?

People don't hire GMs during the season because you're basically resigning yourself to not hiring anybody who is currently working in football, or in broadcasting.

That, and, in the simplest terms, in-season changes are SOLELY PR moves to appease the fanbase. That's it.

Childress and Phillips didn't get fired because the Vikes or Boys needed to make a move to get to the playoffs. They got fired as a symbolic gesture to tell the fans that the ownership cares.

Fans want to see coaches fired because they see their face every Sunday. They don't care enough about GMs to need to see them fired during the year.

Other questions worth considering:

What are you expecting a midseason replacement GM to actually do?

If you want to make a coaching change why saddle yourself with someone new who the coach you desire might not want to work with?

[ Edited by PopeyeJonesing on Nov 24, 2010 at 05:29:44 ]
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:

People don't hire GMs during the season because you're basically resigning yourself to not hiring anybody who is currently working in football, or in broadcasting.

That, and, in the simplest terms, in-season changes are SOLELY PR moves to appease the fanbase. That's it.

Childress and Phillips didn't get fired because the Vikes or Boys needed to make a move to get to the playoffs. They got fired as a symbolic gesture to tell the fans that the ownership cares.

Fans want to see coaches fired because they see their face every Sunday. They don't care enough about GMs to need to see them fired during the year.

If you want to make a coaching change why saddle yourself with someone new who the coach you desire might not want to work with?

Did you read my post? Be honest.
Trent Balkee has done a great job
noob
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
noob

Yeah... it seems that my inexperience at starting threads cause epic fail.

TLDR

Yes?

Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
noob

Yeah... it seems that my inexperience at starting threads cause epic fail.

TLDR

Yes?

just joking man. i hate when people pick on "noobs."

Sure, I'll be honest. Yes, I read your post.

I'll continue to be honest:

The first four paragraphs can be deleted, and replaced with this sentence:

The CBA might not give a new coach a lot of time to prepare by the time the season starts, so should we hire a GM now?

The next 7 paragraphs can be deleted and replaced with this sentence:

It seems our front office structure is somewhat byzantine, and I suspect that Jed York just wants to be in power.

It's also worth noting that at this point, after the first four paragraphs you say you're ready to get to the true topic of your post. You then and make the same claim again after the next 7 paragraphs, but I digress.

We need a new head coach, and someone who is not Jed York to be coordinating the troops in the front office.

So, to clarify, I think you've used an extraordinary number of words to say something that isn't that well thought out, and isn't that complicated either. I responded to why people don't hire GMs in the middle of season. You've said that this is what the thread is "really" about in several places in your post, but it seems to just kind of be an organizing aside occasionally tucked into random pockets of rambling.

What exactly would you like me to respond to? I will.

[ Edited by PopeyeJonesing on Nov 24, 2010 at 05:56:45 ]
why not....wait till after the season. hire holmgren as gm. harbaugh as coach. aim for a WC offense QB like Kolb, Vick, Garcia?lol.

this sounds like a plan to me. although i said holmgren i still dont understand how he leaves the browns but i put it this way cause i keep hearing his name.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I think Jed is comfortable with Baalke, I don't think he'll make a GM hire.

Whether or not we hire a GM now really comes down to who are we going to hire and whether silver spoon i.e. Jed York will step aside.

As far as who to hire, I don't know many good options out there...the whole pats organization was raided a few years back by the Chiefs and Falcons...I hope the Dorks are doing their best to find a GM worth anything.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Sure, I'll be honest. Yes, I read your post.

I'll continue to be honest:

The first four paragraphs can be deleted, and replaced with this sentence:

The CBA might not give a new coach a lot of time to prepare by the time the season starts, so should we hire a GM now?

It seems our front office structure is somewhat byzantine, and I suspect that Jed York just wants to be in power.

It's also worth noting that at this point, after the first four paragraphs you say you're ready to get to the true topic of your post. You then and make the same claim again after the next 7 paragraphs, but I digress.

We need a new head coach, and someone who is not Jed York to be coordinating the troops in the front office.

So, to clarify, I think you've used an extraordinary number of words to say something that isn't that well thought out, and isn't that complicated either. I responded to why people don't hire GMs in the middle of season. You've said that this is what the thread is "really" about in several places in your post, but it seems to just kind of be an organizing aside occasionally tucked into random pockets of rambling.

What exactly would you like me to respond to? I will.

Thank you for your response. There is a reason I used "an extraordinary number of words" in my post. I will now address your post.

So? Anyone think this is a viable option? Other than Jed's ego is there anything standing in the way of this idea being a good one?

If it sounds like a good idea, who might be a good candidate?

I'm at a loss there... I'm having a hard time remembering who's available. I'll do some more research on a candidate if anyone thinks it's a good idea.

Your answer is in bold. If you had read my post, you might have caught it.

Again, I mentioned that I did not know who was available. I am not certain that you are correct that a broadcaster cannot be hired. Also, someone not working in football may be a good candidate. Good Coaches and General Managers take years off all the time. That does not mean they are not qualified.

So, that brings me back to the point that I wanted to make with this thread. Considering our current Head Coaching situation and the possibility of a truncated offseason, would it be a good idea to find the guy for the job right now?

My reasoning is that if we bring in someone who is experienced as a Head Coach, understands schemes on both sides of the ball, can analyze players and assistant coaches, and knows how to run a football organization, we can get a head start on the process of planning for next season.
As far as I understand it, the GM at this point is mostly focused on contract negotiations and college scouting. We have the guys in place to do that already and they aren't bad at what they do, we just need someone to bring it all together to form the bigger picture. Right now, that guy is Jed York. He has no clue what he's doing. He needs to bring in help as soon as possible so that we are not left in the dust by all the other teams with established coaching staffs next season.

If you had read my post, you might have noticed that I have given a reason for hiring a General Manager "in-season". Your response does not address my post.

My reasoning is that if we bring in someone who is experienced as a Head Coach, understands schemes on both sides of the ball, can analyze players and assistant coaches, and knows how to run a football organization, we can get a head start on the process of planning for next season. As far as I understand it, the GM at this point is mostly focused on contract negotiations and college scouting. We have the guys in place to do that already and they aren't bad at what they do, we just need someone to bring it all together to form the bigger picture. Right now, that guy is Jed York. He has no clue what he's doing. He needs to bring in help as soon as possible so that we are not left in the dust by all the other teams with established coaching staffs next season.

An experienced knowledgeable GM could figure out what players are worth keeping, what players to target in the offseason, what schemes fit our personnel best, and what coaches will be available to best implement those schemes.

If you had read my post, you would have seen that I wanted the General Manager to prepare us for next season, which may be truncated. Even if it is not, we need a General Manager with football knowledge to make the decisions instead of Jed York.

If you had read my post, you would have noticed that I want the General Manager to choose the new Head Coach.

These are the reasons I asked if you had read my post.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
are you an author or something??
I'd be all up for bringing a GM now, it'd give him some time to evaluate the coaching staff and players and try to pin point and fix the cause of the major failure that this season has become. But as many have pointed out, it's all up to Jed and his willingness to make changes to his power structure.

If we were to pick someone who is not currently working for any team, I've read somewhere, can't remember where... Michael Lombardi could be an interesting option. I've put some thought on that and it seemes like he's well known and respected around the leage. He works now for the NFL Network as an insider, which means he has good connections around the NFL and with Agents. I also read that he has ties with Jim Harbaugh. I don't recalled if he worked with Gruden in Oakland too.

Any thoughts?
I totally agree we should hire a GM right now. Why not? what harm could come of it? I say only good things could come of this move if we hire the right guy. We need every advantage we can get and giving a guy a portion of this season to examine our team from top to bottom can only help.

If I had my way, we'd hire a GM as soon as possible and then get Holmgrem as soon as the season is over to be out head coach. He may want both titles but thats just too much on one plate for anyone to do a great job at both positions.

We all know this thing needs to be blown up and started over, so lets get a head start on the process of player evaluation.
Share 49ersWebzone